Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese musicians and autographs/photos.

Japanese musicians and autographs/photos.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Japanese musicians and autographs/photos.

Postby SakeIt2Me » Sat 08.14.2010 5:30 pm

Hello, I have a few questions I'd like to ask you guys, since I don't know anyone personally who speaks Japanese. I have a pretty high chance of meeting some Japanese musicians at a couple of shows they're playing in Canada. After I successfully blurt out:
すみません。わたしのなまえわイサドラです。はじめまして。あなたのおんがくがだいすきです.
I would like to ask for an autograph, which I hope is this:
さいんをしてもらえますか?
And if there aren't a lot of other people there (which I don't think/hope there will be), I would like to ask to have a picture taken with them:
これならわかりますが?

I have no idea if the last two phrases are even correct, and I was wondering if this is all in the proper context for someone famous you've just met?
And do you think a Japanese metal/experimental/rock musician would care if I asked for an autograph and picture (greedy or no?)? Do these things get asked for at Japanese rock shows?
I think it would be very funny and lucky for me if they respond with "I speak English." But I don't think they do...

Please critique!  どもありがとございます
I'm going to make a fool of myself anyways, but I'd like to start off correctly at least... :)
P.S. I still only know hiragana. :blush:
Maybe I will meet you one day, maybe Wednesday, maybe not...not
SakeIt2Me

Native language: English

Re: Japanese musicians and autographs/photos.

Postby furrykef » Sat 08.14.2010 7:00 pm

Disclaimer: I'm not great at Japanese, and I honestly don't have the slightest idea how a typical (but polite) Japanese man would handle this situation. ^^;

SakeIt2Me wrote:すみません。わたしのなまえわイサドラです。はじめまして。あなたのおんがくがだいすきです

The わ after なまえ should be spelled は -- the topic particle is always spelled は, never わ, though it is always pronounced "wa". This also occurs in the phrases こんにちは and こんばんは.

I would leave out both the わたしの before なまえ as well, since it's obvious from context.

Perhaps [name]さん would be better than あなた in the last sentence. Generally, you should avoid pronouns -- especially those for "you" -- whenever they are obvious from context or when you can use their name instead, unless you're already on friendly terms with them (as opposed to a stranger). Here it's not obvious from context (if you leave out the あなたの entirely, you wind up with just "I like music"), so [name]さん looks like the best option to me.

Of course, you can also use the band's name instead of [name]さん if you mean the band as a whole rather than any specific member.

I would like to ask for an autograph, which I hope is this:
さいんをしてもらえますか?

This looks OK to me. (It'd be better to spell さいん in katakana -- サイン -- but obviously that makes no difference when you're saying it aloud!)

And if there aren't a lot of other people there (which I don't think/hope there will be), I would like to ask to have a picture taken with them:
これならわかりますが?

Well, my Japanese is far from what I'd call "good", but this doesn't make sense at all to me. これ means "this", the role of なら here is unclear to me (that might be just my lack of Japanese skills, though), and わかります is generally understood as "understand". I don't see anything here about taking a picture.

どもありがとございます

What you want here is よろしくおねがいします -- that's how you say "thanks in advance" in Japanese. (You might also know it as "pleased to meet you" -- the literal meaning is something like "please treat me well".) :)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby SakeIt2Me » Sun 08.15.2010 12:37 am

Thanks!! By the way I'm a girl, does that make a difference to how I should ask? I'm sorry to flog a dead horse, but to make sure I have this straight, I could say either
"BAND おんがくがだいすきです." Or
"Name-さんおんがくがだいすきです." And it would make sense?

The これならわかりますが? was a result of internet searching, I apologize. I'd love to go back in time travel about a year, and start learning japanese then...Instead I'm stuck googling with only a day to go. :blush:
I'll try this again:
this means "May I take a picture", right?
しゃしんをとってもいいですか?
So to ask "May I have a picture taken with you", what do I add? All I have come up with is to add いっしゅん before that phrase...(isshun-did I spell that properly?)

I hope I'm typing this properly, I'm new to everything, including IME...
よるしかおねがいします。 :D
SakeIt2Me

Postby furrykef » Sun 08.15.2010 12:58 am

SakeIt2Me wrote:Thanks!! By the way I'm a girl, does that make a difference to how I should ask?

Not in any way that I can think of.

I could say either
"BAND おんがくがだいすきです." Or
"Name-さんおんがくがだいすきです." And it would make sense?

You need a の before おんがく in either case (to make it possessive), but yes.

this means "May I take a picture", right?
しゃしんをとってもいいですか?

Correct.

So to ask "May I have a picture taken with you", what do I add? All I have come up with is to add いっしゅん before that phrase...(isshun-did I spell that properly?)

Are you by any chance thinking of いっしょに? That might work... you can add it either before or after the しゃしんを. I'm not sure if this is how it would typically be said, though.

One thing you could say is, わたしと[name]さんのしゃしんをとってもいいですか? (lit. "May I take a picture of me and you?" -- the と is the "and"). I'm sure it's valid but I'm not sure how likely it is to be said this way. You'll have to wait for others to be more sure about the natural way of saying things, 'cause I don't know so much about that.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Sun 08.15.2010 5:08 am

furrykef wrote:One thing you could say is, わたしと[name]さんのしゃしんをとってもいいですか? (lit. "May I take a picture of me and you?" -- the と is the "and"). I'm sure it's valid but I'm not sure how likely it is to be said this way. You'll have to wait for others to be more sure about the natural way of saying things, 'cause I don't know so much about that.

I wouldn't use both, personally. I would say, ~さんとしゃしんをとってもいいですか、as it's pretty clear you are the one wanting to take the picture with him! :colonthree:
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
The Lady Ashuko

Postby SakeIt2Me » Sun 08.15.2010 9:51 am

どうも ありがとう ございます。I feel more prepared now, thanks to you both!
SakeIt2Me

Postby SakeIt2Me » Tue 08.31.2010 12:07 pm

XD. Thanks sooo much, all who replied, my heroes signed my stuff, took pictures with me, and were all around awesome and nice. One even asked me if I spoke Japanese, immediately after I asked him for the autograph. LOL. If only. One very happy fan here. :dance:
SakeIt2Me

Postby NileCat » Tue 08.31.2010 12:30 pm

SakeIt2Me wrote:XD. Thanks sooo much, all who replied, my heroes signed my stuff, took pictures with me, and were all around awesome and nice. One even asked me if I spoke Japanese, immediately after I asked him for the autograph. LOL. If only. One very happy fan here. :dance:

You made my day! :)
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan