Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - BJT 中止

BJT 中止

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

BJT 中止

Postby NileCat » Wed 08.18.2010 7:30 am

Today I read some news about BJT. I hadn't even heard of it though.
The Business Japanese Proficiency Test seems to be discontinued.
http://mainichi.jp/select/wadai/news/20 ... tml?inb=yt

日本国内や海外の日系企業での就職を目指す外国人向けに実施されている「BJTビジネス日本語能力テスト」について、昨年度から実施主体となった財団法人「日本漢字能力検定協会」(京都市下京区)が今年度限りでの中止を決めたことが分かった。

Although I have no idea if some of you were interested in this test, since I got curious, I kind of searched about it.
A sample question I found was this.
http://www.kanken.or.jp/bjt/english/sam ... ple03.html

貴社加工工場改修工事に関する件

拝啓 貴社益々ご清祥のこととお喜び申し上げます。

さて、この度は掲記の件に関しまして、弊社に発注のご内示を下さいましてありがたく厚くお礼申し上げます。
 先日お話いたしました通り、細部金額の見積り等は後日お話させていただきたいと思いますが、取敢えず、弊社技術課長○○○○、技術主任○○○○の二名を出張させ、事前調査させていただきたく存じます。つきましては、貴社で関係者との打合せの日時を早急にお決めいただき、折り返しご回示賜りたくお願い申し上げます。
 なお、先般もお願いいたしました、機械の配置図などあらかじめお送りいただければ幸いです。よろしくお願い申し上げます。

敬具

Well, I usually take this kind of writing as granted because I live in Japan. But I found the style interesting for the first time in my life. I know it is challenging to make this kind of letter for not only non-native people but also inexperienced native people. What I don't know is that if it's difficult to read? It might sound an odd question though.

If someone is interested in business Japanese, please let me hear your opinion.
Thank you,
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Re: BJT 中止

Postby Hektor6766 » Wed 08.18.2010 7:13 pm

I think that this would not be difficult for anyone properly prepared for honorific/humble forms commonly used in commercial interaction and cordial forms common in written correspondence. The topics are directly addressed, as expected in written correspondence, and since negotiations have been completed and discussion of financial details intended for another time.
Hektor6766

Native language: English

Postby Hyperworm » Thu 08.19.2010 7:01 am

I was a little surprised by how difficult I found it to read. I don't normally read this kind of writing at all (except for the rare email from a Japanese online store or something I don't have much contact with "professional" language), so I guess it's to be expected...

益々 - I can't remember seeing ますます written this way before.
ご清祥 - I was totally unfamiliar with this.
発注 - I only knew 注文 ...
内示 - ah, "unofficial/private" notification. I assumed "internal" notification for some reason.
掲記 - this has no entry in EDICT, Kenkyusha, or either of the JE dictionaries on Yahoo!. 大辞林・大辞泉 have it though.
存じます - I was only familiar with 存じる meaning 知っています, and not meaning(と)思います.
つきましては - I've heard it before, but I never really knew what it meant.
賜る - this is on my study list but words like 賜る、奉る、承る、I keep forgetting because I never see them!

All-in-all a bit of a disaster :blush:
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Postby NileCat » Thu 08.19.2010 10:13 am

Thank you Hektor6766-san and Hyperworm-san for your helpful information. I understand both of you.
Interestingly, your opinions are almost the same as mine. This kind of writing is very difficult in a way because of those unfamiliar terms, but it usually doesn't bother us a lot because the meaning/intention itself is very simple as Hektor6766-san said.
For instance, if one of you asked the meaning/definition of ご清祥 to ten Japanese people, nine out of ten would need to look it up in a dictionary. (I personally think coco-san would be one of the ones who don't need the dictionary.) I haven't heard of the word 掲記 like Hyperworm-san. However, when we read it, we don't care. We read the context. And in order to do that, we pick up only the few key kanji (not words).

さて、この度は掲記の件に関しまして、弊社に発注のご内示を下さいましてありがたく厚くお礼申し上げます。
Well /,/ this time / subject above / regarding /,/ to our company / order / notice / gave / thanks / very / appreciate / tell you

We usually don't read the whole sentence.
Blah blah...関....下さ....礼....
means
Blah blah....regarding....you gave.....appreciate.
means
Thanks!

That is a knack to read this kind of writing. In most cases, the readers are not expected to "understand" every single word even if it's a question sentence in the JLPT-1 test.

Well, I'm not sure if it would be useful information though. Because it was my first time to see a typical Japanese business letter from a perspective viewpoint, I found it interesting and posted that. :)
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)