どんなに どんなに もがいても
ハリが のどから とれないよ
はまべで みしらぬ おじさんが
ぼくを つりあげ びっくりしてた

やっぱり ぼくは タイヤキさ
すこし こげある タイヤキさ
おじさん つばを のみこんで
ぼくを うまそうに たべたのさ

I'm attemptいんg to translate this, and I've made it up to the line そんなときゃ そうさ にげるのさ. I'm having a very hard time figuring out what そんなときゃ means. The only translation of it I can find is "in times like that," which would make sense with the preceding line (ときどき サメに いじめられるけど) about the sharks bullying him. そんな I get as "that kind of." Does ときゃ mean time? Is it an archaic or colloquial form of とき? I can't find it in a dictionary or grammar book anywhere.

どうもありがとう。
Jakarta

Native language: English

Re: およげたいやきくん

Postby micahcowan » Thu 09.02.2010 1:49 pm

It's a contraction of ときは (toki wa -> tokya). Happens pretty regularly in colloquial speech.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby NileCat » Thu 09.02.2010 2:25 pm

And three lines after, we'll come across a similar contraction "くわなけりゃ".
:ninja:
Spoiler:
くわなければ
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby Jakarta » Thu 09.02.2010 3:39 pm

Ah, I see. Thank you very much. Maybe these should be added to thejapanesepage's WagaWiki on colloquial contractions if くわなければ > くわなけりゃ and ときは > ときゃ is common. Does なければ > なけりゃ and きは > きゃ happen more generally or is it just with those words?
Jakarta

Native language: English

Postby micahcowan » Fri 09.03.2010 5:16 am

Jakarta wrote:Ah, I see. Thank you very much. Maybe these should be added to thejapanesepage's WagaWiki on colloquial contractions if くわなければ > くわなけりゃ and ときは > ときゃ is common. Does なければ > なけりゃ and きは > きゃ happen more generally or is it just with those words?

Generally. They're not "official" grammar of any sort. これは -> こりゃ, ーては -> ちゃ, ーてしまった -> ーちゃった are all common... and that くわなけりゃ could be condensed even further as くわなきゃ, by the way.

I have the first few volumes of this Japanese grade-school folk tales book series, 「イッキによめる」, which I bought under the idea that I could start with books with low incidence of kanji, and gradually work my way up the grade levels; but I didn't account for the fact that so little kanji makes it more difficult for foreigners to figure out where the word boundaries lie. I also didn't account for the fact that just because it's for first/second/third graders and doesn't use complex characters, doesn't mean it doesn't use complex grammar (from a foreign learner's point of view). They may be first-year students, but they have several years' nonstop experience listening to the Japanese spoken language, and will readily recognize even fairly butchered speech. Anyway, these books are completely filled with contractions of that sort.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby ss » Fri 09.03.2010 10:49 am

Just to add some colloquial forms

これは → こりや
それは → そりゃ
あれば → ありゃ

てはいけない → ちゃいけない
ではいけない → じゃいけない

てしまう → ちゃう
でしまう → じゃう