Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ~~ Jr.

~~ Jr.

Do you have a translation question?

~~ Jr.

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 09.01.2010 7:06 am

I'm just trying to find out how they say (NAME) Jr in Japanese. For example, when the father and son have the same name in English we say Brian Jr, or Brian Smith II, but what do they say in Japanese?? I've searched 'junior' on Jim Breen's WWWJDIC and other dictionaries, but wasn't able to find what I'm looking for. Maybe they don't say use anything?? Actually I can't recall hearing about any fathers and sons with the same name so maybe that custom is a western idea ~ ??
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Re: ~~ Jr.

Postby NileCat » Wed 09.01.2010 8:10 am

Actually I can't recall hearing about any fathers and sons with the same name so maybe that custom is a western idea ~ ??

That's right. It seems to be a Western idea.

Martin Luther King Jr.
マーティン・ルーサー・キング・ジュニア
John Rockefeller, Jr.
ジョン・ロックフェラー・ジュニア
ジョン・ロックフェラー2世
Queen Elizabeth II
クイーン・エリザベス2世

(Alexandre Dumas, a French writer, is sometimes called 大デュマ, which is a translation of "Dumas, père". And his son is called 小デュマ)

In Japan, it's extremely rare to have a same name as his father. Although I'm not quite sure, it seems to be "not preferred" in our culture. (I'm not sure if it's officially restricted by law.)
However, in some traditional art world like Kabuki, some names are like hereditary. They sometimes have the same names as their fathers or grandfathers or ancestors. In that case, they are called like:
二代目 市川團十郎 / 三代目 市川團十郎 / ・・・
And they sometimes use the title 二世 or 三世 as well. But I don't know about the strict rules.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Re: ~~ Jr.

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 09.02.2010 9:00 pm

NileCatさん、いつもありがとう!上手く説明してくれました。 思った通り日本人の習慣ではないですね。

NileCat wrote:(Alexandre Dumas, a French writer, is sometimes called 大デュマ, which is a translation of "Dumas, père". And his son is called 小デュマ)

面白いですね。  :)
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion