Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What does 〜て おきます mean?

What does 〜て おきます mean?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

What does 〜て おきます mean?

Postby milly » Mon 09.06.2010 7:36 am

Hi, I would like to know what 〜て おきます means. Have a look at my example below. Thanks!

e.g. 試験の 前に、勉強を して おきます。

Does it mean "It's better to study before the test" or "I am going to study before the test"?

If the meaning should be referred to the second one, then how about using 意向形動詞? It should be the same right?

Thank you very much.
milly

Native language: NA

Re: What does 〜て おきます mean?

Postby NileCat » Mon 09.06.2010 11:15 am

One of the functions of ~ておきます is to imply "preparation".

勉強します simply means that you are going to study.
勉強しておきます means that you are going to study <preparing (for the test)>.
Which means you expect that you will be finishing the adequate study before the test.

I'm not familiar with the term 意向動詞, I'm afraid. I googled but couldn't find the definition. It's Chinese, isn't it? I can suppose the meaning though, I'm not quite sure which Japanese verbs are called 意向動詞.

e.g.
会議の前に、彼に話します。(the conversation will be made before the meeting)
会議の前に、彼に話しておきます。(the preparation will be done)

アシスタントを手配します。
アシスタントを手配しておきます。

受付で分かるようにしておきます。
(the receptionist will recognize you because the "preparation" is to be made before your coming)

EDIT: I personally think it's similar to "future perfect tense" in English (shall have done) though, I'm not sure.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby milly » Mon 09.06.2010 8:26 pm

Thank you very much for your response. So what you're saying is that:

"〜て おきます" actually means "I shall have (verb - past participle) 〜" ?
e.g.: 宿題を して おきます。(I shall have done/finished the homework.)

BUT "しまいます" also means "will have done" so what is the difference between these two?

e.g.: 宿題を して しまいます。(I will have done/finished the homework.)

--------------------------------------------------------

Previously, I mentioned "意向形動詞" in my last post. I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear enough. Please have a look at the following examples.

e.g.1: 買います-->買おう
e.g.2: 覚えます-->覚えよう

(Verbs in the second column are called 意向形動詞)

I thought "〜て おきます" means "I am going to 〜" and sentences with 意向形動詞 would also have similar meanings so I just raised a question about the difference between "〜て おきます" and "sentences with 意向形動詞".

e.g.: 買い物に 行こう。(I shall/am going to go shopping.)

Am I right?

I guess I got mixed up with different types of grammar in Japanese. I'm afraid my post may be a bit long so thank you for your patience.
milly

Postby NileCat » Tue 09.07.2010 11:48 am

a. 宿題をしておきます。(doing it as a preparation for something)
b. 宿題をしてしまいます。(finishing the homework)
c. 宿題をしよう。(volitional)
d. 宿題をします。(I do / I'm going to do)
e. 宿題をするつもりです。

I'm afraid you don't have the same expression in English.
You'll need to read a proper textbook if you want to define those auxiliary verbs.

You asked about the difference between 「試験の前に勉強をしておきます」 and 「試験の前に勉強をしておこう」 in your original post?
The former sounds like you're promising toward your teacher. And the latter sounds like you're talking to yourself. Does it make sense to you?

EDIT:
I found becki-san's post in this topic is very helpful to understand the ~ておく.

becki_kanou in ~ておけばよかった topic wrote:1.〜ておくdoesn't correspond very well to anything in English, but it basically means to do something now in preparation for some future eventuality, or to prepare something in advance. It's often abbreviated to 〜とく and its various conjugated forms are then 〜といて(〜ておいて) 、とこう(〜ておこう)、〜とけ(〜ておけ) etc.

Here are some examples from Google:
節約できるときはしとこう
Let's try and save (money) when we can (because we may need it later)
賃貸借契約において注意しておいて欲しい事
Things we'd like you to be careful about regarding a rental contract (so you don't run into trouble later)
冷凍しておくと、便利なおかず
A few dishes that are convenient to freeze in advance (so you can eat the later with no fuss)
NileCat

Postby milly » Tue 09.07.2010 5:18 pm

Thank you so much. I have a better understanding now. :D

However, in your last post, I couldn't find any explanation about つもりです. For example, 宿題をするつもりです。as you have mentioned. I'd like to know if it's the same as one of the following:

e.g.1: 外国で 働こうと 思って います。
e.g.2: 外国で 働くと 思って います。
milly

Postby NileCat » Wed 09.08.2010 1:38 am

Unfortunately for us foreign learners, in any language, there is no "same one". Every single word/idiom/phrase has a nuance somewhat differs from the others.

宿題をするつもりです。(you aim to do / you are willing to do)
NileCat

Postby milly » Wed 09.08.2010 3:58 am

Thank you very much for your clear response. :D I know it's hard to translate sentences from one language to another exactly. Plus, different sentences may imply similar meanings but still there is a slight difference between them. :)
milly

Postby squarezebra » Sat 09.11.2010 8:50 am

whenever you see つもり its about intention.
サッカをするつもりです (I intend to play football)
映画を見たつもりだったが残念宿題がありました。 (I had intended to watch the movie but unfortunately I had homework to do.) 
Might I recommend you purchase a copy of A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar? Very thorough, and tons of example sentences for each grammar entry.
Spend less time thinking, and more time doing.
squarezebra

Native language: English

Postby ss » Mon 10.25.2010 10:33 am

Milly wrote:
However, in your last post, I couldn't find any explanation about つもりです. For example, 宿題をするつもりです。as you have mentioned. I'd like to know if it's the same as one of the following:

e.g.1: 外国で 働こうと 思って います。
e.g.2: 外国で 働くと 思って います。

The questions had been answered and explained.
Sorry to chime in, I just want to add this:

It's the same in English, there are many ways you can choose to express yourself.
* I am planning to do my homework.
* I will do my homework.
* I am thinking to do my homework.

As pointed out, you use "つもり" to express something you plan or intend to do, but the problem here is that, if you use "つもり", you have to bear in mind the grammar rule V dictionary form + つもり, or Vない form + つもり.

Grammatically, it's incorrect to write 宿題をしようつもりです。

宿題をするつもりです。 (okay)
宿題をしようと思っています。 (okay)

Hope it helps.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby richvh » Fri 10.29.2010 12:45 pm

squarezebra wrote:映画を見たつもりだったが残念宿題がありました。 (I had intended to watch the movie but unfortunately I had homework to do.) 

Wouldn't 映画を見るつもりだった be more usual? つもり doesn't usually attack to the past form (ALC has a whole 23 examples of たつもり, in contrast to over 600 for るつもり alone.) I think 映画を見たつもりだった would imply something like "I intended to finish watching the movie."
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Hyperworm » Fri 10.29.2010 2:38 pm

Or, "I was under the impression that I had seen the movie."
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Postby ss » Fri 10.29.2010 9:29 pm

映画を見たつもりだったが残念宿題がありました。
Goo dict gives 3rd explanation as 3 〔そうなった気持ち〕 and some examples from Weblio, it seems this sentence means something like "I thought I'd finished watching the movie (as planned) but too bad I had homework to do.

Maybe Nilecat san or Becki san can enlighten us? Thank you.

related topic
ss

Postby NileCat » Sat 10.30.2010 4:48 am

「映画を見たつもりだったが残念宿題がありました」

This sentence sounds off.
Why? That’s because there is a confusion of the time-line.
Let’s analyze the sentence.

1. 映画を見た・・・I watched the movie
2-a. つもりだった・・・I thought so / I was under the impression
2-b. つもりだった・・・I had intended to do
3. が・・・But
4. 残念・・・unfortunately / sad to say / to my regret
5. 宿題がありました・・・I had a homework to do

Meaning-wise, you can assume two different possibilities in terms of the speaker’s intention.
a. I thought I had watched the movie. + It was wrong.
b. I had intended to watch the movie. + I was not able to do.

In “case a”, he is telling about his (unsure) experience in the past. The (unsure) fact that he watched the movie might happen on that day or years ago, hypothetically. Then he continues saying “unfortunately it was wrong”. Ok, that makes sense so far. BUT, he says that he had to do his homework. This homework thing has nothing to do with his experience that he has or hasn't watched the movie in the past. Thus, this sentence is illogical and sounds weird.

In “case b”, he intended to watch the movie on the day. In this case, the problem is a simple grammatical mistake. He should say 映画を見るつもりだった instead of 映画を見たつもりだった. In order to convey the meaning of your “intention”, the word つもりworks only when it comes after the dictionary form (present tense).

The bottom line is this.
映画を見つもりだったが、残念、宿題がありました。
I missed the movie that I had intended to watch because unfortunately I had to do my homework.
NileCat

「~たつもり」の使い方について質問です。

Postby ss » Wed 11.03.2010 8:13 pm

Nilecatさん、ご説明ありがとうごごさいました。しかし、「~たつもり」の使い方について、ちょっとわかりにくいですね。 :blush: 現実には使用がありますか。よく使います?

「~たつもり」の用法が分からないので、どのように使うか教えてくれませんか。

どうかよろしくお願い致します。
ss

Postby NileCat » Wed 11.03.2010 9:39 pm

Sure. :)

“~た(past tense) + つもりだった(past tense)” would be the one that we frequently use in our daily conversation.
その本を買った。 I bought the book.
その本を買ったつもりだった。I thought I had bought the book.
In other words, it means “I had thought so. But it turned out (or it seems) that I didn’t.”
つもり usually means “something is your intention”. When it comes right after a verb in past tense, it means “something was your intention”. But in many cases, this phrase is used as like “I was under the impression that I did so”. “In the example sentence above, the action “to buy” was your original intention (in your mind), which means you are under the impression that you bought it. And when it is followed by だった(past tense), the phrase means the fact that “you think so” is turned into past, which means “you didn’t do that”. I think it is very similar to English past perfect tense.
We usually use this form to express some kind of “dramatic effect” especially with のに.
その本を買ったつもりだったのに!
You can express your regret or surprise or something that your original intention was different from the fact that actually happened (didn’t happen).

Technically speaking, “~た(past tense) + つもりです(present tense)” can convey almost the same meaning. However, it is usually used to express a kind of “excuse”.
その本を買ったつもりです。 I think I bought the book.
In this case, you are kind of trying to say that the fact you haven't got the book is not your fault. (Well, that is not necessarily true depending on the context, though, it is a common interpretation, at least)

Hope it helps. :sweatdrop:
NileCat

Next

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems