Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - best ps2 game ever

best ps2 game ever

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

Re: best ps2 game ever

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 05.13.2008 7:52 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:My roommate has senjo no valkryie; it looks pretty good from what I've seen of him playing it. Unfortunately I don't have a PS3 or a high-def TV so it would be sort of annoying for me to play it myself. But I may at some point.

While I am a video snob, and have an HD TV, my friend is playing it on his 20 inch ブラウン管. He says it's hard to read the smaller text, such as the name of the various weapons you can equip, but still completely playable.

When he brought it over to my house he was gleeing himself to death because he could actually read what was written under all the unit names. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby aqurii76 » Mon 05.19.2008 12:16 am

I think Final Fantasy X is one of the best ps2 games ever along withb Okami! Love both story lines and grahics.
aqurii76

Postby kanadajin » Tue 06.24.2008 11:35 am

Okami, at first I thought it was Okage: Shadow king. LOL Was that game ever, interesting.... I loved it, but there was way to much talking. And I was to young to even understand what was happening. The monsters you had to fight were always the same, either random flowers, like treasure chests... It was really weird. As for Okami, I don't think i've ever heard of it.

Coming in 9th place: Metal gear solid: subsistence(the third)

8th: TimeSplitters :), that game was definitely unique. Running around with headless cows, killing eachother.

7th: Even with it's childish theme & graphics i'm going to have to say Ratchet and Clank, the second and up your Arsenal. They were both equally good. And just fun to play.

6th: Final Fantasy XII: I loved the game, but people made me hate it. Constant criticizing can do that, the battle system was amazing to me, and I would just set on the uh... What do you call them. Gambits? I would rig them so while I was at school, my party was able to train and train. It was crazy.

5th: Metal gear solid: Sons of liberty, it was much better than the 3rd one, in my opinion.

4th: God of war

3rd: All Soul Calibur Games, I loved being able to choose from familiar characters.

2nd: Resident evil 4

And coming in 1st, BOOOMBBEERRR MAAAANNN, :) Nah. But seriously, I really don't know what the best game is, and by the way those rankings aren't really accurate,

I was just thinking of my favorite games, so technically the games are accurate just not the positions, however they're close enough. I'll think of a number one game soon, but for now I'm going to have to say

Okage: Shadow king.
kanadajin

Postby Akiahara » Tue 06.24.2008 1:41 pm

Sorry, kanadajin, I'm one of those that criticized the crap out of FFXII. I hated that game with a passion.

My favorite PS2 games... Final Fantasy X & X-2, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3... Digital Devil Saga is good, too, though I just recently got it, so I haven't finished it yet.

And right up there with my favorite games of all time is the Xenosaga trilogy. I LOVE those games. Epic, dramatic, fun, lots of game time... ah, I should replay them.

I clearly can't choose just one, either. :)
Akiahara

Postby kanadajin » Sun 06.29.2008 5:36 pm

Sorry, kanadajin, I'm one of those that criticized the crap out of FFXII. I hated that game with a passion.

Many people seemed to dislike that game, due to the fact the characters apparently grow younger each game. And by XII they were basically pre-teens.

I loved it, the battle system was very intriguing along with the gambits. The story line was really cool and the graphic quality during videos was astonishing, blew me away. Makes me look forward to the future, having those graphics during game play. Perhaps that's wishful thinking but I don't doubt that will happen. In fact we're quite close, with games like Crysis.

VIII was definitely my favorite, it was also the first FF game I played of the series, when i was younger. I disliked it at the time because I wasn't very good :P However I recently played it and I must admit due to childhood memory of the game, and newfound Madskillz :P the game is great.

FFX is also a good one, although I didn't finish it.
kanadajin

Postby Dustin » Sun 07.13.2008 11:41 pm

I vote for FFVIII or FFX

I never finished VIII due to constantly corrupting files, X was my first complete, didn't move until it was finished

XI I gave up on, being online and being behind my friends I had no life trying to catch up.
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby Zvono11 » Thu 10.30.2008 4:09 am

The best PS2 games are Bully, Grand Theft Auto(whole serial), God of War, Okami, PES08, and many others
PSN ID: Zvono

日本の車が大すきです.
Zvono11

Native language: Croatian

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 10.30.2008 1:18 pm

I liked God of War.. I think final fantasy jumped the shark after it did the final fantasy tactics.. the game was never the same after t hat..
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Wed 12.03.2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby Kenitai » Sat 11.15.2008 10:23 am

Final Fantasy X for me. And of all rpg's 8)
The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Postby Flik » Mon 12.01.2008 12:31 am

My favorite PS2 game is Ys: The Ark of Napishtim. It has old-school game play and an awesome soundtrack.
Flik

Postby Kalas » Wed 12.03.2008 2:31 pm

the best RPG is Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger!

None toped those 2 games yet. And don't forget about Phantasy Star online!!! (which u can still play in a private server =D)
Kalas

Postby Kenitai » Wed 12.03.2008 11:45 pm

Kalas wrote:the best RPG is Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger!

Those are on Playstation 2?
The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Re: RE: best ps2 game ever

Postby 8bitkoopa » Sun 04.19.2009 4:26 pm

Zukhramm wrote:Defenitly Shadow of the Colossus or Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

i love shadow of the colossus! and dirge of cerberus was really sweet too. personally, i don't own a ps2, but mooch off family and friends instead.
8bitkoopa

Postby Minami Sayuri » Wed 09.08.2010 10:51 am

I think my best ps2 game ever is/are....

Ar Tonelico 2
Ar Tonelico
Mana Khemia
Mana Khemia 2

^^ They're all RPG games.
Minami Sayuri

Native language: NA

Postby Jerrid » Thu 09.30.2010 3:45 am

Well I wont post any PS1 games on here since it did say PS2 games... but I would have to say God of War 1 and 2 really pushed the limits of the PS2. The sad thing is they cheated when they did it, but still the graphics and play mechanics were awsome.

Sims 2 Castaways... you actually had to control your Sim to survive on a deserted island and gain useful techniques and skills etc, opposed to worrying about cleaning the bathroom or watching TV in all the other games...

Katamary Damacy... every thing about that game screamed quirkiness! I loved it. Such a simple concept yet executed so well and the music... ahhh... wish I still worked at Game Stop so I could rent it again...

.Hack series or at least the first one was very good. I only saw a couple of shows plus the movie DVD that comes with the games... as one of the only few RPGs I have ever finished out of the tons I have played, beating that game means some thing. And you get to use your last game save from the old game to already be upgraded for the next new game.

Yakuza... a poor man's Shenmue, but very fun and entertaining none the less.

Tried Shadow of the Colossus and know it is a good game, just did not stick with it.

Also the SEGA, Capcom, Midway and even Taito collections, just because I remember a lot of those games and they are all on one CD... or two or three... great fun though.

There are many many more games, I just can not remember them all.
Jerrid

PreviousNext

Return to Games