Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Problem Translating

Problem Translating

Do you have a translation question?

Problem Translating

Postby Nodlain » Wed 09.08.2010 4:25 pm

Editted to update my progress on translating this myself.
Edit#4 or 5... Found 策 which is very close to the Kanji after (heart). Means 'plan', 'scheme', or 'step'. Still not certain that is it though because the top radical is identical IMO, but the bottom half seems to be off a bit. Maybe their hand writing is bad or they forgot what the Kanji looked like and half-assed writing it?
Edit#6ish... 高 - 'expensive', 'high', 'tall'.
Edit#7ish... 最 - 'extreme' or 'most'

I've been practicing Japanese for a short time now and I've got the Hiragana and Katakana down, but still don't know enough Kanji for certain translations. Especially when looking up radicals, etc.

I've tried using Jisho to surmise the meaning of certain words that I come across too; however, I think that maybe some of the words I'm trying to look up are slang...

Can anyone make heads or tails of the text in the picture below?

I can make out what I think to be words, but they don't match definitions I find online for spelling.
Am I finding the wrong words or is this some form of slang?

ばかっばかっ!!!
2カツ最高♥策
またやろう [nw'*)] <--??
すみ(ね)? あゆみ

Translated:

Stupid Stupid!!!
2カツ最(Extreme)高(Big)Heart(Love)策(Plan)
また(Again or Crotch) やるうん(many possibilities ranging from 'sex', 'to give', 'to do well', and 'to kill'.)
I'm guessing this line is "Again well done." Of course I'm not sure what the [ w`*) ] is for as they don't seem to resemble any symbols I know.
すみね(When looking up in dictionaries, the closest thing I get is 'すむ' which translates as a form of salutation. Not exactly sure if that third symbol is the hiragana 'ne' or not. Which I can't tell if that'd matter as neither すみね or すむね show up in the dictionaries.) Ayumi(name)

---Appreciate any help provided towards the slang and/or Kanji.
Nodlain

Re: Problem Translating

Postby ピーター » Wed 09.08.2010 6:05 pm

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think I can quickly point something out. I think you're over-complicating the third line, it seems to be a fairly plain またやろう, using the verb やる in the volitional, meaning something like 'let's do this again.' The next part of that line just seems to be a weird smiley. It almost looks like a winking face, with the writer being sloppy on the left eye with a mouth like a turned ':3' smiley.

* :blush: *

The kanji is certainly 最高, ’さいこう’, which means roughly the most, or best, or supreme etc.

On the last part, I think you're right that it's the character ね.
Last edited by ピーター on Thu 09.09.2010 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ピーター

Native language: English

Postby Hyperworm » Wed 09.08.2010 6:23 pm

This is heavy on slang, the letterforms are highly personalized, and you're missing half the context (unless you've just not provided it, in which case - do so please).
All this together means it's going to be hard for you to come up with a complete answer especially by yourself. ^^;

ばかっばかっ!!!
2ケッ最高♡[picture?? kind of looks like except not??]
またやろう∩ω`*) [← ∩ is a hand]
すみれ あ$み

What on earth is up with that second-to-last character >_> The れ/ね is already pretty unusual, but the second-to-last is incomprehensible to me if it's not $. >_>; I get the feeling that the intended recipient should already know the name so that's no problem, though!
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby Nodlain » Wed 09.08.2010 6:50 pm

Heres the original image.
Context would be my Japanese friend and her best friend. They are both in school.

Also, I love the input ピーター と Hyperworm、ありがとう!

My friend's name is Ayumi 歩美(あゆみ) which explains the last 3 Hiragana.
Her friend's name is Saki さき which doesn't explain the 3 characters to the left in pink.
Nodlain

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 09.08.2010 6:58 pm

Hyperworm-san's post is what is written in text form.

kind of looks like 笑 except not??

I think it is. The lower radical is just joined up.

2ケッ最高... never seen this before ever. I'd *assume* it means like 'Awesome x 2!!' but I should really stress that I have absolutely no idea.

またやろう (already translated by ピーターさん) let's do it again (sometime) given the context I doubt it would mean anything else.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Nodlain » Wed 09.08.2010 7:07 pm

What's the possibility that

2カツ最高♥笑

Means "2 big ass lovely smiles." ?

Haha :D
Nodlain

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 09.08.2010 7:15 pm

as I said, the actual text version of this is in Hyperworm-san's post.

2ケッ has nothing to do with ケツ, a term which is actually quite rude and shouldn't be thrown about on a message board like this.

最高 in slang terms generally corresponds to 'awesome' and has a similar kind of usage in Japan.

and, since I forgot to mention, 笑 is a kanji used to express smiling or laughter, rather like 'lol.'

Hazarding a guess, the name on the left hand side might be a family name of one of the two girls. Or 'Saki' was simply a nickname. Or it's not Saki. I don't know.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Hyperworm » Wed 09.08.2010 7:25 pm

I linked 2ケツ above (and now here).
It says there that it means "two people riding on the same bicycle" (one-seated). It might have other meanings, I don't know. You can probably figure out the link with ケツ. ^^;

I still think すみれ would be a name of some kind.
Hyperworm

Postby Nodlain » Wed 09.08.2010 7:33 pm

Ongakuka - wasn't trying to offend or be disrespectful by posting it again. Only trying to make more sense out of my translation.

I didn't recognize the link earlier Hyperworm, but thank you for pointing that out. :-)
Nodlain

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 09.08.2010 7:46 pm

Ongakuka - wasn't trying to offend or be disrespectful by posting it again. Only trying to make more sense out of my translation.

That's quite alright, I just didn't want this thread to go the wrong way.

At this point I should apologize to Hyperworm-san for assuming that it was 2ケッ when maybe after all it is 2ケツ ...if that was the case I'd ponder whether it was a counter for two 'bums' (the two girls) for an overall meaning of 'we're the best two idiots!' Still uncertain though.

EDIT: Thanks to Nilecat-san for clearing this up. I apologize for my misleading, outlandish guesswork ^^;
Last edited by Ongakuka on Wed 09.08.2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Nodlain » Wed 09.08.2010 7:54 pm

Ongakuka, you seem well versed in slang. Thanks for your interpretation. :-)
Nodlain

Postby Hyperworm » Wed 09.08.2010 7:54 pm

It looks more like ッ in the first image than the second one, but even if it is ッ, I'd assume it's ギャル文字. (That's a link! :D)

At this point I think I've said everything I can so ^^; I think I'm done with this thread until someone like NileCat-san turns up and marks things (in)correct. :D
Hyperworm

Postby Nodlain » Wed 09.08.2010 8:06 pm

Hyperworm, that wikipedia article is awesome. I never knew there was a Japanese form of leet speak. I knew they had colloquial terms used for slang, but this is just amazing!
Nodlain

Postby NileCat » Wed 09.08.2010 10:24 pm

ばかっ ばかっ !!!
2ケツ最高 ♡ 笑
またやろう ∩ω`*)
すみれ  あゆみ

ばかっ → バカ → stupidly cool!
2ケツ → riding a (motor)bike together
最高 → was great!
♡ →  heart mark
笑 → lol