Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Q About The Language(Not scripts)

Q About The Language(Not scripts)

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

Q About The Language(Not scripts)

Postby Hai-San » Fri 09.17.2010 6:56 pm

So,first off I'm no pro at Japanese history! I just started studying Japanese one week ago, and iam done with Hiragana both writing and pronunciating. :D

However I recently read in wikipedia that Japanese(before the scripts) language was from the Altaic language family.(Maybe not 100% pure altaic but yeah you get it)
(Myself i can a turkic language, and i've seen some gramatical and pronunciation similarities)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altaic_languages

The similarities iam experiencing, is it really because they both have an Alatic origin?
Or it just me :sweatdrop: ?

Can someone tell me more about where japanese came from?
Before they even had a script! 8)

This maybe a stupid question, but I wanted to use the forum and get answers from experienced people(Yes from you!) :blush:

Well thanks in advance or どうぞ・よろしく!
Love making distance-friendships, chat n talk... Just add me on your friendslist! =)
Hai-San

Native language: Swedish/Turkish

Re: Q About The Language(Not scripts)

Postby Hai-San » Sun 09.19.2010 3:22 pm

wow 50+ views and no one knows about it :roll:
Love making distance-friendships, chat n talk... Just add me on your friendslist! =)
Hai-San

Native language: Swedish/Turkish

Postby chikara » Sun 09.19.2010 10:49 pm

Hai-San wrote:.... Can someone tell me more about where japanese came from?
Before they even had a script! .......

My understanding is that little is known of the origins of Japanese prior to when "they had a script" (writing) which may be why no one has responded to your question yet. :)

Interestingly the Wikipedia article you linked to describes Altaic as a disputed language family;

Altaic is a disputed language family that is generally held by its proponents to include the Turkic, Mongolic, Tungusic, and Japonic language families and the Korean language isolate ....
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby micahcowan » Mon 09.20.2010 11:30 pm

I was one of the ones viewing but not commenting, because I hoped someone could go to more detail about it.

From the little I remember reading (almost certainly from Wikipedia), Japanese is considered (by some) to be an Altaic language, not because something is known about a common history between it and languages like Turkish, but because the languages are similar enough in some points to suggest that they may have a common history.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to History and Literature Discussions