Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A good idea to help with spoken Japanese?

A good idea to help with spoken Japanese?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

A good idea to help with spoken Japanese?

Postby TJack » Thu 09.23.2010 10:45 am

Hello everyone,

While I was watching an anime with English subtitles, I thought of a way to help my Japanese listening skills: find a show or song I have Japanese subtitles or lyrics, listen to a portion of it at a time, try to transcribe the dialogue or song, and when I'm done, check to see how close, or how far, I was transcribing it. It seems like a good idea to me, and I even have a Read Real Japanese CD for the book that I can test it on. Is it a good idea to help with listening to Japanese? I definitely won't know all the words, so I wonder if it is still a good idea or not even if I'm transcribing words/sentences I don't know/understand.

Thanks in advance!
TJack

Native language: 英語

Re: A good idea to help with spoken Japanese?

Postby ZetaFox » Thu 09.23.2010 11:24 am

I'm not going to say it's a good or bad idea. But I still find the best way to practice spoken Japanese is to actually speak it (with someone or by yourself). I don't know how far song lyrics will get you... I have always looked at music as sort of poetry (you have to ask yourself if people actually speak this way). Granted, it's probably still closer to the actual spoken language would be than actual written Japanese. I also find that listening improves with your speaking skill.

Just thought I would impart that. I also recognize it can be very difficult to find someone to speak it with. Ultimately, I find that the goal is to understand Japanese directly, rather than always be constantly trying to translate to your own language. This is very difficult.
ZetaFox

Native language: English

Postby TJack » Thu 09.23.2010 5:28 pm

Oh Zetafox, I do agree with your statement and it would be great if I had a partner to speak with, but I actually was more concerned with hearing Japanese, not speaking it. I should have made that more clear; I looked at my title and realized it read differently than what I wanted. I should have titled my post "A good idea to help with hearing Japanese?"

As for speaking Japanese, because I'm really shy and there isn't too many people I know who study Japanese, I usually make up scenarios in my head, and try to think of responses of what I would say and go back and forth with the dialogue. Far from perfect, but I do get to practice the Japanese I know, and I try to look up grammar points I'm not sure on or I don't know how to say.

Thanks for your reply!
TJack

Postby themonk » Thu 09.23.2010 9:36 pm

TJack ~you are doing great. keep it up
themonk

Native language: NA

Postby Onsid1952 » Mon 10.01.2012 8:41 am

Great! I like this idea it will helps me more in japanese speaks..Thank you very much!! :D
Onsid1952

Native language: english

Postby japankid26 » Mon 12.03.2012 11:47 pm

i'm trying this but its not music i listen to, its actual speaking, i have this app called tune in and you can listen to music or comedy and such in different languages around the world.
お邪魔します!

手伝ってください。
japankid26

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips