Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - "The <blahblah> is not open..."

"The <blahblah> is not open..."

Do you have a translation question?

"The <blahblah> is not open..."

Postby Snowflake » Sat 09.25.2010 5:08 pm

Please forgive me for posing this question but I've been driving myself batty for the last week or so, trying to solve this on my own. The more I research (textbooks, grammar books, internet, forums, translators, books on verbs, adverbs, adjectives and on and on), the more confused I get :? .

In Pimsleur, one of the phrases is お店は開いていますか。 ("Are the stores open?"). The answer given is always some variation of いいえ、お店は閉しまっています。 ("No, the stores are closed."). I don't think they ever gave the direct negative of the question: "No, they are 'not open'". Trying to find the phrase "not open" (and its companion, "not closed") is driving me crazy :cry: !!!

If I am interpreting things correctly, I'd assume "open" in this case would be considered an adjective. I could substitute "The store is not... big... clean... busy." From what I'm gathering, Japanese adjectives come in -i or -na varieties. "Open" and "closed" do not fit either of those categories. I assume that's why I haven't found them in any of the adjective lists I've consulted.

What I did find was お店は開いていない and 店は閉鎖していない. That's giving me a -nai ending (that's casual, correct?). I'm shaky on how to make it polite or more formal, to follow the form of the questions.

I hope this question isn't too elementary or isn't one of those "Why don't you get a grammar book?" questions. As I said, I've tried to research it on my own and now I'm all confuddled. Perhaps this grammar point is too far ahead of my level (I'm just a Beginner) but once I have a question, it nags at me until I get an answer, even if the answer is above my level.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide to put my mind at rest, so I can move on to other things. :).
Snowflake

Native language: English

Re: "The <blahblah> is not open..."

Postby TJack » Sat 09.25.2010 5:57 pm

I'm surprised that your book doesn't show how to negate a verb: it's usually the second grammar point taught right after teaching the present positive of the verb.

To answer your question, you need to change the います in お店は開いていますか to いません。 Then you can say, いいえ、お店は開いていません。, which means "No, the store isn't open". For other verbs, you usually change ます to ません to get the polite negative: たべます, たべません; いきます, いきません.

And in this sentence, 開いて is definitely not an adjective, it is the て form of the verb 開く. You can check out the Tae Kim's guide here: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar#contents and scroll down to Negative Verbs, and to Essential Grammar> Polite form and Verb Stems. This will get you up to speed on how to conjugate verbs in the present negative, both the causal form and polite form. You can also check out Compound Sentences and also Other Uses of the て Form to see how exactly are these verbs in your sentences are formed, and what do the individual parts mean.

Snowflake wrote:What I did find was お店は開いていない and 店は閉鎖していない. That's giving me a -nai ending (that's casual, correct?).

Yes, those are correct, the negative causal form of いる is いない.

And don't worry about asking questions like these, I think most members here would agree that it is better to ask questions than be confused and completely lost. :)
TJack

Native language: 英語

Re: "The <blahblah> is not open..."

Postby Snowflake » Sat 09.25.2010 8:26 pm

Thank you so much, TJack. You're right, I've seen lots of information on making verbs negative. "Eat this"/"Do not eat that". What was confusing me was, in the case of "The store is not open", I didn't think "not open" was being used as a verb. I thought, in this sentence, "open/not open" was describing the store's state of being. As in, "Is the store big?". "No, the store is not big".

To be a verb, I thought the sentence would have to be something like, "Please do not open the store". I'm probably guilty of trying to English-ize too much.

In any event, thank you for clarifying the responses for me! They will go on my flashcards as soon as I finish this post! That's what started this whole thing: I had one pair of cards ("Are the stores open?" "No, they are closed") and, for the life of me, couldn't make their corresponding cards :D .
Snowflake

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion