Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Help identifying a specific fried chicken recipe!

Help identifying a specific fried chicken recipe!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Help identifying a specific fried chicken recipe!

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Mon 09.27.2010 10:03 pm

Okay, so it's been five years since I was an exchange student to Japan and there was one food that I loved more than any other. My host mom called it karaage, but when I later asked for the recipe (or searched for it myself)I wound up with a different fried chicken than I remember! These recipes involved dusting the marinated chicken in corn/potato starch whatever and frying, but when I watched my host mom make it she had the chicken pieces in a ziploc bag with a whitish opaque liquid mixture (for lack of a better word) which she would pluck directly from with her chopsticks and fry.

Any help, either the name or a recipe, would be helpful and much appreciated.
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
The Lady Ashuko

Native language: English

Re: Help identifying a specific fried chicken recipe!

Postby chikara » Tue 09.28.2010 12:54 am

The "whitish opaque liquid mixture" was most likely a potato starch slurry. Just another way of getting the coating on other than dusting.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 09.28.2010 2:19 am

Kara-age is just fried chicken and there are as many different recipes in Japan as there are in the U.S. depending on who makes it. If you want to recreate the taste of your host mom's fried chicken the best way would be to ask her for the recipe. Unless you've lost her address?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Tue 09.28.2010 3:50 am

No, I have her address still, but she's not really a person that I can communicate with. I develop a victim type mindset with her. Too scared to talk or ask for anything for fear of her getting irrationally mad and yelling at me/treating me like I'm a horrible person. It's a long story. I actually am getting anxiety just thinking about it. There's a reason I cut ties with her. :?

EDIT: Also, I asked her for the recipe years ago and she sent me the same recipe I keep finding now and it's different. I also had the same kind at another family's house back then, so I thought it might not be entirely unique to her.
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
The Lady Ashuko

Native language: English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan