Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Could I ask you a favor?

Could I ask you a favor?

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

Could I ask you a favor?

Postby NileCat » Thu 09.30.2010 1:02 pm

I was wondering if someone could do me a favor and correct my unnatural English for me at times.
Since coco-san is absent now, I think I'm kind of responsible for some questions which require native-ish interpretation.
But I always find my answers awkward, to be honest.
I'll do my best to help out the questioners in this forum, But it would be highly appreciated if some of you could correct my English whenever you find it odd.
Thank you!
:)
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Re: Could I ask you a favor?

Postby micahcowan » Thu 09.30.2010 1:20 pm

If I notice anything, I'll let you know. Your English has always seemed exceptional, though; I obviously haven't been around here very long yet, but I wouldn't have known you weren't a native English speaker without you're saying otherwise in your profile and posts.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby Hyperworm » Thu 09.30.2010 1:41 pm

NileCat wrote:I was wondering if someone could do me a favor and correct my unnatural English for me at times.
Since coco-san is absent now, I think I'm kind of responsible for some questions which require native-ish interpretation.
But I always find my answers awkward, to be honest.
I'll do my best to help out the questioners in this forum, But it would be highly appreciated if some of you could correct my English whenever you find it odd.
Thank you!
I'm a little guilty of not offering corrections, I'm afraid. I'll make sure to do so in the future. ^^;

However, I'm happy to say that I couldn't find a single mistake in that post. :D
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Thu 09.30.2010 7:47 pm

NileCat wrote:.... I'll do my best to help out the questioners in this forum, But it would be highly appreciated if some of you could correct my English whenever you find it odd. .....

NileCat-san, I for one greatly appreciate the responses you give as a native Japanese speaker and find your written English better than that of many native English speakers I deal with. I have never corrected your English as I know it is not your first language and I did not want to appear picky but since you have asked I will do so in future. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby phreadom » Thu 09.30.2010 8:48 pm

Just wanted to say that I also greatly appreciate the help nilecat-san provides here with his very thorough answers. :)

I'll try to keep an eye out for any errors (or unnatural wording) from now on.

本当にありがとうございますNileCatさん! :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Hektor6766 » Fri 10.01.2010 12:40 am

もちろん、あなたの英語よりも私達の英語のほうがいい場合。 :lol:
Hektor6766

Postby NileCat » Fri 10.01.2010 11:25 am

Thank you everyone for your kind replies and encouragement.
I just wanted to say that I didn't want to be a "teacher" here. As I am Japanese and this forum is for Japanese learners, I often stand on the side of answerers though, I know all of you can be my teachers potentially. :think:
Regarding my self-study, this forum is like a paradise to me. Because I might be able to be helpful for someone through my studying English here! :)
So, please feel free to point out my mistakes, not only grammar errors but also like going "your explanation doesn't make sense" or "it sounds weird in English". I have a feeling that some of you have overestimated my English skills. I always wonder if my English would sound like "example-based machine translation".

ありがとう! :wave:
NileCat

Postby Hyperworm » Sat 10.02.2010 12:17 am

(corrections) wrote:I often stand on the side of answerers, though(あるいはbut。コンマは前に置く) I know all of you can be my teachers potentially.
Regarding my self-study[? 1], this forum is like a paradise to me. Because I might be able to be helpful to someone through (myは不要) studying English here!

[1] A little unclear. Did you intend to contrast "my self-study" with "others' self-studies"? In that case "my"→"my own" can help.
Also "for" may be less stiff than "regarding".
"This forum is like a paradise to me for (my own) self-study(ing)"
--------------------------------------------------
Perhaps I'll post any corrections in a small font, so it's clear they're an aside to the main topic. :)
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby NileCat » Sat 10.02.2010 11:48 am

Thank you very much, Hyperworm!
Your correction was amazingly helpful (maybe more than you think). That kind of help is exactly what I wanted! :)
Please give me a hand every now and then to improve my English! :pray:
NileCat

Postby SakeIt2Me » Sat 10.02.2010 1:55 pm

I don't know if I'll be much help but I'll give it a shot, NileCat! When I've learned more about Japanese I will need lots of help, and you help so much here you deserve favours! Someday I hope to know Japanese as well as you know English.

Because I might be able to be helpful for someone through my studying English here!

Generally, you shouldn't start a sentence with "because".
Instead of "through my studying" did you want to say "while I study"?
Either sounds right, but "while" is more natural in my opinion. (Others may differ.)
Maybe I will meet you one day, maybe Wednesday, maybe not...not
SakeIt2Me

Postby NileCat » Sat 10.02.2010 2:38 pm

Thanks SakeIt2Me!
I see exactly what you mean.
As you know, "I understand it" does not necessarily mean "I will be able to use it properly", though. I know so-called "conjunction and syndeton" are ones of my weak points. Since the logic of structuring a sentence is totally different in Japanese, I often mix them up.
Please keep your eyes on my posts!
:bow:
NileCat

Postby Hektor6766 » Sat 10.02.2010 10:11 pm

Good catch, SakeIt2Me!

One possible revision of that sentence:

"Regarding my self-study, this forum is like a paradise to me, since I may be able to help someone else with their Japanese while I study my English here!" ("even as" for "while" could provide emphasis of the simultaneous events occurring.)

You may be surprised at how many native English speakers would struggle with a sentence like that.

One day on a crowded bus, a man suddenly stood up and shouted, "My wallet's been stolen!" Immediately, an English teacher sitting nearby jumped up and shouted, "No! Someone stole your wallet!"
Hektor6766

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sun 10.03.2010 12:18 pm

Thanks SakeIt2Me!
I see exactly what you mean.
As you know, "I understand it" does not necessarily mean "I will be able to use it properly", though. I know so-called "conjunction and syndeton" are ones of my weak points. Since the logic of structuring a sentence is totally different in Japanese, I often mix them up.
Please keep your eyes on my posts!

Your posts in this thread sounded quite natural. I just have one correction from among them: "ones of my weak points" -> "a couple of my weak points" or "two of my weak points".
Gundaetiapo

Postby NileCat » Sun 10.03.2010 1:09 pm

Thank you, Gundaetiapo!
NileCat

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 10.03.2010 8:08 pm

Hektor6766 wrote:One day on a crowded bus, a man suddenly stood up and shouted, "My wallet's been stolen!" Immediately, an English teacher sitting nearby jumped up and shouted, "No! Someone stole your wallet!"

Am I somehow missing something really obvious? What is supposed to be wrong with "My wallet's been stolen!" ?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Next

Return to 英語の練習