Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Can 良い Mean the same as 好き?

Can 良い Mean the same as 好き?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Can 良い Mean the same as 好き?

Postby kentaku_sama » Wed 10.13.2010 3:06 pm

I was reading a comment and I saw this sentence:
『Holiday's in the sun』の曲と違ってダークな感じがまた良いね。
I couldn't figure out what it meant but when I looked up the sentence on an online dictionary, I found another sentence:
彼にその絵は良いねと言ったのは正直な気持ちだ
Trans: When I told him I liked the picture, I really meant it。
It said.  This clears it up for me but I need to know for sure if 良い Can be used like
好き

Ex:
猫が好き  I like cats
猫が良いね I like cats. Lit: Cats are good 

From that as far as I can tell, it seems something like: "Once again like the different dark feeling of the music on Holidays in the sun."

Is this correct?
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Can 良い Mean the same as 好き?

Postby micahcowan » Wed 10.13.2010 4:29 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:彼にその絵は良いねと言ったのは正直な気持ちだ
Trans: When I told him I liked the picture, I really meant it

It's not that いいね can have the same meaning as 好き; it's that the more literal translation of "My telling him: 'that picture's great!', was done with an honest feeling" is obviously a very awkward sentence in English. It's slightly paraphrased, in order to sound like a much more natural English expression.

From that as far as I can tell, it seems something like: "Once again like the different dark feeling of the music on Holidays in the sun."

I'm afraid I donn't understand your English translation, here. As to the meaning of the Japanese, I'd need to see more context to attempt a translation. It seems a bit ambiguous to me, without seeing where it came from. If I had to guess, I'd probably go with something like "[On hearing] the tune "Holiday's in the sun", [something: me? everything?] changed, and my dark mood became good [happy] again."
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby NileCat » Wed 10.13.2010 5:48 pm

Well, the speaker is referring to a different tune. And he says "This tune is fairly good". How good? He describes that it has a "dark feeling" (in a good way). And he says the "dark feeling" that he likes was not in "Holidays in the sun".

→ I like the dark feeling of this song which is different from "Holidays in the sun".
(EDIT: My use of "which" doesn't seem appropreate for some reason...anyway. :blush:)

And, また means "too/as well", however, it could mean something like "pretty/quite/fairly" depending on the context.

Maybe, the speaker liked "Holidays in the sun" which has a "bright feeling". But now, he finds that this "dark" song is (very) good, (too). Makes sense? :sweatdrop:
Last edited by NileCat on Wed 10.13.2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby Hyperworm » Wed 10.13.2010 5:50 pm

If you're saying something is good, you probably like it. So translating 良い as "like" will often be fine and the most natural way to translate. But like micahcowan, I wouldn't say 良い can mean 好き.
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby Hektor6766 » Wed 10.13.2010 11:50 pm

I like the dark feeling of this song which is different from "Holidays in the sun".
(EDIT: My use of "which" doesn't seem appropreate for some reason...anyway.

The relative pronoun which has to be clear in its relation. Again, in conversation the listener would assume you're referring to the dark mood, and not simply pointing out that these are two different songs. Which should be closer to the relative noun it identifies (feeling in this sentence is a verbal noun), with this and that demonstrative pronouns to separate the two related objects (and in this case the active form of the verb is better; this song diverges from that other one): "I like the dark feeling which in this song differs from that of [which is in] 'Holidays in the Sun'."

Appropriate was probably a typo.
Hektor6766

Postby Hyperworm » Thu 10.14.2010 7:33 am

I'd do

"I quite like the dark feeling/mood it has too; it's different(/a departure from) the(ir other?) song 'Holidays in the sun'."
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems