Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - This doesn't seem quite right to me.

This doesn't seem quite right to me.

Do you have a translation question?

This doesn't seem quite right to me.

Postby Rileyk90 » Mon 10.18.2010 10:35 pm

I am trying to write out what i have going on during my school week in japanese everyday on my whiteboard to get extra practice. I have a sociology test tomorrow and I was wondering if someone would check this sentence. 明日、僕は社会学のテスト有る。 what I'm trying to say is "Tomorrow I have a sociology test."
Rileyk90

Native language: English

Re: This doesn't seem quite right to me.

Postby chikara » Mon 10.18.2010 10:51 pm

There is a particle missing. :)

I believe ある is usually written in kana.

明日、僕は社会学のテストある。

You could also use 受ける meaning "to take a test";

明日、僕は社会学のテストを受ける。
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Rileyk90 » Mon 10.18.2010 10:59 pm

Thanks! on my board I had written it with を following テスト. Would that work in the place of が ?
Rileyk90

Native language: English

Postby TJack » Mon 10.18.2010 11:23 pm

Rileyk90 wrote:Thanks! on my board I had written it with を following テスト. Would that work in the place of が ?

No, because ある can't take a direct object, you can't "ある" something. ある just states that something (an inanimate object) exist.
TJack

Native language: 英語

Postby chikara » Mon 10.18.2010 11:25 pm

Rileyk90 wrote:Thanks! on my board I had written it with を following テスト. Would that work in the place of が ?

No, を marks the direct object of an action, ie the thing that is acted upon. ある, "to have", does not have an object but a subject, ie what do you have, so it uses the subject marker が. Having something, in this context, is a state rather than an action.

If you use 受ける, "to take a test", then you use を as the test is the direct object of the "taking", an action.

Edit: As per TJack-san's post it is probably better to think of ある as "exists" rather than "to have" which then makes it clearer that it is not an action.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion