Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - two texts

two texts

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

two texts

Postby themonk » Thu 10.21.2010 7:54 pm

Thank you.
Last edited by themonk on Tue 08.02.2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themonk

Native language: NA

Re: two textbooks, Genki and Pimsleur

Postby Dustin » Sat 10.23.2010 5:46 pm

You may wish to check out these 2 links on TJP

http://thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php? ... tbook_List

http://thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php?title=Textbook

They both have a little information on Elementary Japanese, but not on Beginning Japanese.

Most of the more popular texts are in these pages ( though it IS a touch dated of course ) but the two texts that really stack up are Genki and JFE as being great.

I can't comment on the other two, only go with what I've heard, read and have had access to, but can vouch for these 2 in particular as being top end books.
Genki of course takes you far through the books, but have many separate components to purchase for answer key, more exercises, audio etc.

As far as bang for the buck goes, I would grab JFE, but if money isn't the issue, then genki does seem to hold your hand a little bit more, which can be important with such a difficult language to learn ( relatively )
JFE is a little faster paced, where genki goes into a bit more detail, but has a built in answer key, MANY examples and exercises, but the audio was only ever available on tape, they never re-made it on cd and stopped selling the audio.

2 options, all of the audio scripts are in the back, so someone can read them ( preferable a japanese friend ) or see if you can find a copy of the audio yourself.
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Sun 10.24.2010 8:26 am

I wrote a comparison of "Genki I" and "Japanese For Everyone" that might be helpful here. :)

"Genki I" and "Japanese For Everyone" textbook comparisons.

It covers my views in detail (with photos) on the differences between Genki I and Japanese For Everyone. :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby themonk » Mon 10.25.2010 7:14 pm

Thank you, Phreadom, for the post. I went over to read the original post you wrote. Very in-depth analysis and comparison. Thank you.

phreadom wrote:I wrote a comparison of "Genki I" and "Japanese For Everyone" that might be helpful here. :)

"Genki I" and "Japanese For Everyone" textbook comparisons.

It covers my views in detail (with photos) on the differences between Genki I and Japanese For Everyone. :bow:
themonk

Postby themonk » Mon 10.25.2010 7:18 pm

Thank you so much, Justin, for the two links. I appreciate the annotations you added following the link addresses as well. It sure helped.

I am going to get those books. (yes, it is a hard language for me.)

Dustin_Calgary wrote:You may wish to check out these 2 links on TJP

http://thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php? ... tbook_List

http://thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php?title=Textbook

They both have a little information on Elementary Japanese, but not on Beginning Japanese.

Most of the more popular texts are in these pages ( though it IS a touch dated of course ) but the two texts that really stack up are Genki and JFE as being great.

I can't comment on the other two, only go with what I've heard, read and have had access to, but can vouch for these 2 in particular as being top end books.
Genki of course takes you far through the books, but have many separate components to purchase for answer key, more exercises, audio etc.

As far as bang for the buck goes, I would grab JFE, but if money isn't the issue, then genki does seem to hold your hand a little bit more, which can be important with such a difficult language to learn ( relatively )
JFE is a little faster paced, where genki goes into a bit more detail, but has a built in answer key, MANY examples and exercises, but the audio was only ever available on tape, they never re-made it on cd and stopped selling the audio.

2 options, all of the audio scripts are in the back, so someone can read them ( preferable a japanese friend ) or see if you can find a copy of the audio yourself.
themonk

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips