Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese - English \ Kanji Dictionary

Japanese - English \ Kanji Dictionary

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Japanese - English \ Kanji Dictionary

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Thu 10.21.2010 7:18 pm

I've been searching for some paperback\hardcover dictionarys. :P

Kodansha's Furigana Japanese-English Dictionary
http://www.kodansha-intl.com/books/9784770027504/
The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary
http://www.kodansha-intl.com/books/9784770028556/

....were both highly recommended. Anyone have a printed dictionary they'd like to recommend? Please clarify why you like it with addtional details. :wink:
血まみれ剣術師
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed 09.16.2009 8:26 pm
Location: North Carolina
Native language: English

Re: Japanese - English \ Kanji Dictionary

Postby Hektor6766 » Fri 10.22.2010 12:34 am

The New Nelson's is also good. It has a larger vocabulary, standard characters and their non-standard variants, domestic and foreign geographical list, historical table, weights and measures, stroke-counting and radical identification methods, names and English translations of all radicals at each radical heading, a full reading index (on and kun, not nanori) and joyo list (now a little outdated).

But that Kanji Learner's is a great value for the beginning and intermediate student, the SKIP method is a huge help, even as you familiarize yourself with the radicals.
Hektor6766
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu 09.24.2009 3:40 pm
Native language: English

Re: Japanese - English \ Kanji Dictionary

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Fri 10.22.2010 3:32 pm

I've used that J-E dictionary and have found it to be lacking recently. It's a small book and thus missing a lot of words. I got http://webshop.kenkyusha.co.jp/book/978-4-7674-2058-5.html at my college bookstore and I think it's been great so far. It doesn't have furigana, but that isn't such a problem in a J-E since the entry head is in kana anyway. It just means you might not be able to read all of the words in example sentences.

I have not used that particular dictionary, but I have this one: http://www.kodansha-intl.com/books/9784770028914/ and I'm very happy with it.
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
User avatar
The Lady Ashuko
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue 07.06.2010 12:38 pm
Location: テキサス
Native language: English
Gender: Female

Re: Japanese - English \ Kanji Dictionary

Postby Hyperworm » Fri 10.22.2010 3:54 pm

The Lady Ashuko wrote:I've used that J-E dictionary and have found it to be lacking recently. It's a small book and thus missing a lot of words.
That's my opinion of Kodansha's Furigana Japanese-English Dictionary as well. It's not comprehensive enough. The furigana isn't worth that trade-off.

The Kanji Learner's Dictionary is good though.

Beyond that I can't offer many suggestions for paper dictionaries. I love my iPod + Kenkyuusha's New J-E 5th Edition (Green Goddess).
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
User avatar
Hyperworm
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue 11.20.2007 2:26 pm
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Japanese - English \ Kanji Dictionary

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Fri 10.22.2010 8:00 pm

The Lady Ashuko wrote:I've used that J-E dictionary and have found it to be lacking recently. It's a small book and thus missing a lot of words. I got http://webshop.kenkyusha.co.jp/book/978-4-7674-2058-5.html at my college bookstore and I think it's been great so far. It doesn't have furigana, but that isn't such a problem in a J-E since the entry head is in kana anyway. It just means you might not be able to read all of the words in example sentences.

I have not used that particular dictionary, but I have this one: http://www.kodansha-intl.com/books/9784770028914/ and I'm very happy with it.


Kenkyusha's New Japanese - English Dictionary
http://www.amazon.com/Kenkyushas-New-Ja ... 945&sr=1-3
血まみれ剣術師
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed 09.16.2009 8:26 pm
Location: North Carolina
Native language: English

Re: Japanese - English \ Kanji Dictionary

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Fri 10.22.2010 11:43 pm

血まみれ剣術師 wrote:Kenkyusha's New Japanese - English Dictionary
http://www.amazon.com/Kenkyushas-New-Ja ... 945&sr=1-3


O.O That. That's an expensive book!
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
User avatar
The Lady Ashuko
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue 07.06.2010 12:38 pm
Location: テキサス
Native language: English
Gender: Female

Re: Japanese - English \ Kanji Dictionary

Postby Hyperworm » Sat 10.23.2010 7:40 am

The digital version I own was only about £65 or something. Worth every penny in my opinion. But I'm not sure I'd recommend paying so much more for the paper dictionary ^^;
It might be possible to find it cheaper elsewhere of course, like Amazon Japan.
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
User avatar
Hyperworm
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue 11.20.2007 2:26 pm
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Japanese - English \ Kanji Dictionary

Postby phreadom » Sun 10.24.2010 8:58 am

The Lady Ashuko wrote:
血まみれ剣術師 wrote:Kenkyusha's New Japanese - English Dictionary
http://www.amazon.com/Kenkyushas-New-Ja ... 945&sr=1-3


O.O That. That's an expensive book!


If you thought THAT was bad... that's just the 4th edition price. Check out the new 5th Edition price:

$1,252.63


.... I think my head just exploded. :o

(I'm reading more about it on Wikipedia; Kenkyūsha's New Japanese-English Dictionary, and so on... maybe I'd rather get an electronic dictionary that included this... I'd think it would have to be cheaper? I'm seeing the Casio EX-word XD-A9800 for instance for around $400 to $500, which includes the 5th edition and quite a few other dictionaries, for around the price of the 4th edition hardcover book.

I haven't looked up the rest of them or read reviews etc to see which is the most recommended...

I'm just still really shocked at the incredibly high price of the "paper edition" of the dictionary... wow... :shock: )

EDIT: OH WOW...

新和英大辞典 第5版 ― 並装 「ハードカバー」 -- 価格:¥ 18,900 (~$233USD)

That a profound price disparity. I wonder how much the cost of shipping would add to that? Not that it really matters... it's still well over $1,000 cheaper! :P
猿も木から落ちる
User avatar
phreadom
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun 01.29.2006 8:43 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Native language: U.S. English (米語)
Gender: Male

Re: Japanese - English \ Kanji Dictionary

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Thu 01.27.2011 2:04 pm

phreadom wrote:
The Lady Ashuko wrote:
血まみれ剣術師 wrote:Kenkyusha's New Japanese - English Dictionary
http://www.amazon.com/Kenkyushas-New-Ja ... 945&sr=1-3


O.O That. That's an expensive book!


If you thought THAT was bad... that's just the 4th edition price. Check out the new 5th Edition price:

$1,252.63


.... I think my head just exploded. :o

(I'm reading more about it on Wikipedia; Kenkyūsha's New Japanese-English Dictionary, and so on... maybe I'd rather get an electronic dictionary that included this... I'd think it would have to be cheaper? I'm seeing the Casio EX-word XD-A9800 for instance for around $400 to $500, which includes the 5th edition and quite a few other dictionaries, for around the price of the 4th edition hardcover book.

I haven't looked up the rest of them or read reviews etc to see which is the most recommended...

I'm just still really shocked at the incredibly high price of the "paper edition" of the dictionary... wow... :shock: )

EDIT: OH WOW...

新和英大辞典 第5版 ― 並装 「ハードカバー」 -- 価格:¥ 18,900 (~$233USD)

That a profound price disparity. I wonder how much the cost of shipping would add to that? Not that it really matters... it's still well over $1,000 cheaper! :P


Today I'm lucky enough to have fifth edition in my hands thanks to my local library. An outside library lender is allowing me to use it till Feb 15 off premises. It's huge in person. lol The best place to try out books before you buy them is a library. :mrgreen:

I've been mostly absent from the internet for over a month now due to moving to another location. During that time I built another rig. :D Hoping to have my phone line and everything else hooked up tomorrow... maybe. :?
血まみれ剣術師
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed 09.16.2009 8:26 pm
Location: North Carolina
Native language: English


Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests