Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is おとうさま ever used metaphorically?

Is おとうさま ever used metaphorically?

Do you have a translation question?

Is おとうさま ever used metaphorically?

Postby furrykef » Fri 10.22.2010 12:45 am

I'm workin' on a translation of Gekikame Ninja Den, the first Ninja Turtles game, for LLTVG. I noticed that April refers to Master Splinter throughout the game as おとうさま. I suspect this is strictly metaphorical -- that April sees Splinter as a father figure, rather than Splinter literally being her father. However, since this game may have been made before the TMNT cartoon was localized in Japan (it doesn't even have TMNT in the title or anywhere else), it's also possible that some, er, liberties were taken. Which do you think it is? :think:

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Re: Is おとうさま ever used metaphorically?

Postby NileCat » Sat 10.23.2010 12:44 pm

I know next to nothing about the Ninja Turtles.
Only reading the script in the link, おとうさま sounds literally being her father to me.
If it is お父様, he is her biological father. If it is お義父様, he is her father-in-law. But, of course, it is possible that it is metaphorical in the fictional story.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Re: Is おとうさま ever used metaphorically?

Postby micahcowan » Sat 10.23.2010 3:35 pm

Splinter is a giant mutated rat, who took on four giant mutated turtles, becoming like a father to them, and teaching them the arts of ninjitsu.

April is a journalist the ninja turtles rescued at one point, and has become their friend.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion