Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hello

Hello

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hello

Postby ミルズさん » Sun 10.24.2010 6:06 am

Hi,

Currently living in Japan and have been for the last 7-8 months. Studied 3 months before coming here. I study pretty much everyday and my listening isn't too bad but speaking in an accurate sentence is still very tough.

Got a good handle on basic JLPT 5 Kanji and currently trying to improve my vocabulary. Using the Japanese for Busy People Book II at the moment as well as my Iphone.

Question!

How do I use this site? The learn section seems a little confusing as the lessons are kinda of...random?
Also, I have the Ipod app created by this website and I would like to know whats wrong with it recently. There was an update to the software but now it keeps crashing all the time and it doesn't get to 100% even when I have mastered all the vocab within the range.

Thanks
ミルズさん

Native language: English

Re: Hello

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Sun 10.24.2010 2:27 pm

Welcome to TJP! :D

Are you an exchange student in Japan :?:
血まみれ剣術師

Postby phreadom » Sun 10.24.2010 3:10 pm

ミルズさん wrote:Question!

How do I use this site? The learn section seems a little confusing as the lessons are kinda of...random?
Also, I have the Ipod app created by this website and I would like to know whats wrong with it recently. There was an update to the software but now it keeps crashing all the time and it doesn't get to 100% even when I have mastered all the vocab within the range.

Thanks

Welcome ミルズさん! :wave:

I pointed out your message to Clay (he owns the site and produces the iPod/iPhone/iPad apps), so hopefully he can help you out with the iPod app. :)

As for the organization, I understand what you mean about the lessons being kind of random... currently that's basically what they are. :( While we tried to organize a bit by difficulty level, there isn't currently any real step by step course to walk someone through the learning process.

Hopefully we'll get a chance before too long to try taking all this content and building something a little more structured from it. Currently your best bet is to get your hands on a good textbook and use TJP as a supplement to that where you can ask questions, play games, chat with people who share a common interest and language learning goal etc. :)

If you have any other ideas or comments, please let us know. Thanks! :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby clay » Sun 10.24.2010 3:14 pm

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you email me (clay at the japan shop . Com) about the app? Which app are you using?
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Mon 10.25.2010 1:17 am

TJPへようこそ  :)

ミルズさん wrote:..... Currently living in Japan and have been for the last 7-8 months. .....

In that time how many Japanese people have you heard use their own name with the さん suffix? :think:

:)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby ミルズさん » Mon 10.25.2010 9:58 am

Exactly Zero.

However, this is a tongue-in-cheek joke which I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain. You see, Mills is not my name, its the name of the main character in my study book. It's a generic western name that is so drilled into your head from every listening script that even when you sleep you can't help but hear it. All my students laugh when they hear it because it sounds so wooden I think.
ミルズさん

Postby ミルズさん » Mon 10.25.2010 10:04 am

RE: Ipod App

I sent Mr Clay a email already; if you need any more information on the problems please email me back. All in all it's been a very useful app because I have been able to go back and study the basic words again but this time focus on learning the kanji.

Also, how many books have the word nampa in them? Not many. It's a great ice breaker.
ミルズさん

Postby phreadom » Mon 10.25.2010 10:11 am

ミルズさん wrote:Exactly Zero.

However, this is a tongue-in-cheek joke which I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain. You see, Mills is not my name, its the name of the main character in my study book. It's a generic western name that is so drilled into your head from every listening script that even when you sleep you can't help but hear it. All my students laugh when they hear it because it sounds so wooden I think.

Which study book? :D I know I remember some of the characters in my studies, like everyone's favorite ヤンさん from the "Let's Learn Japanese" NHK videos, or マイケルさん from my Japanese For Everyone textbook... or David Roberts from NHK Japanese... ロバーツさん etc.

ヤンさん is definitely my favorite. :D

vlcsnap-1441816.png
vlcsnap-1441816.png (133.31 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Mon 10.25.2010 10:20 pm

ミルズさん wrote:Exactly Zero.

Maybe if I'd been familiar with Mills-san I would have got the joke and you wouldn't have had to explain it. :blush:

I am familiar with ヤンさん from the NHK series mentioned by phreadom-san and the generic スミスさん and ブラウンさん used in the Japanese For Busy People series. Mills must be a much more common family name where that book was written than it is here. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby ミルズさん » Tue 10.26.2010 11:14 am

Mills is Smiths superior. He replaces Smith when you get to Japanese for Busy People II. My only motivation to continue studying Japanese is so I can see who replaces Mills come season 3.

That guy looks like such a tourist. That must be a great series.
ミルズさん

Postby phreadom » Tue 10.26.2010 11:40 am

ミルズさん wrote:Mills is Smiths superior. He replaces Smith when you get to Japanese for Busy People II. My only motivation to continue studying Japanese is so I can see who replaces Mills come season 3.

haha... that's the greatest reason for learning Japanese I've heard so far. :lol:

ミルズさん wrote:That guy looks like such a tourist. That must be a great series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let's_Learn_Japanese

Check out the Wikipedia page for it. You can get an idea what it's like from that. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Tue 10.26.2010 11:40 pm

ミルズさん wrote:Mills is Smiths superior. He replaces Smith when you get to Japanese for Busy People II. My only motivation to continue studying Japanese is so I can see who replaces Mills come season 3. .....

There is no Mills in my copies of Japanese For Busy People II or III. Smith and Brown carry through and there is also a Johnson. They must have changed the character names in later editions.
chikara

Return to Introductions