Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Answering questions with どんな

Answering questions with どんな

Do you have a translation question?

Answering questions with どんな

Postby Kessembi » Sat 10.30.2010 8:59 pm

I want to study a conversation about a person who doesn't have many preferences. For example:

Junichi: Teimoto-san, donna eiga ga suki desu ka?
(Teimoto, what kind of movies do you like?)

Teimoto: Watashi wa hora- eiga ga suki desu. Junichi-san wa?
(I like horror movies. How about you?)

But what would Teimoto-san say if he didn't like any kind of movie genre in particular?
Could he say "Watashi wa suki na eiga ga nai." ? I guess it could mean that he doesn't have a favorite movie, yes? But I would like to know how to say that he doesn't have a genre preference.

Would "Watashi wa suki na eiga no isshu ga nai." work?

Go-kyouryoku wo onegaishimasu.
*BA?*
RejKa-.SOLeIL->[RaNSHIM]
Kessembi

Re: Answering questions with どんな

Postby NileCat » Sat 10.30.2010 9:30 pm

How about this?

Tokuni suki na janru wa arimasen.
(特に好きなジャンルはありません)
Specific / liking / genre / I have not

If you find it too blunt, you could add something like this.
Watashi wa ironna janru no eiga wo mimasu.
(私はいろんなジャンルの映画を見ます)
I watch movies of various genres.

In this case, to the question どんな, the answer いろんな would work.
いろんな = いろいろな = 色々な =様々な =多種多様な
( <---casual, easy )   ( formal, difficult-----> )
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby Setaceau » Sun 10.31.2010 11:05 am

In a conversation, he can say "I have no favorite movies in particular."
「これといって好きな(ジャンルの)映画は無いんだ。」(無いよ also OK.
Koreto itte sukina (Junru no) eiga ha nainda (Naiyo)
But 無いよ could be casual image. 無いんだ is easy to connect ごめん gomen
= I'm sorry. Therefore 無いんだ is suitable in this situation.)
In addition, "But I like movies. "
でも映画は好きだよ。Demo eiga ha sukidayo.
You will find most of Japanese are this type. Why they like movies, but
don't have favorite one. Because, they only like to do relax watching movie.
They even can't remember the last movie who have watched, including me^^;

In a conversation, I also use 特にコレと言って...= 特にコレという程...
「う~ん、別に好きな映画って特に無いよ or 特には無いよ。」
= collaboration of 別に... 無い+好きな映画って(聞かれても...)+特には無いよ。

In a writing sentence, 特に好きな映画は無い と 彼は 申し訳 無さそうに 言った。 or
まじめな顔で 言った。or 照れながら 言った。 or as you like.
Setaceau

Postby Kessembi » Wed 11.03.2010 7:09 pm

Oh wow! Thanks again for you help. Here is more of the conversation I'm trying to form:

順一: 鄭元さん、どんな映画が好きですか。
Junichi: Teimoto-san, donna eiga ga suki desu ka?
(Teimoto, what kind of movies do you like?)

鄭元: ええと、これといって好きなジャンルの映画はないんだ。でも映画は好きだよ。
Teimoto: Eeto, kore to itte suki na Janru no eiga ha nai n da. Demo eiga wa suki da yo.
(Hmm... I don't really have a favorite kind of movie [in particular]. But I like movies!)

順一: そう、最近の映画を見たは何ですか。 (not sure... :sweatdrop: )
Junichi: Sou, saikin no eiga wo mita wa nandesu ka?
(Ah, so what's the last movie you saw?)

鄭元: 先週、バイオハザードを見た。
Teimoto: Senshuu, Baiohazaado wo mita.
(I saw Resident Evil last week.)

順一: すごい!その映画はどうだったか。
Junichi: Sugoi! Sono eiga wa dou datta ka?
(Cool! And how was it?)

鄭元: 怖かったよ!その映画を見ると近ごろ病気の大学生を思いだったね。その上ゾンビに怖がるよ。実際は、見たから僕は寝る前に電灯をつけっぱなしですね。
Teimoto: Kowakatta yo! Sono eiga wo miru to chikagoro byouki no daigakusei wo omoidatta ne. Sono ue Zonbi ni kowagaru yo. Jissai wa, mita kara boku wa neru mae ni dentou wo tsukeppanashi desu ne.
(It was scary! That movie reminded me of the college students who have been sick these days. Plus, I'm scared of zombies. As a matter of fact, ever since I saw it, I've be sleeping with the lights on.)

順一:  :doh: えっ? 鄭元さん、ゾンビは現実の生物じゃないのか知っているね?
Junichi: Eh~? Teimotosan, Zonbi wa genjitsu no seibutsu ja nai no ka shitteiru ne?
(Huh? You do realize zombies aren't real, right?)
*BA?*
RejKa-.SOLeIL->[RaNSHIM]
Kessembi

Postby NileCat » Wed 11.03.2010 7:54 pm

Could you tell me what the sick students mean?
Also, may I ask you if you used a machine translator?
I can’t recognize which language you are thinking in. I mean, for instance, if your original idea in your mind had been “zombies aren’t real” in English, what have made you come up with the phrase “ゾンビは現実の生き物じゃない” in Japanese?
NileCat

Postby Kessembi » Wed 11.03.2010 8:41 pm

NileCat wrote:Could you tell me what the sick students mean?

I used 病気の大学生 hoping it would describe students who are sick. Because of the flu going around on the college campus, many of the sick students walking around look like zombies - slow and with bleak faces.

NileCat wrote:Also, may I ask you if you used a machine translator?

Never. Just a dictionary for a few words. I do not trust nor do I advocate machine translators.

NileCat wrote:I can’t recognize which language you are thinking in. I mean, for instance, if your original idea in your mind had been “zombies aren’t real” in English, what have made you come up with the phrase “ゾンビは現実の生き物じゃない” in Japanese?

I still struggle with whether or not to translate actual words or translate the underlying though. My Japanese is filtered through Korean first, and the English is just the idea I want to convey. Not necessarily the closer-to-word translation.

現実の生物じゃない is the closest Japanese equivalent idea-for-idea I could think of to describe a creature that is not real using Korean language - without using a dictionary. In English, "real" as in "a non-fictional creature." I'm not even sure if it's an actual phrase let alone a conversational one :blush: Which is why I post it here!

So if you can please help with making it sound more casual as "Zombies aren't real." instead of "Zombies are not creatures of reality" (hahah), that would promote great progress for my studies!
*BA?*
RejKa-.SOLeIL->[RaNSHIM]
Kessembi

Postby NileCat » Wed 11.03.2010 11:31 pm

Kessembi wrote:My Japanese is filtered through Korean first, and the English is just the idea I want to convey.

Thank you for answering to my question. And that makes sense!

To begin with, are you familiar with two different styles in term of the level of politeness? One is usually called desu/masu style. And the other is assumed more casual language.
Both of them are fine to use. However, we usually don’t mix them up, because they are “style(s)”. In your sentences, the first thing I noticed was the confusion of the styles, which has made your conversation sounds a bit weird. In your first question in the topic, you used the perfect desu/masu style, but all of a sudden, you have started using very colloquial style.

Secondly, your Japanese is better than you might think. Meaning-wise, it seems you are fully capable to convey your intention. Which means, however, you can’t expect simple corrections like ones you see in the basic textbooks. There doesn’t exist “the one and only” correct expression. Therefore, if you’d like corrections that fit your original intention, the English explanation is important. (Sorry, I don't speak Korean!)

Here are some “corrections”. (I’ll make them “very casual style”)

順一: そう、最近の映画を見たは何ですか。 (not sure... )
Junichi: Sou, saikin no eiga wo mita wa nandesu ka?
(Ah, so what's the last movie you saw?)

そう、じゃあ最近見た映画は何?
鄭元: 先週、バイオハザードを見た。
Teimoto: Senshuu, Baiohazaado wo mita.
(I saw Resident Evil last week.)

先週、「バイオハザード」を見たよ。
順一: すごい!その映画はどうだったか。
Junichi: Sugoi! Sono eiga wa dou datta ka?
(Cool! And how was it?)

いいね! どうだった?
鄭元: 怖かったよ!その映画を見ると近ごろ病気の大学生を思いだったね。その上ゾンビに怖がるよ。実際は、見たから僕は寝る前に電灯をつけっぱなしですね。
Teimoto: Kowakatta yo! Sono eiga wo miru to chikagoro byouki no daigakusei wo omoidatta ne. Sono ue Zonbi ni kowagaru yo. Jissai wa, mita kara boku wa neru mae ni dentou wo tsukeppanashi desu ne.
(It was scary! That movie reminded me of the college students who have been sick these days. Plus, I'm scared of zombies. As a matter of fact, ever since I saw it, I've be sleeping with the lights on.)
I used 病気の大学生 hoping it would describe students who are sick. Because of the flu going around on the college campus, many of the sick students walking around look like zombies - slow and with bleak faces.

怖かったよ! 見てたら、最近大学によくいる病気の学生たち思い出しちゃった。それに、おれゾンビって怖いんだ。実際、あれ見てから、電気つけっぱなしで寝てるんだ。
順一:  えっ? 鄭元さん、ゾンビは現実の生物じゃないのか知っているね?
Junichi: Eh~? Teimotosan, Zonbi wa genjitsu no seibutsu ja nai no ka shitteiru ne?
(Huh? You do realize zombies aren't real, right?)
So if you can please help with making it sound more casual as "Zombies aren't real." instead of "Zombies are not creatures of reality" (hahah),

え? テイモト、ゾンビなんて本当はいないって知ってるよね?
NileCat

Postby Kessembi » Thu 11.04.2010 11:28 am

NileCat wrote:To begin with, are you familiar with two different styles in term of the level of politeness? One is usually called desu/masu style. And the other is assumed more casual language.
Both of them are fine to use.... In your first question in the topic, you used the perfect desu/masu style, but all of a sudden, you have started using very colloquial style.

I think so. By two different styles, are you refering to the difference in saying:

特に好きなジャンルはありません。でも映画は好きですよ。
And...
これといって好きな映画はないんだ。でも映画は好きよ。

Ya?

NileCat also wrote: However, we usually don’t mix them up, because they are “style(s)”. In your sentences, the first thing I noticed was the confusion of the styles, which has made your conversation sound a bit weird.

Hahah~ :blush: Korean also have levels of politeness - but some occasions, the levels mixed to convey tone. For example, if a friend wants to be sarcastic, serious or tongue-in-cheek, he may use a formal way of speaking one level higher than casual for that sentence with his close friend, as some close Korean friends will feel a bit uneasy (which is the goal of these tones sometimes).

But, I wasn't trying to do that in the Japanese though :sweatdrop: :think: :lol:
I just want to practice only one tone, you know?
*BA?*
RejKa-.SOLeIL->[RaNSHIM]
Kessembi

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion