Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Drinking Culture?

Drinking Culture?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Drinking Culture?

Postby whaaaatt » Mon 11.01.2010 5:01 pm

So I was wondering what the drinking (alcohol) culture is like in Japan. Like..
Are they heavy drinkers?
What is the legal drinking age? (if they have one, I'm not sure haha)
Is it common for teens or underage drinking to occur like in America?

I know that there are lots of bars and things like that in Japan where people go after work or they have a drink with a meal. I just find that in American culture there's this drinking and partying scene that's common in young adults and I wanted to know what it's like in Japan in comparison to America.

This is kind of a stupid question haha ^^" I imagine that there's a bit both types of drinking, I was just wondering what the generalization is I guess.

Thanks for reading! (:
whaaaatt

Native language: English

Re: Drinking Culture?

Postby burstandbloom » Wed 11.03.2010 10:23 am

The drinking age is 20 years old. I've noticed, if you're a Gaijin and look the age, you probably will not get carded. Mostly from what I found, there aren't many 'western style' bars in Japan. Not that they don't exist, I just think its more common to find the Japanese style bar, or 居酒屋 (Izakaya) which is different and a slightly different experience than if you've been to bars in the U.S. for example, but a good one. More western style bars come in the form of hostess bars, although I've found some small western style bars that were nice but EXPENSIVE. Also when we'd go out to drink, often we'd go to karaoke places where you can do 飲み放題 (nomihodai), which means 'all you can drink'. So for example you'd get a karaoke room and pay around 1000 Yen for each hour and get as much as you can drink within that hour. Also pretty popular among a lot of Japanese college students from what I've seen is going to clubs and drinking. But be prepared for staying up all night, clubbing starts around 10, trains stop running at 12, and well you're stuck all night. It can be a really fun experience though. Worst came to worse we would post up in a park and drink, which is legal in Japan. However as to the extent of how well it's received is another topic. Generally if its a small park (park is 公園 kouen by the way, there are lots in Japan) in a residential area you don't want a large group of people drinking and making noise, residents don't like that too much. However in larger parks at night where there aren't houses around it was never really a big deal.
This was a long post sorry (I could go on), but I had some experience so I thought I'd give you a general sense of my experience. Hope that helped.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Re: Drinking Culture?

Postby whaaaatt » Wed 11.03.2010 4:18 pm

Thanks for the information! It doesn't sound too much different then America haha I guess it's one of those things that most cultures have in common.
whaaaatt

Native language: English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan