Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Syllables in Japanese

Syllables in Japanese

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Syllables in Japanese

Postby Embereyes » Thu 11.04.2010 12:01 am

I've noticed that the stress on syllables isn't uniform at all in the words pronounced on the bottom on the hiragana pages. Are there any general rules to which syllables get the stress or do you just have to memorize where the stress goes?
Embereyes

Native language: English

Re: Syllables in Japanese

Postby phreadom » Thu 11.04.2010 12:51 am

I don't think there's really any pattern to it. You just have to memorize how each word is said. :?
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Dustin » Thu 11.04.2010 12:52 am

No good rules, you just get used to it by hearing words in context.

Best thing to do is just to try to copy the accents and stresses of native speakers, and eventually it should become natural, for the stuff you've practiced anyways.

It's a pretty minor thing to worry about for now though, just concentrate on getting fluid in conversation skills before worrying TOO much on the thick accent we'll all have ;)
Dustin

Postby chikara » Thu 11.04.2010 1:26 am

Embereyes wrote:I've noticed that the stress on syllables isn't uniform at all in the words pronounced on the bottom on the hiragana pages. Are there any general rules to which syllables get the stress or do you just have to memorize where the stress goes?

TJP e youkoso :)

Keep in mind that Japanese has a pitch accent which is different to the stress accent in English. As others have already posted, there are no rules to follow.

Words with the same spelling can have different pitch accents, for example "hashi" 橋 (bridge), "hashi" 箸 (chopsticks) and "hashi" 端 (edge) all have different pitch accents. I certainly haven't mastered pitch accent but I am yet to be given a bridge when asking for chopsticks in Japan. :)

Here's an answer to your question from japanese.about.com, How do I know which syllables to stress in Japanese words.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Embereyes » Fri 11.05.2010 5:02 pm

Arigatou for all the quick answers!
Embereyes

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems