Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Formation of Verbs

Formation of Verbs

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Formation of Verbs

Postby acboyz2 » Wed 11.10.2010 4:10 pm

Hey guys,

Ive been using this website for quite a while and I have loved it. I also have some iPhone apps and the rosetta stone to help me out. In the iPhone app and the Rosetta Stone, the first verbs you learn are eat and drink. I am a little confused. In the iphone app it says that eat is:tabemasu. In the rosetta stone it says its: tabete imasu. I was wondering if the app just combines the separated words for all the verbs, or if you use one in a specific situation.

Thanks,
Acboyz2
acboyz2

Native language: English

Re: Formation of Verbs

Postby ピーター » Wed 11.10.2010 5:29 pm

Hello, I hope I can be of help.

Tabemasu and tabete imasu are two completely different constructions, but both based off of the same verb - taberu.

Tabemasu is the long-form present tense conjugation of the verb, just the plain 'to eat'.

E.g. Watashi wa aisu-kuriimu wo tabemasu. - I eat ice cream.

Tabete is the te-form of the verb, combined here with the verb imasu. This construction generally means to be carrying out the action described by the verb, or in a state resulting from the verb. In the instance of 'eat', it means the former.

E.g. Watashi wa aisu-kuriimu wo tabete imasu. - I am eating ice cream.

Hope this clears up your confusion. :)
ピーター

Postby acboyz2 » Wed 11.10.2010 5:47 pm

Thank you so much! I get it now, one is the present and the other is the present progressive.

Thanks!
acboyz2

Postby chikara » Wed 11.10.2010 6:53 pm

acboyz2 wrote:..... or if you use one in a specific situation. ...

You may find Tim Matheson's Japanese Verbs useful in explaining the many conjugations and where they are used.

He describes the present progressive form, for example tabete imasu, in Lesson 58.

ピーター wrote:..... Tabemasu is the long-form present tense conjugation of the verb, just the plain 'to eat'. ......

To be more correct it is the non-past tense of the verb, that is it can be a present or future action. :)

I hadn't heard the ~masu (polite/formal) form referred to as the long-form before.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby ss » Thu 11.11.2010 11:26 pm

I hadn't heard the ~masu (polite/formal) form referred to as the long-form before.

主税さん、 
Learners of Japanese who use Genki series textbooks might remember the term "long form" and "short form"   :dance:
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems