Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Colloquial translation issues

Colloquial translation issues

Do you have a translation question?

Colloquial translation issues

Postby student_8 » Tue 11.16.2010 3:39 pm

The most difficult area of study, in my experience, is learning colloquial language. I find that this is covered extremely poorly in virtually every textbook I have ever come across. Once you start trying to read manga, you realize just how little you really know.

Now, I do not wish to be an "annoying" poster who asks a bunch of questions that have already been covered somewhere or other on the boards. However, there are a great deal of threads here and it would be difficult to trawl through every single one looking for a particular issue. What I want to ask is whether it would be acceptable to ask a question if I cannot find anything related to it using the Search facility. I have already tried entering a few expressions into the search, and most of them didn't seem to come up. Maybe I am doing somethiung wrong?

-Arch
student_8

Native language: English

Re: Colloquial translation issues

Postby Hyperworm » Tue 11.16.2010 4:57 pm

It can be hard to find information on slang, even with a search function at hand (which is working fine I think - I tried ちゃう).
Your questions may have been posted before, but there's nothing wrong with asking anew if you can't find answers. ^^;

(Ask in here? :))
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby furrykef » Wed 11.17.2010 7:57 pm

Dunno about general slang, but this list of abbreviations and contractions may be helpful.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby AJBryant » Thu 11.18.2010 1:35 pm

Ask away. It's what we're here for.

BTW, I am a translator. You're right -- it's not generally covered in most texts, which aim at conversation.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion