Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Has anyone heard of the "Japanese Stage-Step Course"?

Has anyone heard of the "Japanese Stage-Step Course"?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Has anyone heard of the "Japanese Stage-Step Course"?

Postby v10japan » Thu 11.25.2010 12:44 pm

I was browsing Amazon and found this textbook. It's relatively new (2009) and seems very promising. There aren't any reviews that I could find, and I was wondering if anyone here has heard anything about them?

The series comes in a Grammar textbook, two workbooks, writing practice, and a CD. (all of which aren't exactly priced well... :? )

Here's Amazon's description:
The Japanese Stage-Step Course is a fully integrated language course from beginner through to intermediate level combining cohesive grammar instruction with functional examples and practices to build a solid foundation in the four key skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. The course includes the core text, The Grammar Textbook, Workbooks 1 and 2, Writing Practice Book, audio material on CDs or in MP3 format, and a Companion Website.

An understanding of grammar is essential for students aiming to achieve a high level of proficiency in Japanese. Written by an experienced teacher, The Stage-Step Course: Grammar Textbook provides a step-by-step guide to Japanese grammar. With clear, accessible explanations and relevant examples to put each grammatical point into context, the Grammar provides a meaningful framework to develop the key skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening.

The book is divided into the following four stages:

Stage One: Building a foundation.
Stage Two: Towards more complex structures.
Stage Three: Adding sophistication.
Stage Four: Referencing.
Each lesson is accompanied by detailed vocabulary, conversation practice and reading exercises in the separate two workbooks to enable students to put into practice what they have learnt and consolidate their knowledge. The course also includes the Writing Practice Book, audio material on CDs or in MP3 format and a Companion Website.

Here's the link to the main textbook:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0415776058/ref ... _ti_hist_1

Please let me know what you guys think! I'm definitely not going to buy it unless I know if it's good or if I've looked through it.

Thanks! -Travis
v10japan

Native language: English

Re: Has anyone heard of the "Japanese Stage-Step Course"?

Postby Dustin » Thu 11.25.2010 4:03 pm

I have never heard of this textbook, nor could I find much as far as reviews go.

It took some digging but I found ONE PERSON who had used it. Said it was good for explaining nuances between grammar structures, but was slow, thick for what it covers and a bit overpriced.

Mind you this was only one review, and it could be much better, or worse than this.

It could be great, but with the money they want for the SET, and not really knowing for sure if it's any good, I'd sink my money into better known texts such as genki, Japanese for everyone or Minna no nihongo. Of course if you have unlimited cashflow and none of those worked for you, go right ahead, then again there is no magic bullet, just gotta get a reputable book and push on through :D

I never want to waste money on an unknown so I am on the pessimistic side of things, if you want to grab it, do so, I'd be interested in seeing how it goes, either way, let us know what you decide :D
Dustin

Postby v10japan » Thu 11.25.2010 5:09 pm

Hmm well that review seems accurate. I'm almost done with Genki 1 and decided to browse around before getting Genki 2. I'll probably just stick with Genki. Thanks for the reply! By the way, can you link me to the review you found?
v10japan

Postby Dustin » Thu 11.25.2010 6:13 pm

v10japan wrote:Hmm well that review seems accurate. I'm almost done with Genki 1 and decided to browse around before getting Genki 2. I'll probably just stick with Genki. Thanks for the reply! By the way, can you link me to the review you found?

http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=6452

I searched their forum directly since it has some good information on it after coming up empty anywhere else.
Dustin

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips