Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Translation for a tattoo

Translation for a tattoo

Do you have a translation question?

Translation for a tattoo

Postby whaaaatt » Fri 11.26.2010 12:18 pm

So For a while now I've been wanting a tattoo with Japanese script, I got all the design planned out and what it should say but, obviously, I don't want the script to say something I didn't mean it to or for it to sound wrong/bad. So if anyone can help me out and give what you think is the most appropriate translation that would be awesome! (:

I want it to say
"positive, tranquil, and beautiful"

google translator gave me this:
静かな正と美しい
Shizukana sei to utsukushii

But I don't trust google haha x)
So if anyone can help that would be awesome! thanks so much!
whaaaatt

Native language: English

Re: Translation for a tattoo

Postby furrykef » Fri 11.26.2010 3:18 pm

Why we don't do Japanese tattoos.

One point to consider that the page I linked to doesn't elaborate on is that, by making a Japanese tattoo, you're appropriating a culture to make something that the culture in question generally finds offensive. The Japanese public hates tattoos. In Japan, "tattoo" is equated with "bad person". You know how in America (and probably many other countries), the image of a "rebel" who doesn't quite abide by the rules is often revered? In Japan, not so much.

(I have no idea how to translate it, by the way, but that Google translation has at least two mistakes.)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion