Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hi trying to learn how to write Aikido

Hi trying to learn how to write Aikido

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Hi trying to learn how to write Aikido

Postby zzanthony » Wed 12.08.2010 5:29 pm

Hi does anyone know if my translation and writing is write?? Its supposed to mean The way of harmony, Right:=? and i can actually do it better by hand. Thanks
zzanthony

Native language: English

Re: Hi trying to learn how to write Aikido

Postby Dustin » Wed 12.08.2010 6:24 pm

I had to guess a bit and confirm but it looks like what you wanted to write was 合氣道

I could recognize the first and third characters but had a rough time with the 2nd. Turns out it's an old form of 気  written as and highly stylized because of being in calligraphy style. ( I don't have a whole lot of experience deciphering this style of handwriting )

Personally I'd recommend writing in a more standard font at first before trying to copy the highly stylized writing that you're showing here. Calligraphy looks best when you have all the proper stroke order and then simply keep the pen down for speed.

You should scan or take a picture of some writing on paper so that we can see if your penmanship is better then your mouse drawing skills :D

Hope that helped, and good luck!
Dustin

Postby chikara » Wed 12.08.2010 7:12 pm

zzanthony wrote:Hi does anyone know if my translation and writing is write?? Its supposed to mean The way of harmony, Right:=? and i can actually do it better by hand. Thanks

TJP e youkoso :)

Wikipedia article on Aikidou
..... Aikido is often translated as "the Way of unifying (with) life energy" or as "the Way of harmonious spirit." ......

...... from a purely linguistic point of view, we could say Aikido is 'Way of combining forces'. ....
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Dustin » Wed 12.08.2010 7:30 pm

Meant to quote that too and mention the translation bit, oops!

Thanks Chikara
Dustin

Postby zzanthony » Thu 12.09.2010 2:14 am

cool thank you. i like the much neater version u showed me. I dont want to be copying someone elses caligraphy style thanks.
zzanthony

Postby micahcowan » Thu 12.09.2010 7:55 pm

chikara wrote:Wikipedia article on Aikidou
..... Aikido is often translated as "the Way of unifying (with) life energy" or as "the Way of harmonious spirit." ......

...... from a purely linguistic point of view, we could say Aikido is 'Way of combining forces'. ....

Boy, I don't like any of those translations. (I know you didn't write this, chikara-san.)

I'll try one with, "Way of Matching Energies". "Way of Matching Kis" works too, but only if you happen to understand the Japanese concept of one's Ki, or Chinese Chi/Qi.

It sounds a little like the first one "unifying with life energy", but that one sounds like your spirit is joining all the other spirits, or the Spirit of Nature, or something. I mean, there's a bit of an aspect of that to Aikido, maybe, but it's a stretch IMO to connect it to the name; as far as I can see the name is a simple description of the fundamental technique of Aikidō (and also of some others, like Jūdō and Jūjitsu): you align your own energy and momentum (Ki*) to match (rather than oppose) your opponent/partner's.

* Disclaimer: yes, I know "one's ki" means more to some than simple energy, momentum, and center-of-gravity. The idea that your actual spirit or "essential energy" has anything to do with anything isn't one I hold with, but if it does for you, consider my explanation a slight oversimplification, or go with the "Way of Matching Kis" version.

As far as I know, "meet" or "match" are more usual connotations of 合 than "combine" or "unite", except in situations where those translations work as alternatives to "meet" and "match" as well. I realize they're possible meanings, probably, but just not the first ones I leap to think of when I think of 合.

To original poster: to be direct and to the point, I was able to recognize what you wrote pretty much immediately, but I wouldn't consider it very clear, or "correct". I agree with Dustin's recommendations not to try to jump write into using the calligraphic style.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)