Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - what is the difference between the 3 conditionnal structures

what is the difference between the 3 conditionnal structures

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

what is the difference between the 3 conditionnal structures

Postby wajdi » Tue 12.14.2010 9:46 am

i mean what is the difference between :
早く、駅に行けば、山田さんに会えます
早く、駅に行くと、山田さんに会えます
早く、駅に行ったら、山田さんに会えます

eba/reba is used for hypothetical situation. but are と and たら interchangeable?

also in my text book the was an exercise where i had to choose there appropriate one out of the 3 structures for making suggestions using . reading the answers didn't really help find the reason why they picked one structure an not the other.
so what is the difference?

行けば、いい
行ったら、いい
行くと、いい

by the way thi kinda silly but to make the difference between aemasu and aimasu noticeable when pronouncing em?
wajdi

Native language: arabic

Re: what is the difference between the 3 conditionnal struct

Postby NileCat » Tue 12.14.2010 11:41 am

You prefer straightforward answers, I guess.

早く、駅に行けば、山田さんに会えます
早く、駅に行くと、山田さんに会えます
早く、駅に行ったら、山田さんに会えます

eba/reba is used for hypothetical situation. but are と and たら interchangeable?

Yes, they are interchangeable.
And:
so what is the difference?

行けば、いい
行ったら、いい
行くと、いい

行けばいい is suggesting. But, just pointing out the possible result. (go → good) Sounds blunt.
行ったらいい is recommending. Colloquial.
行くといい is also recommending. Proper.

Also:
but to make the difference between aemasu and aimasu noticeable when pronouncing em?

Yes. Very obvious to us.

If you are not satisfied by the simple answers above, feel free to post further questions.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby Jack W » Sun 12.19.2010 3:27 pm

Sorry to butt in here, but I think by
by the way thi kinda silly but to make the difference between aemasu and aimasu noticeable when pronouncing em?

... wajdi might have meant, "HOW do you make the difference between aemasu and aimasu noticeable when pronouncing them?"

To keep the answers straightforward like NileCat suggests: By listening to native speakers, and imitating them. By being careful, and by speaking slowly if necessary.

I see that your native language is Arabic, which is a language I don't know much about. I did learn a little bit of modern Hebrew a very long time ago, and have forgotten practically all of it. But I do remember that Hebrew has vowel sounds very much like the Japanese "a," "e," and "i," so it might be possible that Arabic does also.

I am very much a beginner at Japanese, so I don't want to act like I think I know a lot, but I know at least that the difference in pronunciation is very important, and as NileCat says, very obvious to native speakers. For those of us learning Japanese as a second or third language, this point is difficult, since Japanese has only five vowel sounds, while almost all other languages (as far as I know) have at least twice as many.

I have done hardly any speaking of Japanese, a thing which I need to change, but if and when I do start practicing speaking Japanese, I plan to be extra careful distinguishing ae/ai, and ao/au (which are for me even more difficult). I would slow down if I saw a difficult vowel combination coming. I have nothing to prove. It's not as if they don't know I'm a foreigner anyway. :)

Hope this helps at least a little! 8)
Jack W

Native language: English

Postby NileCat » Mon 12.20.2010 3:35 am

Ah, thanks Jack W again! :)
I had totally misunderstood wajdi’s question. :blush:
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems