Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What do your parents/family think of your music tastes?

What do your parents/family think of your music tastes?

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Re: What do your parents/family think of your music tastes?

Postby leelee. » Sat 03.20.2010 1:21 am

I listen to visual kei a lot and my parents used to look at me like this ====> o____O but they got over the whole 'androgynous rock music' stuff fairly quickly; they aren't really concerned about what I listen to.

But then again, my music tastes tend to change from one genre to another.
leelee.

Native language: English/Vietnamese

Postby ShiroiAirisu » Thu 06.10.2010 3:09 pm

Most of them just think I'm weird, lol. :| But, then again I grew out of listening to what's on the mainstream radio, since the vast majority of it is just awful! I wish that they would understand just because you listen to something, and you can't understand it doesn't mean that you can't like it, or appreciate it! And that it doesn't make you weird, either. :) Speaking of which, I need more Japanese music in my library! :p
ShiroiAirisu

Native language: English (英語)

Postby chikara » Thu 06.10.2010 11:29 pm

ShiroiAirisu wrote:..... I wish that they would understand just because you listen to something, and you can't understand it doesn't mean that you can't like it, or appreciate it! And that it doesn't make you weird, either. :) ......

Who thinks you have to be able to understand music to like it? :?

Surely music and songs (music and lyrics) is just as much about how it sounds as what, if anything, it means. I wonder if the people that think it is weird for you to enjoy listening to music with Japanese lyrics also think it weird that opera houses all over the English speaking world are full of people with no understanding of Italian or German listening to operas by the likes of Vivaldi, Belllini, Mozart and Wagner? :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby 血まみれ剣術師 » Fri 06.18.2010 3:25 pm

I'm a grown man, so my parents don't really care about what music I listen to. lol My father is not too fond of Hard Rock or Metal. I respect them by not listening to it when they are around. :|
血まみれ剣術師

Native language: English

Postby taiyouka » Wed 06.23.2010 9:40 am

My family doesn't like my music tastes. However, some music my mum likes. E.G. rock classic "Queen" or "Beatles".
By the way, many people (uncles, cousins, aunts etc) from my family can't understand me and how I can listen Japanese or Korean music. :D
taiyouka

Native language: Lithuanian

Postby The Lady Ashuko » Mon 07.12.2010 8:02 pm

My mom loves my music and my dad tolerates it (he doesn't dislike it per se, but he has a preference for classic rock. He likes when I listen to Alice Cooper in the car :twisted: ) Right now I have a penchant for female vocalists in both American and Japanese music. With J-music in particular, I started out with Visual Kei and recently started to prefer classic J-pop and enka. Esp. from the 1960s :D I haven't been able to make cds since I switched to a netbook though so all the music I listen to with my mom I've had since before I made the switch. But I think she'd like it. She loves listening to foreign language music with me. One of her favorites is C-pop singer, A-mei.
吾輩は猫である。名前はまだ無い。
The Lady Ashuko

Native language: English

Postby emavatson » Tue 12.21.2010 6:04 am

For my , parents , their culture and everything seems to be different , But they never make a fun of them alike others and try to realize the root cause such series always .
emavatson

Native language: NA

Previous

Return to Japanese Movies and Music