Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - [Question] JLPT 5 by myself

[Question] JLPT 5 by myself

The test - experiences, questions or comments

[Question] JLPT 5 by myself

Postby Kaminariee » Sat 09.18.2010 9:34 pm

Hi everyone.
I have a couple of questions about JLPT 5. I'm a beginner in japanese laguange (I know hiragana, katakana, basic grammar and vocabulary as well). I want to take the exam next year and I started to study with Genki I books and cds. I found many resources online to know what kanji/grammar/etc I have to study for the exam (like this http://www.tanos.co.uk/jlpt/jlpt5/) but, is this enough? I mean, I study with Genki myself and I assist to a class once a week (the class is SO slow and boring and I feel that it's not helping me because I study things that I already know). So, I don't know if I should buy another books to help me to improve (like Unicom JLPT N5 Reading Practice or similar). What should you do in my situation?, there is some book worth to buy that could help me for the exam? besides Genki.
Any advice is welcome.
Kaminariee

Native language: Spanish

Re: [Question] JLPT 5 by myself

Postby katafei » Sun 09.19.2010 6:27 am

As JLPT is a totally new format this year, it might be a good a idea to purchase a mock test if you can afford it.
If classes go too slow for you taste, my guess is N5 is doable for you.
(don't you just hate it when it all goes so slow?? but at least, you'll get a good grasp of the material!)

Also: check you PM box..... 8)

good luck!
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby shinra » Tue 09.21.2010 8:31 pm

You will also need to up your kanji training. The JF worldwide website has a good sample test showing you the format and also a glimpse of the difficulty. URL is below:

www.jlpt.jp/e/
shinra

Native language: English

Postby Philip Seyfi » Tue 12.28.2010 3:30 pm

JLPT N5 in one year is more than doable. If you'll study regularly you are bound to succeed. Actually, I think it's better to go directly to JLPT N4. You may fail, but at least it'll be a real challenge and motivation for you, unlike N5 which in my opinion is rather simple.
Philip Seyfi

Native language: Russian

Postby lafemme » Tue 09.20.2011 2:31 pm

Hi) may I ask something, about N5.

Does anyone know any other sources to test yourself ? Like kind of Grammar tests, I know Verbs Quiz, and I have a Vocabulary Quiz on my phone....
And also have found a good Particle tests, but no grammar, like put the verb into te form and etc!

Thanx in advance =)))
lafemme

Native language: 露語

Postby baskerville » Wed 04.10.2013 6:52 am

Philip Seyfi wrote:JLPT N5 in one year is more than doable. If you'll study regularly you are bound to succeed. Actually, I think it's better to go directly to JLPT N4. You may fail, but at least it'll be a real challenge and motivation for you, unlike N5 which in my opinion is rather simple.

Hi! I am new here.
I agree with Philip that you can skip N5 altogether and take a stab at N4. I hope you did well :)
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...
baskerville

Native language: English

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test