Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Yakuza Moon, any good?

Yakuza Moon, any good?

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

Yakuza Moon, any good?

Postby Kenitai » Sat 11.15.2008 2:22 pm

There's a book called Yakuza Moon, written bij Shoko Tendo's reallife experiences being a daughter of a yakuza. I wondered
if anyone has read the book, if so is it really good?

I'd like to buy it, since I want to know how life is actually like for a female in a yakuza family.

EDIT:Normally I'm not much of a bookreader, so I really need a outstanding book to keep me reading. Hence the thread :)

The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Re: Yakuza Moon, any good?

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 11.15.2008 9:54 pm

I actually read this recently. It was pretty good. It has less emphasis on the Yakuza and more emphasis on her own journey from juvenile delinquent to mob wife to upstanding citizen, but it's good for a light read.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby MMM » Mon 11.24.2008 4:33 am

I did like this book, but it is less about Yakuza than you might think. I wrote a review of it here:

http://mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/search?q=yakuza+moon

(I quote myself not in an attempt to seem self-important, but because I would rather not rewrite it.)

Yakuza Moon is a difficult book to read in many places. The straightforward nature of the retellings of beatings by jealous boyfriends and betrayals by drug-addict friends remind the reader that not only was this Tendo's actual life, but this felt normal to her. This alone made her attempt at going straight that much more tragically heroic.

At its core, Yakuza Moon is a tale about family. We so often hear of the "family" that a gangster calls his gang, but not of the true blood family that is too often permanently scarred in sacrifice. Tendo not only tries to pull herself out of the pit that was dug by that Japanese mafia, but her parents and siblings as well. I won't reveal what success she finds, but will say that Yakuza Moon is a sad, but moving tale, and unveils the very real flipside of the yakuza: the real blood family.
めちゃめちゃメディア
Mecha Mecha Media

http://www.mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/
MMM

Native language: English

Postby Kenitai » Mon 11.24.2008 8:56 pm

I think I'll definitely buy the book, although I was of course unsure at the beginning.
The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Postby taiyouka » Wed 01.05.2011 12:21 pm

I read that book and I like it. Actually, I like all stories about hard life like her - Shoko Tendo.
taiyouka

Native language: Lithuanian

Return to History and Literature Discussions