Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Konichiwa!!!

Konichiwa!!!

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Konichiwa!!!

Postby ジェームス » Wed 01.12.2011 1:02 pm

Greetings to all!

How delightful to find this forum! A wee bit about myself:
I'm 44 and live in Vancouver,Washington (the AMERICAN Vancouver,not the much younger city in Canada)and am a shakuhachi player as well as newer student to Japanese.My main passions are flutes(rim blown ancient flutes such as the shakuhachi,Anasazi,Hopi,etc) classical music(Mahler especially)fountain pens,tattoos and literature(poetry most of all! ).My grandfather lived most of his life in Sasebo,Japan and passed on his love of the culture to me in many ways.

I started Japanese language courses (at home and online) last month and am about 3/4 of the way through the Hiragana and 1/4 way through the Katakana with 20 Kanji now under my belt. A very long way to go but I don't mind and am having fun. Hope to make it to Japan some time in the next few years.

Am taking formal shakuhachi lessons in Portland ,Oregon with a master player/teacher,sensei Tyrrell, a student of Kohachiro Miyata. I have splendid lineage there!

Hope to learn many new things here and will post often.

さようなら !

Jim
ジェームス

Native language: English

Re: Konichiwa!!!

Postby phreadom » Wed 01.12.2011 2:03 pm

TJPへようこそジェームスさん! (Welcome to TJP Jim!)

I have a good friend who lives in Sasebo currently... he's a retired music teacher from a school near where I grew up. He now is a band instructor on the military base in Sasebo. :) I'm sure he shares your passion for music, and for Japan/Japanese culture etc.

I hope we can provide a nice community to help you learn Japanese with. :)

よろしくおねがいします! :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby chikara » Wed 01.12.2011 7:42 pm

ジェームスさんTJPへようこそ。 :)

I don't play the shakuhachi but enjoy listening to it. I have some of Riley Lee's CD's and Brian Franklin's Breathe In Peace which I bought from thejapanshop.com.

ジェームス wrote:Konichiwa!!!

There is a double "n" in konnichiwa (こんにちは) :)

がんばって
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby ジェームス » Thu 01.13.2011 1:30 am

chikara wrote:ジェームスさんTJPへようこそ。 :)

I don't play the shakuhachi but enjoy listening to it. I have some of Riley Lee's CD's and Brian Franklin's Breathe In Peace which I bought from thejapanshop.com.

ジェームス wrote:Konichiwa!!!

There is a double "n" in konnichiwa (こんにちは) :)

がんばって

Riley is a pal of mine on Facebook. he plays well doesn't he.I hope to only play that well someday!!

Yes, you are right about the extra N but as it is transliterated into English and one N is silent I figured it didn't matter too much.The point was made LOL

ジェームス
ジェームス

Postby chikara » Thu 01.13.2011 2:10 am

ジェームス wrote:.... you are right about the extra N but as it is transliterated into English and one N is silent I figured it didn't matter too much. ......

One of the n's in konnichiwa is silent? :think:

It is a good idea as a beginner to get into the habit of transliterating into rōmaji without dropping letters (wāpuro rōmaji/kana spelling) so that when you use the IME to enter Japanese text you get the correct result. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby ジェームス » Thu 01.13.2011 11:41 am

You are right.Hence the beginner part :D

I learned the IME sequence only recently using Vista's Japanese entry program and you are so right about the way they need to be typed.

Thanks for the info.

Jim

ジェームス
ジェームス

Return to Introductions