Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Read this BEFORE asking for a translation!

Read this BEFORE asking for a translation!

Do you have a translation question?

Read this BEFORE asking for a translation!

Postby keatonatron » Sun 09.10.2006 9:33 am

The way we do things here is this:
If you are trying to translate something and are having problems, we will be happy to help you--IF you are making an honest effort to translate it yourself. Before posting a chunk of text and saying "Translate this please k thnx bye", try to translate as much as you can by yourself to show us that you are actually trying. Posting your guesses about the meaning of what you can't translate is also a nice gesture.

Simply ending your post with something similar to "I would translate it myself, but I don't have enough time/knowledge" does not look very good and will not motivate people to help you. If you don't have time to attempt a translation, neither do we.

This forum is a translation assitance forum, not a translation service. Make an effort first, and everyone will learn more as a result!

Happy translating!
keatonatron

Native language: English

RE: Read this BEFORE asking for a translation!

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 09.10.2006 9:54 am

The quickest and most sure-fire way to get assistance is to include along with your request "Here's what I have so far....." or "I think it says......" or some such thing, along with what you've done on it.

It doesn't matter if what you have is right or wrong; showing you're making at least as much effort as you're asking others to make on your behalf is the key to getting cooperation.

I like helping people. I despise doing tasks for others when they don't pitch in themselves.
Mike Cash

Postby TheFreakArtist » Wed 06.13.2007 6:01 pm

What if you just started learning? What the heck dyou do then?
TheFreakArtist

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 06.13.2007 6:26 pm

Learn more Japanese. As keat says, this is not a translation service. The purpose of the forum is to *help* people translate things (to or from Japanese). If you're not far along enough in the language to assist with your own translation request, then sorry.

EDIT: I want to clarify this because it seems like people are often confused.

This forum is *not* intended for people who don't know Japanese to have other people translate things for them. The purpose of this forum is to assist people who are learning Japanese, and to help them with questions related to translation. (In practice, this forum is used for general understanding questions, not just translation).

In other words, if your problem is that you can't read Japanese and you want to know what something in Japanese says, this is not the place to ask.

Finally, don't submit machine translation. That just insults our intelligence.

(It is possible that if your request is very short, or it's clear that you're making a one-time request for something special like a WW2 memorabilia, we may help you anyway. But possibly not.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Re: Read this BEFORE asking for a translation!

Postby HippoHugger » Fri 01.14.2011 9:28 pm

I'm totally new here and i just have a question.
Would you guy's be ok with correcting errors?
For example if i tried to write something in Japanese and i was hoping someone could look what i wrote over and tell me what i may have done wrong would that be alright?
HippoHugger

Postby Dustin » Fri 01.14.2011 9:45 pm

HippoHugger wrote:I'm totally new here and i just have a question.
Would you guy's be ok with correcting errors?
For example if i tried to write something in Japanese and i was hoping someone could look what i wrote over and tell me what i may have done wrong would that be alright?

Usually it depends on the length and how inaccurate it is.

Generally speaking if you've put a good foot forward, then people will be ok with making a few corrections. If it needs MANY corrections then we might not sit there sifting through it all fixing all the minor problems.

Welcome to TJP btw, feel free to make a post in out introductions forum :)
Dustin

Postby HippoHugger » Fri 01.14.2011 10:51 pm

Usually it depends on the length and how inaccurate it is.

Generally speaking if you've put a good foot forward, then people will be ok with making a few corrections. If it needs MANY corrections then we might not sit there sifting through it all fixing all the minor problems.

Welcome to TJP btw, feel free to make a post in out introductions forum

ありがと!
:D
i did post something on the introduction forum but it didn't show up.
maybe it didn't work for some reason ah well i shall try again if it doesn't show up!
HippoHugger

Postby furrykef » Sat 01.15.2011 1:29 pm

If you want to write in Japanese hoping for corrections, I think lang-8.com would be the best place to do that. You keep a blog there in any language, and people will correct your mistakes and offer suggestions.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby HippoHugger » Sat 01.15.2011 3:01 pm

furrykef wrote:If you want to write in Japanese hoping for corrections, I think lang-8.com would be the best place to do that. You keep a blog there in any language, and people will correct your mistakes and offer suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestion! I wasn't really planning on asking for corrections on anything more than a few sentences though. I'm just starting out so writing a blog in japanese would be a little beyond me.
XD
I shall have to check that site out though!
HippoHugger

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion