Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learning Kana by watching background

Learning Kana by watching background

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Learning Kana by watching background

Postby NumesSanguis » Fri 12.31.2010 8:48 am

Hello Forum readers,

As I also wanted to learn the kana(Hiragana+Katakana) I came with the idea of creating desktop backgrounds with all the kana.
I spent a lot of time on it and it would be a waste if I didn't share it, so if you want to learn kana by watching your background:

How it looks like: http://www.numessanguis.deviantart.com/#/d34cuf2

and the download: http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torre ... tid=178299
(It isn't illegal since I'm the creator and I wish to share it, not all torrents are illegal :p)

Update: ImageShack (album) link: http://img716.imageshack.us/g/hiragana0104.png/

Update 2: DDL (Direct Download Link) megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3X4DLX40

I hope it will help you,
NumesSanguis
Last edited by NumesSanguis on Thu 04.28.2011 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
The most important thing in life is to find your meaning of living.
NumesSanguis

Native language: NA

Re: Learning Kana by watching background

Postby TJack » Sat 01.01.2011 6:12 pm

Those look really nice NumesSanguis! I know this is going to be a stupid question, but are those individual screens strung together, or is that the background itself?

It might be better to upload the file in a Rar on RapidShare or 4Shared or some file sharing site, not because torrents are illegal, but because most people might not have a torrent client and wouldn't know how they worked.
TJack

Native language: 英語

Postby NumesSanguis » Sat 01.01.2011 6:34 pm

TJack wrote:Those look really nice NumesSanguis! I know this is going to be a stupid question, but are those individual screens strung together, or is that the background itself?

It might be better to upload the file in a Rar on RapidShare or 4Shared or some file sharing site, not because torrents are illegal, but because most people might not have a torrent client and wouldn't know how they worked.

This is only a preview, in the torrent file the images are separated and bigger.

If you follow the link to the torrent, you see in the comments a way to download it without torrents,
but I prefer that the people use the torrent, so it will stay alive longer.
You can find a torrent on more ways and otherwise they need to see this post on this forum and that chance is smaller.

If the demand is big for a direct download, I will rethink uploading it to megaupload ;)
NumesSanguis

Postby AJBryant » Sun 01.02.2011 1:00 pm

I think you'd do a lot better by putting them up at a free-hosting picture site and just leaving them there. Not everyone does the torrent or rapidshare thing, and the standard way of grabbing wallpapers is directly downloading a single graphic file stored somewhere.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Makal » Thu 01.13.2011 4:46 pm

Best idea ever!
Makal

Postby NumesSanguis » Sun 01.16.2011 1:47 pm

Makal wrote:Best idea ever!

Thanks, I'm happy that I could help you :wink:
Because of these kind of comments I get the feeling that I didn't waste my time :)
NumesSanguis

Postby NumesSanguis » Fri 04.01.2011 4:25 am

Added ImageShack link to the main post.
NumesSanguis

Postby NumesSanguis » Thu 04.28.2011 10:30 am

Added DDL to the main post (see update 2)
NumesSanguis

Postby Adriano » Thu 04.28.2011 10:52 am

If I have seen this topic before, it would probably have helped me learning Bopomofo.. :doh:

haha, learning this reminds me the old days, keeping a syllabic chart around everywhere I go.
I just don't understand why mainland China abolished these smart syllabics and rather use pinyin - our latin alphabet instead as their furigana...
Anyway, there's a lot of cool chinese language books from Taiwan, and I could never live getting stuck all the time on every page by mere 37 characters.. how many "new" kanjis we learn a week? A hundred?
Adriano

Skype chat: adrianojapan2008
Native language: Portuguese

Postby TheEnglishKnitter » Thu 04.28.2011 2:33 pm

Thank you, I have emailed my husband the 'download' link and he promises to figure it all out. I'm afraid I haven't a clue about torrent, DDL or whatever the other thing was - it's all japanese to me!!!
I thought the pictures looked nice though, so I'm going to see if my husband can help me reset my desktop and replace George (last of his kind) tortoise for a short while.
Thank you
TEKnitter
TEK
TheEnglishKnitter

Postby NumesSanguis » Sun 05.01.2011 6:41 am

TheEnglishKnitter wrote:Thank you, I have emailed my husband the 'download' link and he promises to figure it all out. I'm afraid I haven't a clue about torrent, DDL or whatever the other thing was - it's all japanese to me!!!
I thought the pictures looked nice though, so I'm going to see if my husband can help me reset my desktop and replace George (last of his kind) tortoise for a short while.
Thank you
TEKnitter

It's nice that you like the backgrounds :)
I can help you with setting the background to those backgrounds.

1. You first click on the link by DDL. Than you will go to the site of megaupload.
2. On this site you will see a counter that goes from 45 sec to 0, than a button will appear with "Normal Download".
3. You click this button and you will be asked if you want to save the file to your pc, click yes and save it somewhere on you're pc where you can find it back :P
4. You have now downloaded a .zip file, that is a container containing the images you saw in the picture.
You can open this with a program like winzip, winrar, 7zip (7zip is free and you can find it by google "7zip".
5. If you opened the container you see there the images and a readme.txt which will explain how to set you're background.

I hope this will help you and otherwise you can ask me or your husband ;)
NumesSanguis
NumesSanguis

Postby TheEnglishKnitter » Sun 05.01.2011 11:47 am

Thanks, my husband set it all up for me.
I think it is an excellent idea. I really like the words surrounding the kana, they help with remembering in context.
Thank you for your hard work.
TEK
TEK
TheEnglishKnitter

Postby NumesSanguis » Tue 05.10.2011 2:04 pm

TheEnglishKnitter wrote:Thanks, my husband set it all up for me.
I think it is an excellent idea. I really like the words surrounding the kana, they help with remembering in context.
Thank you for your hard work.
TEK

Thank you for your nice comment :) It took a awful lot of time to put everything on the background and it wasn't the most amusing thing to do...
But if it helps people I'm glad I did it ;)
NumesSanguis

Postby mmdefense513 » Wed 05.11.2011 11:55 pm

Thank you so much!
mmdefense513

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips