Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - PhD in English Language and Literature at a Tokyo University

PhD in English Language and Literature at a Tokyo University

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

PhD in English Language and Literature at a Tokyo University

Postby AmayaSakurai » Sun 11.21.2010 11:34 am

Hello everyone,

I am preparing to take a special Japanese language test in July 2011. If I pass that test (something like JLPT) I will automatically receive a full scholarship from the Japanese government to study in Japan. The scholarship will include:

- full scholarship for any number of years at a university in Japan (either for a Master's degree or a PhD)

- accomodation (I'm guessing on the University's campus)

- food

- monthly allowance

So, basically, this test has been created by the Japanese government and it is held every year in the Japanese embassy in the capital city, so it's not a scam.

All I have to do (except pass the test of course) is decide which university I want to apply to. But this is becoming much harder than it sounds. I've just finished my Master's degree in English Language and Literature. All together, I now have 17 years of education behind me and what I would like to do is go to Japan for my PhD. I would also like for that University to be in Tokyo (and the Japanese government would also like it to be in Tokyo since then they can keep an eye on us and see if we are worth the money that we will be given XD)

I really am very hard-working and am taking this opportunity very seriously. I've only been learning Japanese for 16 months, but I am at JLPT level 2.

What I need help on, is someone recomending Universities in Tokyo that offer a PhD in an area of English Language and Literature. Of course, I will continue to look on my own as well, it's just that any help would be much appreciated. Things like universities you may know, websites, etc.

Any and all help is much appreciated!
AmayaSakurai

Native language: NA

Re: PhD in English Language and Literature at a Tokyo Univer

Postby CajunCoder » Sun 12.05.2010 7:42 pm

JLPT Level 2 in 16 months??

Are you sure you're not over estimating your abilities? How much exposure have you had to the language

Anyway, I don't mean to discourage you or anything. Being ambitious is a good thing, and it sounds like an excellent opportunity. I'm afraid I cannot help to answer your question, but I wish you good luck on your endeavor!

If you need any help studying for the test, however, I could give advice there.
CajunCoder

Postby spin13 » Sun 12.12.2010 10:25 pm

AmayaSakurai wrote:If I pass that test (something like JLPT) I will automatically receive a full scholarship from the Japanese government to study in Japan.

It sounds like you're talking about the Monbusho (MEXT) scholarship. I thought there was a lot more to it than just taking a language test but if you can get it, take it. I've heard it's a real cushy ride.

AmayaSakurai wrote:What I need help on, is someone recomending Universities in Tokyo that offer a PhD in an area of English Language and Literature.

Start by looking at Todai, Keio, Waseda, or Meiji, although if you want to work outside of Japan and still want the name recognition, Todai seems to be the only school (in Tokyo) that really shows up high on the international radar.

CajunCoder wrote:JLPT Level 2 in 16 months?? Are you sure you're not over estimating your abilities?

16 months seems like a perfectly reasonable amount of time.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby burstandbloom » Tue 01.25.2011 2:44 am

CajunCoder wrote:JLPT Level 2 in 16 months?? Are you sure you're not over estimating your abilities?

Spin13 wrote:16 months seems like a perfectly reasonable amount of time.

That seems almost incredibly implausible to pass level 2 and have only been studying for 16 months. I mean I don't mean to question your ability, honestly best of luck. I'd really like to know your process of obtaining that kind of information, and competently in that period of time. I really need to find the secret to that!
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby hyperconjugated » Tue 01.25.2011 10:56 am

spin13 wrote:It sounds like you're talking about the Monbusho (MEXT) scholarship. I thought there was a lot more to it than just taking a language test but if you can get it, take it. I've heard it's a real cushy ride.

IIRC mext requires thorough and reasonable research plan from PhD students (and also from research students who don't actually plan to complete all of the degree in Japan). Unofficially you also should already have an academic contact in Japan who can give your research plan thumbs up (and thus realistic change of receiving the scholarship) because you're not supposed to contact the professors and begin "networking" during the application process. Thats what I've read from few JASSO tips & discussions.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby ryuubu » Thu 02.17.2011 10:21 pm

Getting to JLPT2 in 16 months is an amazing achievement.

If you get the scholarship, be sure to get as much exposure as you can to the spoken language, though!
ryuubu

Postby Shiroisan » Sat 03.26.2011 12:34 am

You can't really say you're at JLPT 2 unless you've actually taken the test and scored well. The previews/ lists are easier than the real thorough test.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby hyperconjugated » Sat 03.26.2011 3:43 am

Original poster hasn't logged in TJP even once this year, so you probably shouldn't bother to write in this thread until he returns and writes back to the replies he got. I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby furrykef » Mon 04.04.2011 5:40 am

Shiroisan wrote:You can't really say you're at JLPT 2 unless you've actually taken the test and scored well. The previews/ lists are easier than the real thorough test.

If that's true then it's not a very good representation of the test. Statistically speaking, a small number of questions is all that's necessary to roughly gauge your level. (It will, of course, be much less precise than a longer test, which is why the longer test is still necessary. But if you're more likely to score better on the shorter test, rather than there just being more variance in the results, then something's wrong.)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan