Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tipika

Tipika

Do you have a translation question?

Tipika

Postby janshi » Wed 01.26.2011 10:04 am

I'm having trouble understanding this word. It's in the context of a brochure about Jamaican coffee. the sentence i'm on says ハイマウンテンの豆 ほとんどが種の原種tipika. The only reference I could get was off an advert for colombian coffee but i still feel pretty lost.
janshi

Native language: English

Re: Tipika

Postby kt_anthrax » Wed 01.26.2011 12:21 pm

はじめまして
よろしく
Tipika is officially represented as C. arabica 'Typica'
One variety of coffee tree. I guess

> to chikara san
thnaks for uploading more precise informations about "Typica"
Last edited by kt_anthrax on Thu 01.27.2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
kt_anthrax

Native language: japanese

Re: Tipika

Postby chikara » Wed 01.26.2011 7:14 pm

TJPへようこそ  :)

janshi wrote:... the sentence i'm on says ハイマウンテンの豆 ほとんどが種の原種tipika. ....

Strange that it is writen in roman characters as "tipika" in that sentence when "high mountain" is written in katakana. If it is written in roman characters I would expect it to be written correctly and not as a romanisation of the katakana.

kt_anthrax-san is correct,"typica" ( ティピカ) is a variety of arabica coffee plant, C. arabica 'Typica'.

List of coffee varieties

The variety we call Typica is basically the same variety of coffee the Dutch gave to King Louis the <check> back in the 17th century <check>. Although, since then it has mutated slightly to reflect its surroundings i.e. Mexican Typica is genetically slightly different to Kona (Hawaiian Typica), and they take different names to reflect this: Criollo (South America), Arabigo (Americas), Kona (Hawaii), Pluma Hidalgo (Mexico), Garundang (Sumatra), San Bernado & San Ramon (Brazil), Kents & Chickumalgu (India)

コーヒーノキ

ティピカ (C. arabica 'Typica')
中南米に移入されたアラビカ種を起源とするもの。豆はやや細長い。香りが強く上品な酸味と甘味を持つと言われる。ただ、収量は低く隔年変化するため安定せず、病虫害にも弱い。コロンビアの主力品種であり近年はカトゥーラなどの収量の多い品種に圧されて作付が減少してきていたが、最近になり主に高級品向けとして栽培が増えてきている。
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion