Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Question: Could I inflate a japanese bank account before-

Question: Could I inflate a japanese bank account before-

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Question: Could I inflate a japanese bank account before-

Postby JapanCrazy » Sun 12.12.2010 7:27 pm

-I move there? I just want to know, because it would be lovely if I could open a japanese bank account while I'm still abroad- make money and gradually put more and more money in that account until I can finally move there.

Is that possible?

It'd definately sweet to arrive in Japan to be pretty well-off.
My bloodline isn't important. What is, is the history of my soul.
JapanCrazy

Native language: English

Re: Question: Could I inflate a japanese bank account before

Postby chikara » Sun 12.12.2010 7:33 pm

My understanding is that you have to have proof of a "permanent", ie not a hotel, address in Japan and possibly an Aliens Registration Card in order to open a Japanese bank account.

I can't really see the point in doing this if you are not earning the money you want to deposit in Japan. You will have to do foreign transfers in order to deposit money in this account which can incur considerable fees. Wouldn't it be better to simply save your money in the country in which you are earning it?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby JapanCrazy » Mon 12.13.2010 2:47 am

Good point. Thank you for your opinion.
My bloodline isn't important. What is, is the history of my soul.
JapanCrazy

Native language: English

Postby burstandbloom » Tue 01.25.2011 2:26 am

When I was in Japan they had a seminar for all the students staying for a long period of time for opening up a bank with Sumitomo Mitsui Banking. Maybe it was just overkill because they wanted to emphasize that opening a bank account in Japan may differ substantially from perhaps your home country but the process was extremely arduous. As far as the physical application you fill out anyway. We had to make it so perfectly legible, and I remember students constantly having to start a new application because a stroke extended too long or something along those lines. Not to scare you or anything, haha. I've also heard this (not real sure on the credibility of the source), that as long as you have some sort of money in your bank account it will remain open, active, whatever the term, even if you leave the country for a long time and return sometime later; it would still be there.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby tōkai devotee » Sat 01.29.2011 1:21 am

burstandbloom wrote: I've also heard this (not real sure on the credibility of the source), that as long as you have some sort of money in your bank account it will remain open, active, whatever the term, even if you leave the country for a long time and return sometime later; it would still be there.

So, when I return to Japan, I may have some extra spending money??? It's been 13 years, but when I left Japan I had about 2000 Yen in my account. It may have been eaten up by interest, but it'd be amazing if it was still there!!
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan