Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese food to take on a picnic

Japanese food to take on a picnic

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Japanese food to take on a picnic

Postby tōkai devotee » Sat 01.29.2011 1:27 am

What would be the best Japanese food for a picnic? I know a lot of Japanese has to be eaten almost as soon as it's cooked, or it has to be refrigerated eg sushi. So I'm wondering what to take for a picnic. Would onigiri be good? I don't even know if I can buy umeboshi or other ingredients here in Adelaide. Others who live here may know. Chikara-san?? :wink:

My friends often have a theme for our get-togethers and coming up soon, we're having an international theme, so with my interest in Japan, I want to take something Japanese. I may even dust off the Yukata and get my kids to dress up too. Why not?! :D
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Re: Japanese food to take on a picnic

Postby Dustin » Sat 01.29.2011 2:12 am

I vote for a creative looking Bento!

Saw a special on them recently and it would be PERFECT for the occasion.

Now what to put in it.... and hopefully you're artsy enough to make it look good ( I sure couldn't ) :D
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby tōkai devotee » Sat 01.29.2011 2:17 am

Neat idea, Dustin! I'm just checking out some websites. Is this what you mean by artsy??....
http://boingboing.net/2009/02/19/bento- ... t-wil.html
tōkai devotee

Postby Dustin » Sat 01.29.2011 2:30 am

tokai devotee wrote:Neat idea, Dustin! I'm just checking out some websites. Is this what you mean by artsy??....
http://boingboing.net/2009/02/19/bento- ... t-wil.html

That would definitely work, but perhaps a little above the level I'd assume any of us amateurs would be able to do :p

If you can pull something like it off, GREAT :)
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby tōkai devotee » Sat 01.29.2011 2:35 am

It would take a lot of skill. I'd definitely have to practice!!

Now to look at something a bit more simple......
tōkai devotee

Postby NileCat » Sat 01.29.2011 3:14 am

I’m quite sure that you have already tried google by the word お弁当. If I could be helpful a bit, I recommend you to try the keyword 行楽弁当. It would give you more entertaining ideas and recipes on the first page.
In any case, onigiri is the star of picnic lunch in my opinion. :)

EDIT: Also, if you really want to make it impressive, the key might be the box. Nice 重箱 always make the お弁当 look gorgeous. I'm afraid it might be difficult to get one of them there, though. :(
http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... %8Fd%94%A0
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby chikara » Sun 01.30.2011 7:43 pm

tokai devotee wrote:What would be the best Japanese food for a picnic? I know a lot of Japanese has to be eaten almost as soon as it's cooked, or it has to be refrigerated eg sushi. So I'm wondering what to take for a picnic. Would onigiri be good? I don't even know if I can buy umeboshi or other ingredients here in Adelaide. Others who live here may know. Chikara-san?? :wink: .....

I don't know about buying umeboshi as I have never seen it here but then I haven't been looking for it in particular. Your best bet would be the Little Tokyo shop in Victoria Square. I don't go in there very often as I avoid the CBD but I remember they had a range of furikake last time I was in there.

The Asian grocery store I shop at at Torrensville has a range of furikake and also stocks katsuobushi.

When I was a child cold roast chicken and salad and/or coleslaw were the staples of picnics. What about chicken karaage? Serve it cold with some lettuce and some Kewpie mayonnaise for dipping. My local Coles sells Kewpie mayonnaise in its Asian food section so you can probably get it out your way but then any mayo would do. A soba noodle salad is nice on a hot day.

As for Japanese food needing to be refrigerated, in this weather any food you take on a picnic needs to be on ice in an esky. :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby tōkai devotee » Tue 02.01.2011 4:47 am

ありがとう、CHIKARAさん、NILECATさん!
The Google search using 行楽弁当 was really helpful. Thanks for that!
I will check out the shop you mentioned, Chikara, next time I go to the CBD. And I'm thinking that the Asian supermarket (it has the kanji 金 in it's name) in the Central Market might have something as well.

My local supermarket sells Kewpie mayonnaise too. I love it!! It's the bestest mayo ever!

chikara wrote:As for Japanese food needing to be refrigerated, in this weather any food you take on a picnic needs to be on ice in an esky. :)

That's for sure! But luckily our picnic isn't for a while. I'm getting organised early! And if it were hot like this, we'd definitely postpone it :)
tōkai devotee

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan