Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 手伝ってくれませんか^^?

手伝ってくれませんか^^?

Do you have a translation question?

手伝ってくれませんか^^?

Postby Reibunny » Sun 01.30.2011 9:32 am

I've been studying Japanese myself for A level exam (if your unfamiliar with English schools it's basically the exams you do at 17/18 before university!) but since I don't have a teacher I'm worried about my awful translations! Any help you could give me would be totally appreciated!
この二つの文はBasic Kanji Book vol.1から^^

1.あの人は話題が多くて、明るい性質です。
”Since they have a lot of titles(?), they have a knowledgeable disposition” と訳したでけどこの文には「話題」の意味がちょっと分かりません. 

2.住宅問題について、今度の土曜に研究会がある。
英語で訳したのは"In relation to the homework(?) question there will be a study/research group this saturday." その文には「住宅問題」は「宿題」と同じ意味があると思ったでもちゃんと理解して自身がない :sweatdrop:

ありがとうございます!
Reibunny

Native language: English

Re: 手伝ってくれませんか^^?

Postby NileCat » Sun 01.30.2011 1:05 pm

Hi Reibunny, welcome to TJP.  :)

1. あの人 refers to a person, he or she.(singular)
2. 話題 means topics of conversation.
3. 明るい here refers to a more simple trait of his/her personality.
4. 住宅問題 means housing problem(s)

日本語の勉強、がんばってくださいね!
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 01.30.2011 10:53 pm

Nile-cat has given you some good pointers. But just a note about 話題が多い. Someone who has a lot of "topics of conversation" is someone who you can talk to about any subject and without running into any awkward silences. Maybe a good English translation would be "a good/fluent conversationalist" or something similar.

Also Nilecat: I think the OP was using "singular they". We often use they as a singular when we don't know if the subject is male or female. In this case it means the same as "he or she".
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby NileCat » Sun 01.30.2011 11:40 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Also Nilecat: I think the OP was using "singular they". We often use they as a singular when we don't know if the subject is male or female. In this case it means the same as "he or she".

Oops! :shock: I haven’t thought of that! :blush: Although I have a dim memory that I learned about the singular they at school, I’ve never properly paid attention to it. Thanks, becki! Sorry, Reibunny! :sweatdrop:
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby Reibunny » Mon 02.07.2011 2:47 pm

Thank you so much for your replies! I really misunderstood the sentances haha but what you've explained makes a lot of sense!
I really really appreciate your help :)
Reibunny

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion