Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Looking for a site

Looking for a site

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Looking for a site

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Wed 02.09.2011 12:25 am

I'm looking for a Japanese-learning website I found rather recently. I might have even been linked to it from one of the posts here. I think it was a university professor's site for her students. I distinctly remember vocabulary charts where if you rolled over a word with your mouse, you would see the answer for it. It probably used Javascript, but I'm not sure. There were no popups like Rikaichan or alt tags. I'd mostly like to find the site so I can use the code to make my own site for learning the language.

Funny sidenote: I posted this on the Remembering the Kanji forum and somebody called me "fartman."
Cyborg Ninja

Re: Looking for a site

Postby TJack » Wed 02.09.2011 12:48 am

Sorry I don't know any site like that, with vocab charts and stuff, but I do know Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese has something similar to what you said, i.e, you can put your mouse over most words (usually the ones in kanji) and it will show the definition with the hiragana. Maybe you can some how use that site?

Here's a random page that shows what I'm talking about, if you aren't familiar with the site already: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/gr ... iclesintro
TJack

Native language: 英語

Postby Dustin » Wed 02.09.2011 12:54 am

Cyborg Ninja wrote:
The page displayed a word on the left, and the meaning on the right while hovering the mouse over the word on the left.

^_^
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Wed 02.09.2011 1:02 am

Let me nip this in the bud. The page I'm referring to has NO POPUPS whatsoever. This cancels out Taekim's site which has popups made out of alt tags. A popup is something that appears on top of the window, over words, images, or whatever is below it. What I'm referring to does not do so: it is merely blank before rolling over the word to the left of it.
Cyborg Ninja

Postby chikara » Wed 02.09.2011 3:20 am

Cyborg Ninja wrote:..... I distinctly remember vocabulary charts where if you rolled over a word with your mouse, you would see the answer for it. It probably used Javascript, but I'm not sure. There were no popups like Rikaichan or alt tags. I'd mostly like to find the site so I can use the code to make my own site for learning the language. .....

Is this the effect you are after?

Define the following classes in your CSS. Style sheet mystyle.css is used in my example.

Code: Select all
.hidden { display: none; }
.unhidden { display: block; }

This is the HTML document;

Code: Select all
<html>
<head>
<!-- (C) Copyright: Chikara :p -->
<link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="./mystyle.css">

<script type="text/javascript">
  function unhide(divID) {
    var item = document.getElementById(divID);
    if (item) {
       item.className=(item.className=='hidden')?'unhidden':'hidden';
    }
  }
</script>
</head>
<body>
<b>Example of Showing and Hiding on Mouse Over</b><p>
Move you mouse cursor over a question to reveal the answer.<p>
<table>
<tr> <td><span onmouseover="unhide('_A1')" onmouseout="unhide('_A1')">Question 1</span></td> <td><div id="_A1" class="hidden">Answer 1</div></td> </tr>

<tr> <td><span onmouseover="unhide('_A2')" onmouseout="unhide('_A2')">Question 2</span></td> <td><div id="_A2" class="hidden">Answer 2</div></td> </tr>

<tr> <td><span onmouseover="unhide('_A3')" onmouseout="unhide('_A3')">Question 3</span></td> <td><div id="_A3" class="hidden">Answer 3</div></td> </tr>

<tr> <td><span onmouseover="unhide('_A4')" onmouseout="unhide('_A4')">Question 4</span></td> <td><div id="_A4" class="hidden">Answer 4</div></td> </tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

This works in IE8 and Firefox 3.6.8 :dance:

This thread probably belongs in the Computers & Technology forum.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Wed 02.09.2011 5:59 pm

Thanks Chikara, that's pretty much what the site did. All I have to do now is create a table and perhaps tie it with a database. I plan on using it for personal study of Japanese vocab.
Cyborg Ninja

Postby Dustin » Tue 02.15.2011 7:49 pm

Just to add, I was on tae kim and on this page noticed something SIMILAR to what you described

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/gr ... ofbeing_ex

It's not a rollover, and it reveals all the answers at once, but it's something I found, and reminded me of this thread :)
Dustin

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips