Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - a bit of speaking problem.

a bit of speaking problem.

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

a bit of speaking problem.

Postby Stefan » Wed 02.16.2011 1:12 pm

I can speak Japanese but, when talking to my Japanese friends or former teacher i find that end up using japanlish...
any ideas to help would be much appreciated.
Stefan

Re: a bit of speaking problem.

Postby NileCat » Wed 02.16.2011 2:05 pm

I always find Japanlish or Japanglish much easier to understand than English, though… :)
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Re: a bit of speaking problem.

Postby ss » Thu 02.17.2011 10:06 pm

I'm curious, what is everyone's earliest English-learning memory? There are different area of subjects to talk about --- vacations, movies, sports, public events, hobbies, TV shows and so on ..... At times, are there any specific situations where it occurs to you that you can't express yourself very well?

I have friends who can write good English (and Chinese), but when come to face to face communication, they sometimes struggle very hard, words just don't come out easily.

On the internet, especially in a language learning forum, people usually communicate by text messages, it's not hard to see someone's improvement in reading and writing skill. The more you participate, the more you improve. We speak, but how fluent are we, how naturally can we convey the idea across? Seriously, we don't grow up speaking Japanese every day, even with our own native tongue, we are sometimes simply stuck.

Non-native who live in Japan or any place where they have a lot of opportunity to speak the language every day, fluency is not a question at all.

So, just be yourself, try not to compare, give yourself some time to get better with the conversation part, don't be discouraged.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips