Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Practice Japanese or English in the TJP chat!

Practice Japanese or English in the TJP chat!

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Practice Japanese or English in the TJP chat!

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Fri 02.18.2011 9:43 am

As of recently the TJP chat has had very little activity except for a short time span when Japanese people usually show up in the evenings(local time), so it's pretty much dead during other hours. But I would like to invite everyone who wants to practice Japanese or English to the chat! When we get started we usually have pretty interesting discussions that can last for hours, so come by sometime and visit us.
Last edited by LordOfTheFlies on Sat 02.19.2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Re: Practice Japanese or English in the TJP chat!

Postby ss » Fri 02.18.2011 8:27 pm

LOF, thank you for the invitation.

We were inspired by Takashi san, last year with his great help, Txkun and I had completed a listening practice exercise by translating the English-sub of Japanese folktale. We didn't really spend too much time but the whole process was enjoyable and great. Here's the story -- 夜中のお弔い (Yonaka No Otomurai)

Since we now have a new chat facility, Txkun and I would like to continue with the listening practice. I think Txkun has some stories in mind.

I was there a few hours a couple of days ago, and was glad to meet some native Japanese like kt_anthrax and Sato san. They both can speak good English. I think I met Chikara san too.

It would be great if we could gather some people who are interested in this listening practice. I wonder if Nilecat, Hyperworm, Furrykef, Chikara, Chiyon, Becki_kanou, Tokai Devotee, Phreadom, Dustin and perhaps yourself are interested in jumping into the fire? :wink: :P

Anyone who would like to join are all welcome, we'll discuss the arrangements later, perhaps.

By the way, we are quite concerned, we haven't seen Takashi san for a very long time, we hope he is doing fine and look forward to seeing his return.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Dustin » Fri 02.18.2011 8:36 pm

Hmm, jumping into the fire.

I might try, but I am not very confident in my level quite yet.

Worst thing that happens is that I don't understand much, so hey, why not ^_^
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Sat 02.19.2011 1:05 am

How exactly does this listening practice work? :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby chikara » Sat 02.19.2011 1:30 am

ss wrote:..... I was there a few hours a couple of days ago, and was glad to meet some native Japanese like kt_anthrax and Sato san. They both can speak good English. I think I met Chikara san too. .....

Yes SS-san, I was chatting with you the other day, mostly about the weather. :)

phreadom wrote:How exactly does this listening practice work? :)

Text to speech. :P
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby NileCat » Sat 02.19.2011 5:25 am

Thanks for the invitation.
I’ll keep trying to visit the room as much as I can. And I'd be glad if I can be helful for the interesting project. :)

There is just one thing I’d like to let you know. I’m afraid it might be a trivial thing and I’m just thinking too much, though.
Let me tell you an old tale of mine.
Many years ago, when I was talking with my English teacher, I happened to ask him a question like this: When you are talking to your friends over a glass of beer in your home country, how frequently do you use swearing words? After considering it for a moment, he replied: “Once in every minute, at least.”, and we laughed, because that was as same as I myself do in my mother tongue. FYI, he was in his 30s, a very intelligent and polite guy. So I asked him to speak like that before me. And, when he did it for me, I figured that his speech was all Greek to me EXCEPT FOR those four letter words…
You know what? That’s why children in general learn those words very quickly prior to the period they get to know “school-ish” language. But, oh wait! I'm not telling you about the palpable words, which are very easy to handle as you know. :)
In Japanese, believe it or not, we don’t have many kinds of those colorful words compared to English. Instead, we have tons of variations of ‘gobi’. Besides, the appropriate choice of the words or gobi changes depending on the situation. For instance, I remember threads like this. There exists a possible situation where a boss in a company will be sued only because they addressed a young employee using the unbearably rude word “omae”. But, at the same time, the same word is widely used in very friendly manners even in the same floor of the company!

Now, I suppose you could understand that any chat room on the internet can be potential “fire” for me :-P , especially in language learning fora.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby Txkun » Sat 02.19.2011 4:11 pm

phreadom wrote:How exactly does this listening practice work? :)

We can choose a video that's our level or interesting.
In 夜中のお弔い we tried to put down the exact Japanese script of the audio (last time Takashisan helped us a lot - Shirley is very good a listening but I'm terrible :lol: ).
Then we translated the text and tried to translate in a subtitle friendly way ( not too long lines, following of the pauses present in the original video).

Then we created a subtitle file (seems complex but it's just a timer with the text).

For 夜中のお弔い we uploaded a new video but we can also send subtitle to the original uploader.
I talk about youtube because it has a nice feature since you can put subtitles in no time.

I agree with Shirley, it was fun. :D
Maybe can be a little project to motivate people? :D
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby Hektor6766 » Sun 02.20.2011 1:30 am

Love your vid! I was wondering, though, with all the homophones Japanese has, it would help me greatly if the kana you worked through were provided, perhaps interactively transcribed similar to the English, or just posted in the notes. People like me might recognize the written language better, and associate it with the audio to improve listening skills. What do you think?
Hektor6766

Postby Txkun » Sun 02.20.2011 3:24 am

Hektor6766 wrote:Love your vid! I was wondering, though, with all the homophones Japanese has, it would help me greatly if the kana you worked through were provided, perhaps interactively transcribed similar to the English, or just posted in the notes. People like me might recognize the written language better, and associate it with the audio to improve listening skills. What do you think?

Nice idea!
Yes, it would be posssible since you can have more subtitles in a video, one for each language.
Txkun

Postby chikara » Sun 02.20.2011 7:10 pm

Hektor6766 wrote:..... with all the homophones Japanese has, it would help me greatly if the kana you worked through were provided ......

Since kana is phonetic it will not help you distinguish between homophones. Japanese homophones written in kana are both homographs and homonyms.

Maybe you mean the Japanese text, which would include kanji as well as kana? :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Hektor6766 » Sun 02.20.2011 11:18 pm

すみません、書き言葉の全部。
Hektor6766

Postby ss » Mon 02.21.2011 7:03 am

Nilecat san wrote:
Now, I suppose you could understand that any chat room on the internet can be potential “fire” for me :-P , especially in language learning fora.

Nilecat san, wait till I speak Singlish. :P

I think we are very familiar with slang terms like "whatup?", "zip it!", "Gotcha!" in English, there are actually tons of informal varieties. Once I heard someone mentioned the word "cabbage" and I really thought it meant "vegetable", but I was told it actually meant "slow learner", and someone also said "drinking the apple kool-aid" ....

While we are talking about practicing Japanese and English, personally, I think a language forum or a language chat room is a very good place for us to practice everyday conversation. As people come from all over the world, different ethnic beliefs and cultural background, how you would express your idea to someone? I don't mind people speaking like a Geek, the only thing is, we don't see each other face to face, so sometimes it's good to explain what those words mean, so people understand what you are actually trying to say, and not taking you as rude or trying to act mean. When you teach something, you try to explain it in many different ways, sometimes by describing an interesting experience or telling a story.

We all come here for the same reason --- TO LEARN and TO RE-LEARN. And, chatting can be one of the ways to relax, so why not?

In that video, it was very kind of Takashi san to elaborate on the actual meanings and usage as well, there were many old terms used in that story. Like, you hear:

はて、かような夜更けに、弔いとは妙な・・・、しかも、これは武士の弔いのようじゃが、藩中(はんちゅう)で不幸があったという話は聞かなかったぞ。
** かような is the same as modern Japanese このような

大場宇平?拙者(せっしゃ)のお弔いでじゃないか!
** 拙者(せっしゃ) is like Samurai talk, it means 私, 自分.

ごめん、横山太左衛門殿は居られるか。かように朝早くから、なにごとじゃ?
** かように is the same as こんなに、このように

自分の家の前まで来ると、門の前には、ついいましがた、お弔いの送り火を炊いた跡が残っておりました。
** ついいましがた means "just now" like the way you use たったいま~したところ、

大場殿ではござらぬか?
** ござらぬか is the same as おおばどのではございますか?meaning おおばどのですか?

*狐につままれたように is an idiomatic phrase

Like what Nilecat san said here , there are indeed tons of Q&As written in Japanese, most of them are possibly just illogical and meaningless craps. So, it's good to know people these days don't speak like that, and not everything in the nets are reliable, there are chances you are copying and pasting craps and misleading others. Be it English or Japanese, or any other languages, clarifying stuff with native speakers is thus essential. That's what a language forum and chat-room for.
ss

Postby ss » Mon 02.21.2011 7:10 am

Hektor6766さん、

You'll get a lot of hits for the original story of 夜中のおとむらい, however the script in the vid is quite different from the original story. I made a lot of mistakes, the Japanese script here was actually marked and corrected by Takashi san, so it shouldn't have any error. Just in case you spotted any, please feel free to correct it. I'm bad at PC IT, so I'll leave to Txkun to update the vid.

Spoiler:
0:00 - 01:45
昔、今の山形県、鶴岡(つるおか)の城下(じょうか)に、おおばおへいと言う侍(さむらい)がおりました。
ある日のこと、仲間の寄り合い(よりあい)から帰る途中のことでした。
まもなく、自分の家が見えてくるという所(ところ)で、ふと顔を上げると、向こうから、なにやら、行列がやって来るのが見えました。
よく見ると、それは皆(みな)白い着物を着たお弔い(おとむらい)の行列でした。

01:45 - 03:02
そのお弔いの行列は、話し声一つ立てず、ただただ草履(ぞうり)の音だけが、静まり返った夜更け(よふけ)の町に、ひたひたと響いている(ひびいている)ばかりでした。
もし、これはどなたのお弔いかな?
お馬廻り(おうままわり)200石(こく)、大場宇平(おおばおへい)様のお弔いでございます。
大場宇平? 拙者(せっしゃ)のお弔いでじゃないか!

03:05 - 04:03
自分のお弔いと聞かされて、驚いたうへいが振り向くと、その行列は立ち止まって、じっと、うへいのほうを見つめておりました。
うへいは背中に水を浴びせられたようにぞっとして、思わず駆け出してしまいました。
おとみ、おみつ、しんのすけ
きくは、おらんか
誰もおらんのか

04:04 -06:18
宇平は家人をおこして聞こうとしましたが、家の中には誰もおりませんでした。
これはいったいどうした事だ
宇平はさっぱり訳がわからず途方にくれるばかりでした。
家を出ると、宇平は当てもなく彷徨い歩きました。どれほどの時が過ぎたか、いつの間にやってき来たのか、宇平はお城のお堀端(おほりばた)に立っておりました。
大場殿ではござらぬか?
かような時刻にいかがなされた?
よこやま殿(横山殿)
声をかけてきたのは、宇平と親しい横山太左衛門(たざえもん)という侍でした。ようやく話の出来る相手に会えて、宇平はこれまでのいきさつを太左衛門にすっかり話して聞かせました。
そして、太左衛門を連れて(つれて)、再び自分の家まで戻って来ると、なんと、明かりが点いて(ついて)おります。
おかえりなさいまし。
宇平が中に入ると、家の人達は何事も無かったかのように、帰りの遅い宇平のことを気にかけながら待っておりました。
宇平が尋ねる(たずねる)と、「皆(みな)ずっと家に居た」と言います。

06:20 -10:40
宇平は、まるで狐(きつね)につままれたような気分で。呆然(ぼうぜん)としてしまいました。
そして、しかたなく、その場はちょっとした宇平の思い違いだということで、太左衛門は宇平をなだめて帰ることにしました。
太左衛門にしても、宇平が嘘を言っているとも思えませんでしたが、かと言って、確かめるすべも無く、うやむやのまま、やがて幾日かが過ぎていきました。
そして、ある朝のこと。
ごめん、横山太左衛門殿は居られるか。
かように朝早くから、なにごとじゃ?
お休みのところまことにもうしわけござらぬ。実は夕べ夜遅く、大葉宇平殿が亡くなられたので、その旨(むね)お知らせにまいった。
大葉宇平殿が亡くなられた?!
大葉宇平は、夜中に屋敷に押し入った(おしいった)賊(ぞく)にあっけなく切り殺されてしまったということで、そのわけも、犯人も分からずじまいでした。
宇平から聞いたあの不思議な(ふしぎな)お弔いの行列の話は、太左衛門はまだ誰にも話していませんでしたが、それは心のすみに妙に(みょうに)引っかかっておりました。
墓場に行く間も、あの行列の話は、太左衛門の頭から離れませんでした。 そんな時です。
もし、これは何方のお弔いかな
お馬廻り200石、大葉宇平様のお弔いで御座います。
今尋ねたのは誰だ?
えっ、そこのお侍様で・・・。
どこの?
ほれ、すぐそこの
あれ?
確かに今あそこに・・・
大葉殿が見たというのは、この行列のことだったんだ
大葉宇平は生きているあいだに本当に自分のお弔いを見てしまったのでした。
昔、山形県鶴岡であったという不思議な話でした。

I recommend mujina.agz.jp site:
Here is the full story:

昔、山形県鶴岡の城下に大葉宇平という侍がおりました。或る夜のこと、宇平は仲間同士の寄り合いから帰る途中、月も星も出ておらぬ真っ暗な闇の中、心もとない提灯の明かりだけを頼りに足元を見ながら、ゆらゆらと歩いておりましたが、間も無くして、自分の屋敷が見えてくる辺りでふと顔を上げてみますと、向こうから、ザッザッザッザッ、と何やら行列がやってくるのが見えました、よく見るとそれは皆、白い着物を着たお弔いの行列でした。その行列は俯き、話し声ひとつ立てず、ただただ草履の音だけが静まり返った夜更けの町にひたひたと響いているばかりでした、宇平はその行列に道を譲り、はて、かような夜更けに弔いとは妙な、しかもこれは武士の弔いのようじゃが藩中で不幸があったという話は聞かなかったが。そう思ってお弔いの一人に「もし、これは何方のお弔いかな」と尋ねてみたのです、すると「御馬廻り二百石、大葉宇平様のお弔いで御座います。」それを聞いた宇平は呆然とその場で固まっておりましたが、もうお弔いの一人は軽く会釈をするとひたひたと通り過ぎて行きました。「大葉・・・宇平・・・・拙者の弔いじゃあないか。」自分のお弔いと聞かされて、驚いた宇平が、我に返って振り向きますと、お弔いの行列は立ち止まってこちらをじいっと見つめておるのです。宇平は背中に水を浴びせられたようにゾッとして、思わず駆け出してしまいました。「はっ、はっ、はっ、はっ」どこをどう走ったか自分の屋敷の前まで来ると、つい今しがたお弔いの送り火を焚いた後が残っておりました。宇平は急いで中に飛び入るや「お民、お美津」また奥の障子を開き「慎之介」と家の者の名前を叫び、暗い屋敷の中を手探りに、また心細く「菊は・・・」と呼びかけ「誰も、おらぬのか・・・・」

最後にこぼした言葉はゆっくりと闇の中に吸い込まれ、人の気配の無いしんとした屋敷の中でぱた、ぱた、と畳に冷や汗のしたたる音だけが聞こえたのでした。「これは一体どうした事だ」宇平はさっぱり訳がわからず途方に暮れ、家を出ると当てもなく彷徨い歩き、気がつくと城下のお堀端まで来ていました。何から考えていいやら、宇平はお堀の水面がうっすらと波打つ様をしばらく見ていましたが、不意にぼんやりとした明かりが背中にあたり「大葉殿では御座らぬか」聞き慣れた声に振り返ると、宇平と親しい横山という侍が、猫だましを食らったような顔で立っておりました「かような時刻にどうなされた」宇平は「横山殿」と藁にもすがり付くような思いで横山の袖の裾を握り、ようやく話の出来る人間に会えたので、自分のこれまでのいきさつをすっかり横山に話して聞かせました。それから、なんとも不可解な顔をしている横山を連れて、再び自分の家まで戻りますと、今度は、明かりがこうこうと、どの部屋にも灯っており、宇平が中に入ると屋敷の者は何事もなかったように「おかえりなさいまし。」と帰りの遅い宇平を気に掛けながら待っておりました。ですので、宇平はどうも合点がいかない様子で皆に尋ねてみましたところ、ずっと家に居たと言うのです。宇平はまるで狐につままれたようにぼおっと立ちすくんでしまい、そして、仕方なくその場は宇平のちょっとした思い違いだということで、横山は宇平を宥めて帰る事にしました。帰り道すがら横山にしても宇平が嘘を言っているとは思えないように考えていましたが、確かめるすべもなく、うやむやのまま、やがて幾日かが過ぎて行き、そして、或る朝。横山が呑気に囲炉裏の火に手をかざしておるところへ、「御免、横山殿は居られるか」厳めしく横山を呼ぶ声がしました。「かように朝早くから何事じゃ」横山がそう言って出て行きましたら、二人の侍が神妙な面持ちで立っており「お休みのところ誠に申し訳ござらぬ、実は夕べ夜遅く大葉宇平殿が亡くなられたので、その旨お知らせに参った。」と告げたのでありました。それは、大葉宇平は夜中に押し入った賊にあっけなく斬り殺されてしまい、その訳も犯人もわからず仕舞いだという事らしく、横山は宇平から聞いた、あの不思議なお弔いの行列の話は、まだ誰にも話しませんでしたが、それはどこか、まだ心の隅に妙に引っ掛かっており、葬式を終え墓場に行く間も横山の頭から離れませんでした。そんな時、「もし、これは何方のお弔いかな」すぐ隣に歩いております、宇平の家の下男が何やら声を掛けられているのが耳に入りました、すると、下男はそれに「御馬廻り二百石、大葉宇平様のお弔いで御座います。」と答えたのです、これを聞いてはっとした横山は下男に「今尋ねたのは誰だ」半ば叫ぶように聞き、下男は慌てながら「へぇ、そこのお侍様で」「どこのじゃ」その勢いですぐに横山は聞き返しました。「ほれ、すぐそこの」と下男は後ろを指差しましたが誰もおらず「あれえ、確かに今そこに・・・」やがて横山と下男が何事かけわしく話しているのに、周りのお弔い行列も気がついて振り返って立ち止りました。横山は見えない大葉宇平をよくよく凝視するように、二三歩歩いて「大葉殿が見たというのはこの行列のことだったんだ」そう誰にも聞こえぬ程の声でぽつりと言いました。大葉宇平は生きている間に本当に自分のお弔いを見てしまったのでした。昔、山形県鶴岡であったという不思議な話でした。
ss

Postby NileCat » Mon 02.21.2011 9:08 am

ss wrote:... Just in case you spotted any, please feel free to correct it. ...

There were a few tiny typos there. :wink:
Spoiler:
0:00 - 01:45
昔、今の山形県、鶴岡(つるおか)の城下(じょうか)に、大場宇平(おおばへい)と言う侍(さむらい)がおりました。
ある日のこと、仲間の寄り合い(よりあい)から帰る途中のことでした。
まもなく、自分の家が見えてくるという所(ところ)で、ふと顔を上げると、向こうから、なにやら、行列がやって来るのが見えました。
よく見ると、それは皆(みな)白い着物を着たお弔い(おとむらい)の行列でした。

01:45 - 03:02
そのお弔いの行列は、話し声一つ立てず、ただただ草履(ぞうり)の音だけが、静まり返った夜更け(よふけ)の町に、ひたひたと響いている(ひびいている)ばかりでした。
もし、これはどなたのお弔いかな?
お馬廻り(おうままわり)200石(こく)、大場宇平(おおばへい)様のお弔いでございます。
大場宇平? 拙者(せっしゃ)のお弔いじゃないか!

03:05 - 04:03
自分のお弔いと聞かされて、驚いた宇平が振り向くと、その行列は立ち止まって、じっと、宇平のほうを見つめておりました。
宇平は背中に水を浴びせられたようにぞっとして、思わず駆け出してしまいました。
おとみ、おみつ、しんのすけ
きくは、おらんか
誰もおらんのか

04:04 -06:18
宇平は家人をおこして聞こうとしましたが、家の中には誰もおりませんでした。
これはいったいどうした事だ
宇平はさっぱり訳がわからず途方にくれるばかりでした。
家を出ると、宇平は当てもなく彷徨い歩きました。どれほどの時が過ぎたか、いつの間にやってき来たのか、宇平はお城のお堀端(おほりばた)に立っておりました。
大場殿ではござらぬか?
かような時刻にいかがなされた?
よこやま殿(横山殿)
声をかけてきたのは、宇平と親しい横山太左衛門(たざえもん)という侍でした。ようやく話の出来る相手に会えて、宇平はこれまでのいきさつを太左衛門にすっかり話して聞かせました。
そして、太左衛門を連れて(つれて)、再び自分の家まで戻って来ると、なんと、明かりが点いて(ついて)おります。
おかえりなさいまし。
宇平が中に入ると、家の人達は何事も無かったかのように、帰りの遅い宇平のことを気にかけながら待っておりました。
宇平が尋ねる(たずねる)と、「皆(みな)ずっと家に居た」と言います。

06:20 -10:40
宇平は、まるで狐(きつね)につままれたような気分で。呆然(ぼうぜん)としてしまいました。
そして、しかたなく、その場はちょっとした宇平の思い違いだということで、太左衛門は宇平をなだめて帰ることにしました。
太左衛門にしても、宇平が嘘を言っているとも思えませんでしたが、かと言って、確かめるすべも無く、うやむやのまま、やがて幾日かが過ぎていきました。
そして、ある朝のこと。
ごめん、横山太左衛門殿は居られるか。
かように朝早くから、なにごとじゃ?
お休みのところまことにもうしわけござらぬ。実は夕べ夜遅く、大宇平殿が亡くなられたので、その旨(むね)お知らせにまいった。
宇平殿が亡くなられた?!
宇平は、夜中に屋敷に押し入った(おしいった)賊(ぞく)にあっけなく切り殺されてしまったということで、そのわけも、犯人も分からずじまいでした。
宇平から聞いたあの不思議な(ふしぎな)お弔いの行列の話は、太左衛門はまだ誰にも話していませんでしたが、それは心のすみに妙に(みょうに)引っかかっておりました。
墓場に行く間も、あの行列の話は、太左衛門の頭から離れませんでした。 そんな時です。
もし、これは何方のお弔いかな
お馬廻り200石、大宇平様のお弔いで御座います。
今尋ねたのは誰だ?
えっ、そこのお侍様で・・・。
どこの?
ほれ、すぐそこの
あれ?
確かに今あそこに・・・
殿が見たというのは、この行列のことだったんだ
宇平は生きているあいだに本当に自分のお弔いを見てしまったのでした。
昔、山形県鶴岡であったという不思議な話でした。
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby Txkun » Mon 02.21.2011 3:23 pm

Wow, NileCat! Thanks for the help!! :bow:

Soon I'll put this script in the youtube vid, and if I got a little more time will put the subtitles as an additional language (but I don't know when, today I got extra-busy :cry: ).

a little update!
I did add the japanese script (thanks again Nilecat and, of course, Takashi).
For anyone interested the japanese script in kanji is visible as an additional subtitle now :)
Txkun

Next

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)