Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Genki - New Revised Edition Coming Soon

Genki - New Revised Edition Coming Soon

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

Genki - New Revised Edition Coming Soon

Postby funk_e » Wed 11.17.2010 12:46 am

Hi All,

I came across this in my travels: http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/kaitei.en.html

Looks like a new revised edition will be available from March. I just bought my Genki textbooks (because I cannot wait that long!) but it does look like a good revision that modernises and updates the original.
funk_e

Native language: English

Re: Genki - New Revised Edition Coming Soon

Postby phreadom » Wed 11.17.2010 7:57 am

Awesome! Nice find. :D

I already have Genki I, the first student CD, the workbook, and answer key... :? it makes me wonder if I should switch to the new version if I decide to go through Genki again (I only went up to chapter 10 before switching to Japanese For Everyone to work through it with a friend). :think:

Well, the nice thing is that I have the answer key right now, and for the new revised edition it won't be available until at least September of next year... because the answer key includes both I and II and thus needs to wait for II to be finished. :P

But it sounds like a nice revision. :mrgreen:

For those who want a quick summary of some of the key changes; basically they updated the vocabulary used throughout the book to be more modern (like email instead of letter, mp3 instead of cassette tape, etc), added a cultural notes section to each chapter so you can learn more about Japan, redid all the audio material and moved it to MP3 format to save space, PDFs (on CD) for flashcards that have pictures for each vocabulary word, AND added audio material for the workbook so that a student can now self study more easily without needing a partner!

The article obviously goes into more detail and lists the things they didn't change etc.

どうもありがとう funk_eさん! :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Tsikura » Wed 11.17.2010 10:05 am

Very nice and can't wait for September. Looks like good timing for my Japanese course.
Tsikura

Postby funk_e » Wed 11.17.2010 6:41 pm

I too have the Genki 1, Workbook, Answer book and student CD (They should arrive at any moment!) and luckily I have a Japanese friend who said she will help me through the workbook! (I am very lucky!). Not to mention finding this site :-)

I might see how far along they are with the Genki II revision when I get up to it...
funk_e

Postby TJack » Wed 11.17.2010 11:06 pm

It's great they are adding some cultural notes in each sections. The notes were, in my opinion one of the few good things that were in the Nakama series.

Video replaced by DVD

Lol, it isn't even released out yet and it's already outdated. :-P
TJack

Native language: 英語

Postby phreadom » Wed 11.17.2010 11:45 pm

TJack wrote:It's great they are adding some cultural notes in each sections. The notes were, in my opinion one of the few good things that were in the Nakama series.

Video replaced by DVD

Lol, it isn't even released out yet and it's already outdated. :-P

haha.. nice. ;)

I also noticed that my "Japanese For Everyone" textbook already has "Cultural Notes" sections (called just that too). But the audio is no longer even officially available for it... pros and cons... pros and cons... ;) It sounds like Genki is taking another nice step forward though. I might have to do what funk_e said and consider picking up the new version of Genki II when it comes out
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby funk_e » Mon 02.21.2011 9:27 pm

I just wanted to leave a note to say that I picked up a copy of the revised Genki 1 textbook this last weekend! I was shocked when I saw it in my local Kinokuniya :-)

They didn't have Genki 2 but i'm sure it cant be too far away :-)
funk_e

Postby Dustin » Mon 02.21.2011 9:33 pm

funk_e wrote:I just wanted to leave a note to say that I picked up a copy of the revised Genki 1 textbook this last weekend! I was shocked when I saw it in my local Kinokuniya :-)

They didn't have Genki 2 but i'm sure it cant be too far away :-)

Genki 2 revised edition is slated for a september release ^_^
Dustin

Return to Genki Textbook