Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - あなた、あんた

あなた、あんた

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

あなた、あんた

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Fri 01.14.2011 10:38 pm

I'd like to know the differences and appropriate circumstances for using あなた and あんた. I feel like I hear it used more often than I thought the words would be used. I heard it used between doctors in a J-drama. I originally thought it would only be used between couples, excluding people who just met and don't know each other's names yet.

私の質問に答えてください。
Last edited by Cyborg Ninja on Sat 01.15.2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyborg Ninja

Re: あなた、あんた

Postby kt_anthrax » Sat 01.15.2011 4:22 am

I think your understanding about あなた and あんた is right.

If I will add a comment,
あなた is more polite expresion than あんた.
Also, meaning of あなた and あんた almost same as "you"
But many of japanese do not use "subject" in their conversations
kt_anthrax

Native language: japanese

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 01.15.2011 8:58 pm

Also あんた is used almost exclusively by women (and drag queens/ effeminate type gay men), so if you don't fit in either of those categories you'd probably be better off leaving it in your passive vocabulary.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Sat 01.15.2011 9:44 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Also あんた is used almost exclusively by women...

I thought so, until I heard it used in both Yakuza 4 (Ryu ga Gotoku) and Iryu 3, and it was used by men. It also showed it in the subtitles.
Cyborg Ninja

Postby Ongakuka » Sun 01.16.2011 10:50 am

Yes あんた is sometimes used by men, and like 'omae' its use would be considered insulting to people above your status (and people below your status may be offended too.) as you would expect, its just a slang form of あなた

Just as women may use あなた to their husbands in affectionate way, あんた can have the same function.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby tuber97 » Thu 01.27.2011 1:01 am

I recently discovered that あなた is for someone that is..."special" to you. So should I not regularly use あなた for "you"? My teacher said to just use their names, but that sounds kinda weird... :shock:

I also found out that お前 is rude (lit. "the one in front of me"). So would I never use that to someone I'm not close friends with? In what situation would it be appropriate to use お前?
お前の魂をいただくよ。
tuber97

Native language: English (US) 米語

Postby NileCat » Thu 01.27.2011 1:10 am

NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby chikara » Thu 01.27.2011 2:05 am

tuber97 wrote:..... I also found out that お前 is rude (lit. "the one in front of me"). So would I never use that to someone I'm not close friends with? In what situation would it be appropriate to use お前?

On one trip to Japan I watched the movie Face Off on TV in English with Japanese sub-titles. There is one scene where Nicolas Cage's original character wakes up with John Travolta's face and he is very, very angry. He is cursing every one around him using the F-word, "#@$% you, "#@$% you, "#@$% you". The subtile for each ""#@$% you" was お前.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby furrykef » Thu 01.27.2011 2:25 am

Well, let's not go too far in that direction, because the majority of the time you encounter "omae", it's not used as an insult. You just gotta be really, really careful with it, because it can be, and is a lot more likely to be taken as insulting in real life than in media like anime and games.

I'd say watch for when other people use "omae" (in real life, not just media) and imitate that usage -- and only when you've got a firm handle on it.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 02.09.2011 5:46 pm

Omae is definately a senpai/kohai situational word. the senpai would call his kohai omae while the kohai would use other forms of keigo to his senpai. For example, you might find a father speaking to his son and using Omae, especially if he were correcting or chastising his son for doing something inappropriate.

There are many words for the word 'you'. anata, anta, kimi, koitsu, yatsu, nanji, omae, and a few others better left for another occasion. Each of these words could be appropriate depending on the situation and the person.

notice also that the honorific O is used before mae (O-mae) or one could think of it as the honorable one before me. Of course words change over time and the real meaning tends to be lost in tradition.. :)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 02.09.2011 5:48 pm

chikara wrote:
tuber97 wrote:..... I also found out that お前 is rude (lit. "the one in front of me"). So would I never use that to someone I'm not close friends with? In what situation would it be appropriate to use お前?

On one trip to Japan I watched the movie Face Off on TV in English with Japanese sub-titles. There is one scene where Nicolas Cage's original character wakes up with John Travolta's face and he is very, very angry. He is cursing every one around him using the F-word, "#@$% you, "#@$% you, "#@$% you". The subtile for each ""#@$% you" was お前.

that's strange because there are much more appropriate words that could be used here besides Omae.. oh well, whoever translated that took a few ... ahhh. mmmm. liberties? lol
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Thu 02.10.2011 11:59 am

tuber97 wrote:I recently discovered that あなた is for someone that is..."special" to you. So should I not regularly use あなた for "you"? My teacher said to just use their names, but that sounds kinda weird... :shock:

It might sound wierd in English, but in Japanese it does not. Use their family name or position/title. Save anata for "What's your name?"

It's interesting watching Japanese show subtitles, and noticing all the times that the subtitle refers to a person by given name, or as you, and neither was ever in the Japanese. Seriously, the two can even be in a passionate embrace and still be using titles. But the subtitle will use given name, or you.

Another English-Japanese difference in name usage, is the need to mix it up. English speakers don't like repeating any one reference, using "you" or "Paul" too many times in a sentence feels wrong, so if a sentence needs to refer to someone directly, we will mix it up. Japanese do not. If a Japanese person needs to specify a person in a sentence, they will repeat the name as many times as necessary.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby persephonequinn » Fri 03.04.2011 12:11 pm

I too always confused with あなた & あんた, so I asked my Japanese friend (on skype) what's the different. Often we heard that the wife will call the husband あなた too, so I asked him why. He too can't explain it to me until I make example.

I might be wrong, because I asked my Japanese friend and he agreed with my examples, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. When the wife calling out the husband.
あなた、今日は忙しい?
the tone in using あなた is softer.

2. When you are talking to someone you know you use あなた too.
貴方の鞄ですか。 (normal tone)

3. When I asked about あんた he said is to use of someone you are not very close or know.
あんた誰。 (who are you?) - often we watched in on Jdrama when someone suddenly appear without someone's knowledge.

This is my understanding of あなた and あんた from my friend. :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong. thank you
日本頑張って!

Learning Japanese need disciplines..
http://nihongobenkyoushimasu.blogspot.com/ is where I put all my Minna no Nihongo Renshuu B answer there. Won't be 100% correct nor 100% wrong.

I <3 learning Languages n Nihongo is one of them
persephonequinn

Native language: English n 4 more

Postby NileCat » Fri 03.04.2011 2:20 pm

1 and 2 sound fine to me.
Are you asking about the difference between “あなた誰?” and “あんた誰?” on 3?
It seems to me that the general rules have already well explained in those posts above. I suppose your friend just wanted to tell you that あんた can convey some suspicious feelings of the speaker in the questions like “who are you?”, because あんた usually sounds blunter than あなた when it is used to a stranger.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby persephonequinn » Fri 03.04.2011 9:48 pm

NileCat wrote:1 and 2 sound fine to me.
Are you asking about the difference between “あなた誰?” and “あんた誰?” on 3?
It seems to me that the general rules have already well explained in those posts above. I suppose your friend just wanted to tell you that あんた can convey some suspicious feelings of the speaker in the questions like “who are you?”, because あんた usually sounds blunter than あなた when it is used to a stranger.

Thanks for 1 & 2

Yeah, maybe he is telling me the suspicious feelings. and I do agreed with you that あんた is blunter in asking stranger.
thanks
日本頑張って!

Learning Japanese need disciplines..
http://nihongobenkyoushimasu.blogspot.com/ is where I put all my Minna no Nihongo Renshuu B answer there. Won't be 100% correct nor 100% wrong.

I <3 learning Languages n Nihongo is one of them
persephonequinn

Native language: English n 4 more

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems