Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Books/Magazines in Japanese

Books/Magazines in Japanese

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Books/Magazines in Japanese

Postby ebo123 » Tue 12.20.2005 10:37 am

Hello,

I was wondering if there were any magazines, in the U.S., that are in (basic) Japanese, and less than 100$ for a subscription. I looked and all I found were ones from Japan that had to be shipped to the U.S.!

I am looking for one that has a years subscription and is written in very basic Japanese, or it could be in both Japanese and English.

If anyone has any information at all, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Enjoy today, for yesterday is gone, and tommorow may never come.
ebo123

RE: Books/Magazines in Japanese

Postby yankumi » Tue 12.20.2005 11:38 am

Hiragana Times is recommended for people learning Japanese. You can buy individual copies here on the site. You could order a copy and see if it was what you were looking for.

This is the official website with information on purchasing a subscription

http://www.hiraganatimes.com/hp/magazin ... rip-E.html

This website allows you to have a revolving where they just charge you each month for the magazine until you say you want to stop receiving it. I don't know what the shipping is, but I have ordered other things from them and the shipping was fairly reasonable.

In re-reading your question I don't think I answered it quite right, Hiragana Times would be shipping out of Japan. Maybe someone else will have a better answer.
yankumi

Postby ebo123 » Tue 12.20.2005 1:00 pm

I had looked into Hiragana Times. I particularly liked it because it is in Japanese AND English, but I can not remember if I looked at the price. I will look into it.

Thanks anyway for taking the time to help me.

EDIT

I looked into it and (1) yen = 0.00648(or somthing like that). For a year's subscription, it would be around 60 dollars. Not too bad.

Thanks
Last edited by ebo123 on Tue 12.20.2005 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ebo123

Postby ebo123 » Tue 12.20.2005 1:10 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to be get that magazine(the cost).

However, I was thinking of getting a single issue of one of the magazines. Seeing that I am only a beginner, I think I should get the Hiragana Times. I would greatly appreciate anyone's opinion on the matter.

Thank You very much
ebo123

Postby coco » Tue 12.20.2005 5:19 pm

coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby ebo123 » Tue 12.20.2005 7:54 pm

^Yes, that is where I got most of my information. But thanks anyway.
ebo123

Postby clay » Tue 12.20.2005 9:59 pm

Before, there was Nihongo Journal which was an excellent monthly for learning Japanese. But it wasn't for beginners really. Right now there isn't anything I know of that fills that void. Hiragana Times is alright, but it isn't designed for learning Japanese (although you can certainly use it for that purpose). The articles are more about Japanese culture and living in Japan.

I would highly recommend Mangajin back issues:
http://www.thejapanshop.net/books/mangajin.htm
It is also not in print now, but man was it a great magazine. All levels of learners can get something out of it. From beginners to fairly advanced students.

I can't wait for the next Nihongo Journal or Mangajin to come around. But not yet...

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips