Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How to phrase this simple sentence??

How to phrase this simple sentence??

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

How to phrase this simple sentence??

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 03.06.2011 3:05 am

"It is not too late to learn Japanese.". I tried and got:
Oso sugiru dewa arimasen wa nihongo wo manabimasu
Or is it" Nihonga wa oso sugiru dewa arimasen wo manabimasu"
Or something completely different?? Please only use kana or romaji for the words, i dont know kanji
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Re: How to phrase this simple sentence??

Postby blutorange » Sun 03.06.2011 5:01 am

Hello 白(しろ)いさん,

Oso sugiru dewa arimasen wa nihongo wo manabimasu.
Nihonga wa oso sugiru dewa arimasen wo manabimasu

I think you are still thinking too much about English (or your native language's) word order. Your second sentence is grammatically incorrect. を is used to mark a noun (or noun phrase), so in your second sentence, it is not possible to add it after the verb ではありません. In fact, it might be taken to mean something like " 'Japanese's not being too late-ness' I learn." Your first sentence is almost correct, the two parts before and after the は should be swapped. It would probably be understood, but it sounds strange. A few modifications, though, and the sentence would also be correct in this order:
Code: Select all
遅過ぎ無いのは日本語を学ぶ事です。
Oso suginai no ha, nihongo wo manabu koto desu.
What is not too late, is learning Japanese.

ではありません is used to negate adjective, but as for verbs, they have a conjugation themselves with ない, which you should use instead. こと is added to make the second part nominal. の turns the preceding sentence into some sort of noun form. Then you can use the standard construction (Thing A)は(Thing B)です, with A being "that which is not too late" and B "[the act of] studying Japanese".

More common, however, is:

Swapping the two parts, you would put it the following way:
日本語を 学ぶ(勉強する) のは (未だ) 遅過ぎません。
Nihongo wo manabu (or benkyou suru) no ha, (mada) oso sugimasen.

Please note that the "topic particle" is written は, but pronounced ワ. の turns the preceding sentence into some sort of noun form, and with は you make a remark on "learning Japanese", namely that it is not too late. You can also add まだ to add a notion of "not yet [too late]".

Freely translated you could also say:
日本語の習得はどの年齢でも出来ると思います。
Nihongo no shuutoku ha, dono nenrei demo dekiru to omoimasu.
I think you can learn Japanese at any age.

Which I think sounds better.
blutorange

Native language: German

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 03.06.2011 2:39 pm

blutorange wrote:Hello 白(しろ)いさん,

Oso sugiru dewa arimasen wa nihongo wo manabimasu.
Nihonga wa oso sugiru dewa arimasen wo manabimasu

I think you are still thinking too much about English (or your native language's) word order. Your second sentence is grammatically incorrect. を is used to mark a noun (or noun phrase), so in your second sentence, it is not possible to add it after the verb ではありません. In fact, it might be taken to mean something like " 'Japanese's not being too late-ness' I learn." Your first sentence is almost correct, the two parts before and after the は should be swapped. It would probably be understood, but it sounds strange. A few modifications, though, and the sentence would also be correct in this order:
遅過ぎ無いのは日本語を学ぶ事です。
Oso suginai no ha, nihongo wo manabu koto desu.
What is not too late, is learning Japanese.

ではありません is used to negate adjective, but as for verbs, they have a conjugation themselves with ない, which you should use instead. こと is added to make the second part nominal. の turns the preceding sentence into some sort of noun form. Then you can use the standard construction (Thing A)は(Thing B)です, with A being "that which is not too late" and B "[the act of] studying Japanese".

More common, however, is:

Swapping the two parts, you would put it the following way:
日本語を 学ぶ(勉強する) のは (未だ) 遅過ぎません。
Nihongo wo manabu (or benkyou suru) no ha, (mada) oso sugimasen.

Please note that the "topic particle" is written は, but pronounced ワ. の turns the preceding sentence into some sort of noun form, and with は you make a remark on "learning Japanese", namely that it is not too late. You can also add まだ to add a notion of "not yet [too late]".

Freely translated you could also say:
日本語の習得はどの年齢でも出来ると思います。
Nihongo no shuutoku ha, dono nenrei demo dekiru to omoimasu.
I think you can learn Japanese at any age.

Which I think sounds better.

Thank you very much. Nihongo wo manabu no ha, oso sugimasen makes a lot of sense to me, I'll go with that form for now until I become more fluent.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby DarkAgent » Thu 03.10.2011 1:53 am

The above sounds OK, but if there are any native speakers around, could they let me know how the following compares?

日本語を勉強し始めるには、今からでも遅くない。
Nihongo o benkyou shi hajimeru ni wa, ima kara demo osokunai.
DarkAgent

Native language: English

Postby NileCat » Thu 03.10.2011 2:26 am

It sounds very natural and good. :)
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems