Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 9.0 Magnitude hits Japan (Miyagi Prefecture)

9.0 Magnitude hits Japan (Miyagi Prefecture)

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: 8.9 Magnitude hits Japan (Miyagi Prefecture)

Postby spin13 » Sun 03.13.2011 9:24 pm

Today at work we were briefed that our offices in the Tohoku region were receiving power. I don't know how widespread the power is, but even a little should be some help in the relief effort. Eastern Japan, including parts of Tokyo, is going on a power-sharing plan - each target area will turn off their power for 3 or more hours per day, staggered throughout the day by location. If you're trying to get in touch with people by email, expect longer delays than usual.

In Tokyo most stores are sold out of bread, rice, and tofu although yesterday there seemed to be no shortage of meats, vegetables, or pasta. The situation farther north is likely much more severe. Until transportation opens up distribution will likely lag and the situation may get worse even here.

The aftershocks continue. Just before I wrote this we felt a magnitude 3 in Tokyo (mag 6.2 in Ibaraki). Up to date earthquake information is available at http://typhoon.yahoo.co.jp/weather/jp/earthquake/ where data on the last 200 shocks is viewable.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby persephonequinn » Sun 03.13.2011 10:06 pm

@NileCat
thanks for the explanation about the mobile service.

Look at the aftershock records, really heart breaking.

Food allocation according to my local Chinese newspaper. They allocate food for the elderly (70 and above) and children (12 and below) as priority. I seriously salute Japan for their orderly manners in facing natural disaster.

日本頑張って!
日本頑張って!

Learning Japanese need disciplines..
http://nihongobenkyoushimasu.blogspot.com/ is where I put all my Minna no Nihongo Renshuu B answer there. Won't be 100% correct nor 100% wrong.

I <3 learning Languages n Nihongo is one of them
persephonequinn

Native language: English n 4 more

Postby NileCat » Mon 03.14.2011 1:45 am

72 hours have passed.
The death toll has risen to 1,648 and 1,720 are missing. BUT these numbers are only of the officially confirmed ones (whose names have been identified). Authorities say at least more than thousands of unidentified people are still missing. For instance, in Minami-sanriku-cho, Miyagi prefecture, it is said that approximately 10,000 people of the town seem to be missing.
All I can do is to pray for their safety.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby tōkai devotee » Mon 03.14.2011 7:35 am

Yes, I heard that a search and rescue team from Australia is going into Minami-sanriku-cho, Miyagi prefecture. They said that about 10,500 people are missing and despite the fact that the area is so hard to reach, they are determined to go in there and get the job done. I sure hope they find some people alive.
It's absolutely mind-blowing and heart-breaking to think of entire towns being destroyed.
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby HyeoshinX » Mon 03.14.2011 9:22 am

Yes, I agree. It is definitely devastating, what is worst for some of us is that we can't physically be there to help out. All I could do here in Australia is donate to the Red Cross. It is very frustrating not being able to do more than that!

My prayers extend to the people of Japan, to those whose family members are still missing and those who are still isolated.
HyeoshinX

Postby NileCat » Mon 03.14.2011 10:41 am

The major cellphone companies have started restricting telephone calls in Tokyo area today in order to avoid the communication flood.
NTT-docomo, the biggest company, limited the line up to 50% in Tokyo and Kanagawa, and 70% in Saitama and Chiba.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20110 ... om-bus_all
NileCat

Postby NileCat » Mon 03.14.2011 11:46 am

In the nuclear power plants, they are now struggling to stabilize the water level in the pressure vessels. Few minutes ago, they announced that in the Reactor No.2 in Fukushima Daiichi, the water level has gone down. They are now trying to find a way to inject water again by lowering the pressure inside.
NileCat

Postby Infidel » Mon 03.14.2011 1:23 pm

I just wanted to add my best wishes to all the others. I can't help but notice the silence of some of the other regulars that live in Japan still, and hope they are ok as well.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Txkun » Mon 03.14.2011 3:59 pm

HyeoshinX wrote:All I could do here in Australia is donate to the Red Cross. It is very frustrating not being able to do more than that!

Kochira koso.
I donated here.
http://www.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.6115947/k.8D6E/Official_Site.htm

I think every single dollar will be useful, this is a major catastrophe and with the support of everyone we can help Japan in the reconstruction.

I really pray for the normalization of the plant.
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby phreadom » Mon 03.14.2011 4:55 pm

I read this article yesterday about the nuclear plant issue.

http://theenergycollective.com/barrybro ... xplanation

It seems to give me a lot better feelings about what's going on there. Basically there is pretty much zero chance of anything like Chernobyl happening, or any serious radioactive fallout harming people.

That article could be a bit optimistic, but it's definitely a nice counter balance to all the fear and speculation we've been hearing.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby persephonequinn » Mon 03.14.2011 10:09 pm

日本頑張って!

http://nihongobenkyoushimasu.blogspot.com/ is where I put all my Minna no Nihongo Renshuu B answer there. Won't be 100% correct nor 100% wrong.

persephonequinn

Re: 9.0 Magnitude hits Japan (Miyagi Prefecture)

Postby persephonequinn » Tue 03.15.2011 12:01 am

Oh mine, the earthquake that hits Japan had changed from 8.9m to 9.0
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/world/Japan+earthquake+magnitude+increased+from+USGS/4438521/story.html
rank 4th in the world strongest earthquake ever hit since 1900
日本頑張って!

persephonequinn

Postby Hektor6766 » Tue 03.15.2011 12:51 am

What is the status of the food, medicine, clothing, sanitation supply?
Hektor6766

Postby ss » Tue 03.15.2011 3:07 am

Can check fromYomuiri Online, scroll all the way down to ライフライン、病院、避難所、通信、災害対策本部、on each page, you can further read news about ■青森 ■岩手 ■宮城 ■ 福島 ■茨城 ■栃木 ■千葉 ■新潟 ■ 長野.

Eric and Nilecat, thanks again for updating us. Stay safe.

We know that life is surely a lot different and harder than before, but we see power of great spirits and courageous people moving on with their lives despite all the hassles, inconveniences and threats. Take care and stay safe, everyone.

The Singapore Red Cross has opened hotlines for people who wish to make contribution, locals may contact them directly here
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby NileCat » Tue 03.15.2011 3:08 am

Thanks, Shirley.

@Hektor6766,
The mainland of Japan is not large compared to America or Australia. But 70% of it is mountainous land. When the coastline is destroyed, it is very difficult to reach the isolated areas. The main roads have been shredded and the bridges have been damaged.
At the moment approximately 520,000 people are obliged to stay in makeshift emergency centers that many of them don’t have electricity.
This is an article about one of those emergency centers last night. It says that the survivors there had to share one blanket with seven people.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20110 ... -maip-soci
NileCat

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan