Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What are the "20 days"?

What are the "20 days"?

Do you have a translation question?

What are the "20 days"?

Postby Michael_SD » Wed 03.16.2011 1:30 pm

Hi again,

The following is from one of the textbooks I use. As you can see, the original article was from a periodical. (朝日新聞)

I am unable to figure out the 20-day increase that the red highlighted text refers to. Actually, not only do I know what the 20 days are, but no matter what they happen to turn out to be, I do think I understand correctly that those 20 days are cumulative over the 3-year period. (As opposed to 20 days per year for 3 years.)

働く女性2759万人 3年続き増加
既婚者は11万人減 家庭との両立課題

06年の女性の労働力人口は前年比0.3%増の2759万人で、3年連続で増えたことが20日、厚生労働省がまとめた「働く女性の実情」(女性労働白書)でわかった。
Michael_SD

Native language: English

Re: What are the "20 days"?

Postby chikara » Wed 03.16.2011 10:57 pm

It is not 20 days but the 20th day.

The figures were released, made known (わかった), on the 20th of the month in the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare's Working Women White Paper (女性労働白書).

I suspect that this is the report dated 20-04-2007.

Michael_SD wrote:..... As you can see, the original article was from a periodical. (朝日新聞) ......

That is not a periodical but a daily news paper, the Asahi Shimbun, which explains why just the day of the month is given. The current month is implied.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Re: What are the "20 days"?

Postby Michael_SD » Thu 03.17.2011 12:46 pm

chikara wrote:It is not 20 days but the 20th day.

The figures were released, made known (わかった), on the 20th of the month in the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare's Working Women White Paper (女性労働白書).

I suspect that this is the report dated 20-04-2007.

Michael_SD wrote:..... As you can see, the original article was from a periodical. (朝日新聞) ......

That is not a periodical but a daily news paper, the Asahi Shimbun, which explains why just the day of the month is given. The current month is implied.

Wow, now I see. No wonder I couldn't get that 20 days (which I now know is the 20th of that month, as you explained) to fit in with what the article was discussing. Goes to show how far I am away from being able to read Japanese newspapers, I think. :shock:

I guess I probably should have caught that, but for whatever reason I let the newspaper format throw me off track. Thanks for setting me straight on this question.

Regarding the ministry's white paper to which you refer, I would bet that what you linked is an excellent candidate. The year it was published works out perfectly, time-wise.
Michael_SD

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion