Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Look what just came in.

Look what just came in.

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

Look what just came in.

Postby HyeoshinX » Sat 03.19.2011 2:30 am

Hey guys, I finally received my package a couple of days ago.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Too bad I can't get started on it yet... but I will soon!!!
HyeoshinX

Native language: English

Re: Look what just came in.

Postby Dustin » Sat 03.19.2011 2:53 am

Awesome!

Now put them to good use!
Dustin

Postby phreadom » Sat 03.19.2011 5:56 am

It's neat to see the new edition of Genki! :)

I have the previous one... which is fine for me... but now I'm a little jealous. ;) hehe

I also wanted to point out for those users here in the states, Clay also offers the second edition textbook and workbook at TheJapanShop.com, and because shipping is free within the states, you actually get them cheaper and you get to help support TJP! :D

http://www.thejapanshop.com/Genki-Secon ... B004QZFYX8

http://www.thejapanshop.com/Workbook-Se ... B004S3JZ7Y

(he doesn't appear to have the flashcards yet)

Please consider using TJS for your textbook needs, it helps keep TJP here as a free resource for Japanese language learners. :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Curry_Girl » Wed 05.04.2011 10:04 pm

I'm jealous too, but I'm glad i at least have the first edition. :3 Genki is a really good textbook, it's the most fun one I've had, no lies. XD It's easy to read and use.
Curry_Girl

Native language: American English

Postby Figurethree » Thu 05.05.2011 3:16 pm

Oooh shiney new edition of Genki! Do you know how different it is from the old edition? I probably won't buy it since I have both of the previous edition books, but I'm kinda curious if/how they revamped it. I have fond memories of the Genki books, heh.
Figurethree

Postby HyeoshinX » Tue 07.12.2011 2:50 am

Finally had time to do some chapters of the book! I was just wondering since this book is generally supposed to be use in classes, how did you guys (those who self-studied) go through the book. Especially the exercises in the textbook. Since you don't have a partner, do you guys skip that section or just briefly go through it?
HyeoshinX

Postby Budmas » Tue 07.12.2011 4:58 am

My set should be here by the end of the week. I'm excited about it, too. By coincidence, I was on the page yesterday and was checking on my order and saw the textbook in stock and grabbed it up, too. It appears you must need to know how to read Hiragana and Katakana to utilize the books effectively. Can't wait to go through it.
Buddy
バデイー
Budmas

Postby Shiroisan » Tue 07.12.2011 5:50 am

HyeoshinX wrote:Finally had time to do some chapters of the book! I was just wondering since this book is generally supposed to be use in classes, how did you guys (those who self-studied) go through the book. Especially the exercises in the textbook. Since you don't have a partner, do you guys skip that section or just briefly go through it?

The majority of the exercises don't ask for a partner, but for the ones that do- you could just practice boths sides of the conversation and get double the practice. :D

(tbh though I did skip some of those partner questions though 'cause I didn't have the patience)
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby Shiroisan » Tue 07.12.2011 5:52 am

Budmas wrote:My set should be here by the end of the week. I'm excited about it, too. By coincidence, I was on the page yesterday and was checking on my order and saw the textbook in stock and grabbed it up, too. It appears you must need to know how to read Hiragana and Katakana to utilize the books effectively. Can't wait to go through it.

The first two chapters use romaji as well to get you going. However, I found the romaji to be an annoyance because my eyes will naturally attatch to english writing over Japanese, and I actually wanted to practice reading...
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby Budmas » Tue 07.12.2011 6:10 am

Shiroisan wrote:The first two chapters use romaji as well to get you going. However, I found the romaji to be an annoyance because my eyes will naturally attatch to english writing over Japanese, and I actually wanted to practice reading...

Awesome. When I was in 9th grade, our textbooks were written in Hiragana/Katakana and the translation was not in Romaji, but was the actual English translation below it. You had to learn to read Kana in order to read the actual Japanese pronounciation. It made reading and memorizing Kana much easier.
Buddy
バデイー
Budmas

Postby HyeoshinX » Tue 07.12.2011 9:06 am

Shiroisan wrote:The first two chapters use romaji as well to get you going. However, I found the romaji to be an annoyance because my eyes will naturally attatch to english writing over Japanese, and I actually wanted to practice reading...

Couldn't agree with you more. After a while, romaji seems to "hinder" rather than help your learning process once you actually get off into learning the language. You just can't keep your eyes off it if it's there. Sigh*
HyeoshinX

Postby Budmas » Wed 07.13.2011 6:20 pm

Hi Hyeoshin,
My Genki Textbook and workbook arrived today! Can't wait to start. Are you having any problems with it at all? Just curious.

Oh... and どうも有賀と、Clay!
Buddy
バデイー
Budmas

Return to Genki Textbook