Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hi from a newbie

Hi from a newbie

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

Hi from a newbie

Postby TheEnglishKnitter » Thu 04.14.2011 2:56 pm

Hello,

I have just started learning Japanese, kind of a fun thing to do to keep my brain active.
I am 35 and I have a 2-yr old toddler in London, UK. I am a stay at home Mum and I love my job.
I realise I probably know less than most of you and I'm probably twice the age of the rest of you, but I'm giving it a go, and I'm enjoying what I have learnt so far.
I'm trying not to spend all of the grocery money on learning resources so I am doing this entirely through cheap apps on my phone and the great resource the interwebs.
So far I have learnt about 6 kana symbols, 5 verbs, a few nouns and a little grammar but it is going well. I know about 10 kanji too but thats because they seem so similar to the pictograms used in chinese mandarin (of which I know about 20!).

Anyway, hi
Oh, I'm also hugely into knitting and I'm a big fan of ravelry.com but I need to be able to actually write japanese to join the knit in Japanese groups!

x
TEK
TheEnglishKnitter

Native language: English

Re: Hi from a newbie

Postby phreadom » Thu 04.14.2011 7:57 pm

TJP e youkoso! (Welcome to TJP!) :wave:

Don't feel bad, I'm 37 and still a beginner myself. :whistle:

Glad to have you here! :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby chikara » Thu 04.14.2011 9:32 pm

TJP e youkoso :wave:

TheEnglishKnitter wrote:.... I have just started learning Japanese, kind of a fun thing to do to keep my brain active.
I am 35 ...... I realise I probably know less than most of you and I'm probably twice the age of the rest of you .....

I was 44 when I started learning Japanese and I'm still learning. As you say, it is a fun way to keep an older brain active. They say that learning a language can stave off dementia.

Learning a language delays dementia: study
.... Being bilingual, or even learning a second language late in life, has been shown to slow the decline of some key brain functions, said Ellen Bialystok of York University in Canada ....

TheEnglishKnitter wrote:....So far I have learnt about 6 kana symbols, 5 verbs, a few nouns . ...

The verb to knit is amu, 編む (あむ) and the noun for knitting, ie things that are knitted, is amimono, 編み物 (あみもの).

TheEnglishKnitter wrote:.... I know about 10 kanji too but thats because they seem so similar to the pictograms used in chinese mandarin .....

That may be because kanji (漢字, かんじ) literally means Chinese characters. :wink:

ganbatte :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby TheEnglishKnitter » Fri 04.15.2011 4:50 am

Thank you guys,
Now I am thrilled, not only am I a youngie but I now also know how to say 'knit'.
x
TEK
TheEnglishKnitter

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Fri 04.15.2011 10:19 am

TheEnglishKnitter wrote:... not only am I a youngie but I now also know how to say 'knit'. .....

:D
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Introductions