Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Lesson 7 知っている

Lesson 7 知っている

Discussions for those using the Genki Textbook series

Lesson 7 知っている

Postby genxia » Sat 04.09.2011 3:39 pm

Looking back on ch 7’s vocabulary, I noticed that I am slightly confused with something. The word 知っています is translated to "I know". I know that the ending ~ている is used for "-ing" and some verbs aren't exactly translated as "Verb-ing (vている)like the words しっています、ふとっています、おきています and so on.

As for 知っています (知っている) would it be wrong for me to use 知ります to say "I know"? If I can use 知ります what would be the diffrence between that and 知っています?

ありがとうございます。
genxia

Native language: English

Re: Lesson 7 知っている

Postby amochan » Sun 04.10.2011 3:12 am

知っている is sort of like a fixed pattern: it is used that way largely because it is simply habitually used this way.

However, I think I can explain a bit why it is that way. ~ている has another meaning in addition to the "-ing" meaning. It can describe the state of matters / result of an action, a bit like the present perfect tense in English: 台風が来ている means "the typhoon has come", for example. And 結婚はしていますか means "are you married?" (are you in the state of having married?). Your ふとっています and おきています are just examples of this meaning.

知る in this exact form usually means something like "to obtain the knowledge of something": for example, 日本のことを知る means "to get to know things about Japan". 知っている, therefore, describes the state of having obtained this knowledge, i.e. to "know" in English: 日本のことを知っている "I know about Japan" (I am in the state of having obtained knowledge about Japan).

On the other hand, when 知る is used in a negative form like 知らない, it tends to mean "to know" in English: "I don't know" is more commonly simply written as 知らない, instead of 知っていない. I have found and read explanations of why it's 知っている on one hand and 知らない on the other hand, but the explanation seems a bit forced, so I am inclined to think that it is that way simply because that's how it's habitually used.
いでや、この世に生れては、願はしかるべきことこそ多かめれ。
amochan

Native language: Cantonese (広東語)

Postby chikara » Sun 04.10.2011 8:37 pm

genxia wrote:..... As for 知っています (知っている) would it be wrong for me to use 知ります to say "I know"? .....

Yes, it would be wrong. :)

Further to amochan-san's explanation you may like to read Enduring state of being rather than enduring state of action in Tae Kim's guide.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby crazymonkeywhee » Mon 04.18.2011 7:26 pm

I don't know if you still need this but 知ります means "will know" and 知っています means "I know".

The purpose of the ます form is either to say you will do the verb in the future or that you do the verb as a habit. Therefore, 知ります will not work for "I know", plus you wouldn't really use 知ります for "you will know in the future" or "to know is a habit of mine".

In lesson 7 you learn that ている can describe a CHANGE and the RESULT OF THE CHANGE. So, 知っています technically means "I now know", describing a change from you previously not knowing.

I hope this helps!
crazymonkeywhee

Native language: English

Return to Genki Textbook